Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Formula and Fountain used boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/372333-formula-fountain-used-boats.html)

99fxst99 07-04-2021 12:59 PM

Formula and Fountain used boats

OK, not trying to start a war here, but trying to get some feedback. I follow the Formula and Fountain sites on Facebook. Seems there is a lot of conversation on the Fountain site about wet transoms and stringers on used Fountains. The Formula site does not seem to mention this hardly at all. Is there that much difference in build quality in the older Fountains and Formulas?

madbouyz 07-04-2021 01:24 PM

I have to admit that I too have been surprised at the amount of discussion related to Fountains about rotted stringers , transoms and floors on boats that I wouldn't consider to be old.
But it seems they're not entirely alone in this amongst somewhat newer builds and 'quality names' as well .
Are these builders buying cheap wood , or are they not taking the time to glass and seal properly ?

Canuck B Crazy 07-04-2021 01:42 PM

I'm looking at a 1990 Fountain Lightning and a 1989 Formula 357SR1. So subscribed to this thread. Will say either deal I'll have a survey done.

jeff32 07-04-2021 03:22 PM

My 89 formula 357 i sold in 2011 still had the original transom and surveyed very good! My 2006 fountain 47 in 2010 had the transom... not wet, not rotted, but in dirt!!! Nothing left or almost! None, i repeat, none of the exhaust tips were sealed ever... so... get a good survey!

madbouyz 07-04-2021 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 4796061)
My 89 formula 357 i sold in 2011 still had the original transom and surveyed very good! My 2006 fountain 47 in 2010 had the transom... not wet, not rotted, but in dirt!!! Nothing left or almost! None, i repeat, none of the exhaust tips were sealed ever... so... get a good survey!

Pretty pizz poor when you consider we're talking about big ticket items and the miniscule amount of time it would take to seal up all cutouts in relation to the amount of time it takes to build the boat itself. Profit$ over quality.

It's like builders using plastic (delrin ?) through hulls. How much more are proper s/s or chromed bronze ones going to add to the price ?

bajaholic 07-04-2021 10:24 PM

My observation or hypothesis....

Formula Boats, Not really a true performance minded market. Yes they were sporty, but mostly a cross over market buyer family sport to light performance.

Fountain. The performance guys, can never leave anything alone. Often breaking things because want the most out of everything and pushing the limits, thus; Taken apart more times and not sealed up each time.
Also, some of the models rear never really leaves the water. Then you throw into the mix the different exhaust styles, gain, always tinkering...

This is meant to be a less than serious post, but... I think we can all agree there may, be some truth to it.

Wildman_grafix 07-05-2021 08:16 AM

There is also the numbers game, fountain made a TON of boats.

formulas are also know to have separation issues, there are a few threads on this. When its a old boat just check it out.

I also feel the older fountains were build better than the latter ones.

rak rua 07-05-2021 08:54 AM

Don’t be put off by stories of wet transoms and stringers, just do your homework and survey/check things thoroughly so you know what you’re getting in for. I think most older boats could suffer the same issues. It’s not exclusive to just one or two brands.

Treat every old boat as a potential mess until you can prove otherwise!

RR

1MOSES1 07-05-2021 09:21 AM

anyone know the history on some of the boats discussed with wet stringers and transoms…

were they left outside uncovered and neglected? we’re they left in the water?

I have a hard time believing boats that are covered and not left in the water would have issues.

sailtexas186548 07-05-2021 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1 (Post 4796115)
anyone know the history on some of the boats discussed with wet stringers and transoms…

were they left outside uncovered and neglected? we’re they left in the water?

I have a hard time believing boats that are covered and not left in the water would have issues.

I believe boats stored outside, covered or not, are the highest potential for rotten wood especially if they are in a high humidity/rainfall region. Same deal with cars