Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Georgia or South Carolina (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/372797-georgia-south-carolina.html)

badmonkey 08-03-2021 01:29 PM

Georgia or South Carolina

Wife and I are starting to figure where we will go once daughter is out of grad school. We've considered Sarasota Fla or the West coast of Fla but honestly I am not sure I want to be around all the busy busy....I am thinking of mountain home near a lake where we can still enjoy our boating...I do not want to be boating on a small lake...We boat on the Chesapeake Bay right now so I am not sure how I will like lake boating... Hoping I could get some insight from members....Want to keep our home budget no more than 350K... I do not even know if we are being realistic.

Thanks,

SecondWind 08-03-2021 02:07 PM

Lake Keowee, SC

Slippery 08-03-2021 02:23 PM

I love Fl, my parents have had a place there - first on the gulf side, now in the Vero / Ft Pierce area - for several years, but I don't think I could live there.

I'm embarrassingly ignorant RE our eastern seaboard, but I can tell you that in my opinion mid to NW Michigan has some of the most beautiful water in the world...for about 1/3 of the year.

Water so blue it looks like the Caribbean, and in parts so clear it looks like the boat is suspended in the air. Large inland lakes, and harbor ports all up and down the coast provide incredible opportunities for travel by boat...when Lake Mi cooperates enough to allow it.

If you can handle the winter weather, or more correctly if you want to handle the winter weather, it's a great place..there are a lot of MI OSO members who I'm sure all have a list of "don't miss" they'd be happy to share. Visit in the summer, but visit in the winter, because the "not summer" season is a lot bigger part of the deal than the summer part, but when it's nice here it's "Chamber of Commerce" nice.

Politics ? The state tends red, with the big cities mostly blue & make for "interesting" political discussions. Our last local township elections several of the seats went to republicans running unopposed, so it really just means you need to do your homework on where you want to live.

outta control 08-03-2021 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by SecondWind (Post 4800125)
Lake Keowee, SC

What are you buying on Keowee for 350K ?? Plus it's a small lake.

Yall welcome to come check out Hartwell anytime. But for decent place with good water looking 500k min.

badmonkey 08-03-2021 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by outta control (Post 4800142)
What are you buying on Keowee for 350K ?? Plus it's a small lake.

Yall welcome to come check out Hartwell anytime. But for decent place with good water looking 500k min.

Sam,

Thanks for replying... Wendy and I will come visit with you guys and look around for sure....We are in the "figure it out" process now....we are slammed with work and have zero time to get away now but I will call you in the coming weeks so we can chat. Say hello to everyone and speak soon my friend.

Thanks,

compedgemarine 08-03-2021 05:14 PM

I am in NE Georgia. 30 min to Lanier, hour to Hartwell but I dont live on the water. have 5 acres near the mountains. I prefer the peace and quite and privacy more than I want to be on the water full time.

ToMorrow44 08-03-2021 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine (Post 4800152)
I am in NE Georgia. 30 min to Lanier, hour to Hartwell but I dont live on the water. have 5 acres near the mountains. I prefer the peace and quite and privacy more than I want to be on the water full time.

what city? I’m looking at moving up that way next year. I’d like a nice chunk of property

ToMorrow44 08-03-2021 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by badmonkey (Post 4800114)
Wife and I are starting to figure where we will go once daughter is out of grad school. We've considered Sarasota Fla or the West coast of Fla but honestly I am not sure I want to be around all the busy busy....I am thinking of mountain home near a lake where we can still enjoy our boating...I do not want to be boating on a small lake...We boat on the Chesapeake Bay right now so I am not sure how I will like lake boating... Hoping I could get some insight from members....Want to keep our home budget no more than 350K... I do not even know if we are being realistic.

Thanks,

I think you’d like lake Hartwell. I don’t think you’ll be on the water for 350k but near the lake sure. Big lake, fairly quiet, clean water, sights to see, etc.

badmonkey 08-03-2021 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine (Post 4800152)

PM sent

thank you

compedgemarine 08-03-2021 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44 (Post 4800155)
what city? I’m looking at moving up that way next year. I’d like a nice chunk of property

I live just outside of Dahlonega. I am near several nice wineries and the mountains. I can be in Charlotte in 3 hours or so, Knoxville in 3 hours, I like the seasons, hate the heat of FL which is why I left there, only see snow for maybe a couple weeks during the winter, worst part of where I am is the weekend tourists especially during "leaf" season in the fall.