Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Silent Choice - PowerQuest 280 Silencer (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/371874-silent-choice-powerquest-280-silencer.html)

Brad Christy 06-02-2021 02:49 PM

Silent Choice - PowerQuest 280 Silencer

Guys,

The family just bought a 2002 280 Silencer with the 496MAG HO. The boat has really low hours on it (~145), and its in all but pristine shape (Something I've noticed over the years about PQs in general). After a handful of outings on it, one little gremlin has popped up. The silent choice seems to be intermittently not working, particularly the starboard side. It's not really a big deal to me, as I could do without it altogether, but the wife likes to be able to talk at an idle and such.

Is this something that others have seen? Is it more likely an electrical thing, like the solenoids, or a mechanical thing, like buildup around the hinge pin(s)? I had the hatch up a couple times, toggling them on and off, and there have been a couple times the port side (the more reliable side) kicked, but the starboard side hesitated for a couple seconds, then kicked. Not really sure what this means, but......

I've been around boating my whole life, growing up on a scratch build, starting with a '76 21' Nordic shallow V with a blown 482 V-drive. I'm also a toolmaker by trade, so I'm pretty handy and fairly mechanically inclined. I'm not at all afraid to get out the wrenches and go to town, but I have ZERO experience with silent choice. Just looking for ideas as to where to start first.

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991

Ultraboy 06-02-2021 04:03 PM

That’s a common problem. Not sure the exact cause. Corsa does sell a replacement kit though, which works well. I believe the replacement kit includes an upgraded design & solenoids.

welcome to the Powerquest family, there a great boat. Have lots of experience with one. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

madbouyz 06-02-2021 04:57 PM

If they're switched off (flappers closed) and you pull the arms by hand to open them manually is the tension equal on both sides ?

seafordguy 06-02-2021 05:05 PM

Best thing I ever did was spring 900 bucks on tails to do away with with Captains choice. Between the 4 hinges, one was always leaking at the beginning of every season.....

Dave M 06-03-2021 08:20 AM

Are you talking about the Mercury silent choice (air activated) system or Corsa?

My mercury system used to close on it's own sometimes. Finally, I just used zip ties to keep it open all the time. I removed the system when I repowered.

Brad Christy 06-04-2021 06:16 AM

Dave,

I'd have to hop up there and have a look, but I know I've got Corsa paperwork in the packet of stuff we got with the boat. I'll have a closer look under the hatch this weekend.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Brad Christy 06-04-2021 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 4792190)
Best thing I ever did was spring 900 bucks on tails to do away with with Captains choice. Between the 4 hinges, one was always leaking at the beginning of every season.....

SeaFordGuy,

Not gonna happen. I like the thump too much for that. As I said, I'd do away with them altogether, but the wife like to be able to shut it the Hell up on occasion. So, the only course of action is to keep them working.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Brad Christy 06-04-2021 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by madbouyz (Post 4792189)
If they're switched off (flappers closed) and you pull the arms by hand to open them manually is the tension equal on both sides ?

MadBouys,

I'll run the test over the weekend.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

tripower 06-14-2021 08:21 PM

On my Powerquest 270, the Corsa system wasn't receiving quite enough amps to shut the flappers reliably. If you hit the switch and one or both didn't open, I could manually pull them open and then it would stay open. So it had enough power to hold them open but not enough to pull them. For me, the fix was to run a new fused power line directly from the battery switch to the Corsa harness red wire.. The original Corsa harness was pulling power from the engine harness and not directly from the battery.

seafordguy 06-14-2021 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Christy (Post 4792383)
SeaFordGuy,

Not gonna happen. I like the thump too much for that. As I said, I'd do away with them altogether, but the wife like to be able to shut it the Hell up on occasion. So, the only course of action is to keep them working.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

My recommendation was to do away with the mufflers, not the thru Hull. You will get so used to the noise so quickly you won't think twice about it. The only time wet pipes are too loud is when you are backed into a dock and it is reverberating. Other than that you will get used to them quickly.....