Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Slip Parking Orientation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/370578-slip-parking-orientation.html)

baldo 02-27-2021 02:02 PM

Slip Parking Orientation

Parking

For the people with lifts, do you prefer to back your boat in or pull it in forward? Ordering a left and trying to decide if one is better than the other.

AllDodge 02-27-2021 02:40 PM

Depends on the type of boat but most back in. Back in if you get on/off at the stern. If you get on/off on the sides then which ever you prefer. It does also helps to back in to keep an eye on the drives

baldo 02-27-2021 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by AllDodge (Post 4779320)
Depends on the type of boat but most back in. Back in if you get on/off at the stern. If you get on/off on the sides then which ever you prefer. It does also helps to back in to keep an eye on the drives

it is a 35’ statement. So will be loading from back corner. But outboards will hold it off the dock.

speicher lane 02-27-2021 03:20 PM

In addition to AllDodge comment, it also depends on the type of lift and water depth. Backing over the lift to put the boat away and getting clear shot straight out is great but you need the water depth to safely submerge the cradle to clear the lower units EVERYTIME including summer low water levels (if applicable).

debcod2 02-27-2021 03:22 PM

we back our 36 concept on the lift and board off back corner as well. I put walk way on lift and we set a step stool on platform to help get in and out of it, etc.

baldo 02-27-2021 04:03 PM

Depth isn’t an issue at our lake. They are quoting me an extra 2k to back in. I am doing 2’ of walk boards down both sides of the boat.

AllDodge 02-27-2021 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by baldo (Post 4779327)
Depth isn’t an issue at our lake. They are quoting me an extra 2k to back in. I am doing 2’ of walk boards down both sides of the boat.

If its a hydrohoist its a rip off, but that is what they change. All it takes to lower it more is replace the arm ends. They slide out the the short ones and install longer ones.

I bought a used one, saved a bunch

36Tango 02-27-2021 04:43 PM

I back in our Formula 370ss for the ease of entry. I drive our Skater straight in and board on the side of the back deck. Both at LOTO on floating lifts. Our Glacier Bay cat offshore boat on a cable lift in Florida I pull straight in and board over the gunwale. All of them work well. I would guess that backing in would be the best.

GLENAMY 242SS 02-27-2021 04:48 PM

Be sure to consider the view if you "lounge" on the boat

F14A water jet 02-27-2021 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by speicher lane (Post 4779323)
In addition to AllDodge comment, it also depends on the type of lift and water depth. Backing over the lift to put the boat away and getting clear shot straight out is great but you need the water depth to safely submerge the cradle to clear the lower units EVERYTIME including summer low water levels (if applicable).

Nose in due to depth of water (also consider clearing the cradle on the sand bottom) at lowest tide.