Who’s blown a Imco SCX or SCX-4?

Notices

Who’s blown a Imco SCX or SCX-4?

Old 08-20-2021, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondWind
Yes timing chain in the engine. I heard that’s rare. I’m not mechanically inclined but I wondered if the coupler that was replaced by the drive guardian dampened some of the stress from the drive to the engine. Does that make sense? It may not, I don’t know🤷🏻‍♂️
not to me........

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 08-20-2021 at 10:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by F-2 Speedy:
bulletbob (08-20-2021), ttuton (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

Pretty damn unlikely your drive had anything to do with your timing chain braking!
Old 08-20-2021, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondWind
Yes timing chain in the engine. I heard that’s rare. I’m not mechanically inclined but I wondered if the coupler that was replaced by the drive guardian dampened some of the stress from the drive to the engine. Does that make sense? It may not, I don’t know🤷🏻‍♂️
​​​​​​
i would say just the opposite. The drive gaurdin helps decouple the engine and drive. Any stress on the drive would be transmitted to the engine. Reducing the stress on the drive would reduce stress on rhe engine.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

I’ve spun a coupler before w/ a high HP single engine cat and it threw rubber everywhere. The drive guardian to my knowledge is a clutch design as in ceramic on ceramic plates. Which of the two designs would transmit more stress on the rotating assembly of the engine?
Old 08-21-2021, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

Gonna be pretty hard for any force from the prop to be transmitted through the drive and then through the crank to the front of a v8 engine no matter what coupler is used. Never enough to brake a timing chain, well, you would be the first. Being the drive guardian is better at protecting drive from shock, it would have to be better for the engine as well.
Old 08-21-2021, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Most likely a weak timing chain that was destined to fail soon. The odds of the timing chain failure being related to the Drive Guardians are too small to consider.
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (08-21-2021)