Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I almost thought this was fake. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/370542-i-almost-thought-fake.html)

Wildman_grafix 02-25-2021 06:10 AM

I almost thought this was fake.

As someone living in Florida that sometimes has to evacuate in long slow lines this seems like it may be a bad idea.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/gm-anno...yDLpCnLx5Y7hL8

phragle 02-25-2021 06:19 AM

The problem... We do not have the electrical infrastructure to charge all these proposed electrical cars... sure we could build that, bit who is going to pay for it???

thirdchildhood 02-25-2021 06:23 AM

I don't think an electric vehicle will last like the '82 Mustang GT which i have owned since 1984.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...6bcb742903.jpg

Indy 02-25-2021 06:39 AM

That's 14 years from now, given the present infrastructure and technology it's alarming, however that's a long time for advancements.

t500hps 02-25-2021 06:42 AM

How many of us travel over 250 miles in a day? I'm not even counting trips towing a boat. I don't do it often but I damn sure do it occasionally. So now I have to stop somewhere for 1/2 a day to re-charge. Hell, I get impatient having to stop for 5-10 minutes to fill the take back up! LOL

302Sport 02-25-2021 07:11 AM

How about pieces of equipment that run at heavy load % all day?? Bulldozer, excavator, 18 wheeler, dump trucks, boats, etc..... I could be wrong but I do not think they are even close to replacing the Diesel engine in a D8 pushing piles all day and have it last worth a damn.

Wally 02-25-2021 07:26 AM

I predict this time table will be postponed multiple times and internal combustion is going no where anytime soon!
Although with GM as of late they have REALLY been disappointing me with their options. Nothing to go up against the Ford Raptor or Dodge TRX and no SUV's to go against the SRT suvs or the Ford Explorer ST :( It may be a small niche market but i see TONS of those trucks flying around here around Chicago! And if they do go this route....then i predict that GM has nailed its coffin shut as there are not enough snowflakes out there to buy enough green cars to sustain them! My two step kids could care less about having a car! They either Uber everywhere or rent one of those community rental cars if they need to get around.......little do they realize they are probably spending more on those forms of transport then just owning a car! I dont know what the hell is happening with this world today but i hope to god im not here if they ever take away my right to drive my own car!!!

hoodoo 02-25-2021 07:40 AM

The phosphate mines use electric draglines but they don’t run off batteries. They have in house line men crews and equipment that erect and remove infrastructure as they go. They generally stay in one area for several months. As far as farm crops failing? I’ve been growing fruit and veg crops in different locations for 40 years and have lost several crops due to cold but never lost a single piece of fruit to heat. Plants are very sensitive to average temps that they are subjected (heat units) to during their life cycle and can become economically unviable if heat units, growing degree days, or chill hours vary outside of the norms for any given growing region. In other words a farmer would have to relocate his operations up or down in elevation or latitude if these temp changes were enough to be detrimental.
I grow the same crops in the same places I did 40 years ago and they still act the same. The plants don’t lie.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...58bfccd4d.jpeg

t500hps 02-25-2021 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 4778968)
I predict this time table will be postponed multiple times and internal combustion is going no where anytime soon!
Although with GM as of late they have REALLY been disappointing me with their options. Nothing to go up against the Ford Raptor or Dodge TRX and no SUV's to go against the SRT suvs or the Ford Explorer ST :( It may be a small niche market but i see TONS of those trucks flying around here around Chicago! And if they do go this route....then i predict that GM has nailed its coffin shut as there are not enough snowflakes out there to buy enough green cars to sustain them! My two step kids could care less about having a car! They either Uber everywhere or rent one of those community rental cars if they need to get around.......little do they realize they are probably spending more on those forms of transport then just owning a car! I dont know what the hell is happening with this world today but i hope to god im not here if they ever take away my right to drive my own car!!!

Depends on where they live. My brother has lived in NYC since he left college over 20 years ago. We were talking about cars (he's never owned one). Since he keeps a tight budget, I asked how much he spent on transportation every month. He said about $250 total. He buys bus/subway passes, an Uber, or occasionally rents a car if traveling/on vacation. Even without car payments (we don't have any) I spend more than that when you consider gas, property taxes, and maintenance.

However like you......I'm NOT going without my own vehicle(s) :)

Keith Atlanta 02-25-2021 07:53 AM

They may stop production but the used market will continue. Imagine what the depreciation and value will be, the used market will be nuts? The parts market will be insane! Its gonna be crazy! Diesel trucks might be like planes, maybe they will appreciate!

Ive read two interesting articles over the past week about Porsche and a chemical company as well as a few other companies creating new fuels that can run in existing internal combustion engines with ZERO emissions. I still dont see the true benefit of electricity with the current battery technology and "green" disposal. I just dont see it being cleaner. IMSA has a hydrogen class coming out in 2023, and Formula 1 has discussed it too, so, somebody thinks there will be alternatives. 15-20 years out I wonder if the production of a car will be cheaper for all electric or conventional internal combustion, thats the real driver...