Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anybody been passed by JetSki? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/372392-anybody-been-passed-jetski.html)

resurrected 07-08-2021 02:23 PM

Anybody been passed by JetSki?

I took the nephew out for his first time in my POS. It was a beauty day, nice and warm, really calm, maybe a consistent 4" roller. Anyway, we were cruising along at about 60, when a Waverunner creeps up beside us. Seeing as I had my nephew with me, I was forced to put some distance between us and the lake lice. After opening the exhaust to let them breath, I pushed the sticks to the stops with confidence, believing the pest would be a blue speck in our prop wash. So I look over my shoulder to verify that I can back off the throttles, only to be shocked to see it actually gaining on us. At that point I was really glad I had just installed trim switches on the sticks that morning. I trimmed it out so there couldn't have been much gel still touching the water. Thankfully we managed to pull ahead of it, but not by much. The speedo is on the passenger side and he swears he saw 90, probably high 80's, but who knew Tyler Crockett, or at least a close retaliative was up in Ontario on a PWC!

Wally 07-08-2021 02:48 PM

Wally 07-08-2021 02:49 PM

these guys stuffed an LS motor into one :D and i believe they are up in Canada somewhere... LOL

cdaniel525 07-08-2021 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by resurrected (Post 4796558)
I took the nephew out for his first time in my POS. It was a beauty day, nice and warm, really calm, maybe a consistent 4" roller. Anyway, we were cruising along at about 60, when a Waverunner creeps up beside us. Seeing as I had my nephew with me, I was forced to put some distance between us and the lake lice. After opening the exhaust to let them breath, I pushed the sticks to the stops with confidence, believing the pest would be a blue speck in our prop wash. So I look over my shoulder to verify that I can back off the throttles, only to be shocked to see it actually gaining on us. At that point I was really glad I had just installed trim switches on the sticks that morning. I trimmed it out so there couldn't have been much gel still touching the water. Thankfully we managed to pull ahead of it, but not by much. The speedo is on the passenger side and he swears he saw 90, probably high 80's, but who knew Tyler Crockett, or at least a close retaliative was up in Ontario on a PWC!

Many stock skis these days are 70+mph... With a few mods they easily push past 80, heavily modded skis can break 100 which is absurd on such a small craft but don't sleep on them like 20 years ago

resurrected 07-08-2021 02:53 PM

That is awesome!

Keith Atlanta 07-08-2021 03:20 PM

Alright, just stop it right there.... Just stop talking about wave runners.

70MPH on glass. PERIOD You wont see any of these clowns hauling azz on the way home from tie-up cove because they cant run more than 20MPH in 6 INCH swells.
They are stupid for anything more than a 5 minute joyride. Case closed. :)

WaveRunner = Unicycle = Tits on bull = Useless

Smarty 07-08-2021 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta (Post 4796574)

70MPH on glass. PERIOD You wont see any of these clowns hauling azz on the way home from tie-up cove because they cant run more than 20MPH in 6 INCH swells.

Keith I respect your opinion but.....whatever I can drive or be a passenger in (a passenger only in a car or boat) on water or on land, that is built to go fast I want to participate, be it in a car, truck, lawnmower, motorcycle, moped, dirt bike, snow mobile, ect., I want to go as fast as possible, that is the hot-rodder in me.

I would love to have a fast jet-ski/wave runner as well as a fast bass boat, a fast V- bottom, flat-bottom ski-boat (Hondo or classic Sanger), a fast CAT, a fast pontoon boat, you get my point, anything on water that goes fast, even a Hobie cat sailboat and a small sunfish sailboat for a small pond (keep in mind I am not a sailboat enthusiast, at all).

To use a phrase from Ricky Bobby, "I Just Wanna Go Fast!" ; and no, I was never passed by a jet ski (in the past, I am boat-less at present). I am daydreaming again on going fast!

I would like own an 80 + mph Wave Runner would be cool, but I am not spending my money on that at this time, and probably never.

bajaman 07-08-2021 04:59 PM

I've got two Sea Doos, both run in the high 50s - low 60s range and that is plenty fast for me. They are fun in their own right, and they make for a nice "get on the water" experience when I can't get on the boat. The lake I take them to tends to get very rough with a typical Kansas south wind, and 2' - 3' rollers are pretty common and yeah...not so much fun getting your balls slammed into your tonsils, lol! Luckily there are some nice coves where one can get out of the worst of it.
As mentioned, there are some STUPID fast modified PWCs out there, but even the stock ones, the high performance ones have ~300 hp and hit 60 in something stupid like 2.5 seconds...FEROCIOUS acceleration that frankly, would be a BLAST!

ICDEDPPL 07-08-2021 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta (Post 4796574)

My supercharged Yamaha is a blast to run, so much acceleration it wants to rip my arms off . I have a fu ck load of fun on it .
Sorry you`re such a hater but they are a ton of fun. The bigger the water the more I enjoy it.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...859f46a156.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...b400a13871.jpg

Rookie 07-09-2021 12:07 AM

My painter and I took his 1200's (70 mph) out on Lake Michigan for a lunch run from GH to Muskegon. (13 miles each way) It was a blast. The lake was fairly calm, but there were a ton of boat wakes to make it challenging. I was never a fan of them until that day.