Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Launch / Holeshot what is safe for your drives? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/372913-launch-holeshot-what-safe-your-drives.html)

540Fever 08-10-2021 09:27 PM

Launch / Holeshot what is safe for your drives?

I realize it's a question with a million variables, but i'll ask anyway.

I'm new to boats, but have been around performance cars a long time so I understand power/parts/weight all play a factor. Generally speaking, if you're taking off from idle how aggressive should/can you be with the throttle? I had my boat out the first time last weekend and was really easing into it out of the hole in fear of breaking something. The guy I purchased from didn't seem like he beat on the boat at all, so it may just be his mindset to play it safe and put less stress on the drives. I've launched cars on slicks at 4k RPM and never had an issue, but maybe boats are different lol

What's the consensus?

SB 08-10-2021 09:31 PM

Pretend your boat has a very weak expensive outdrive that can and will break quickly. Oh wait, it does. :(
. Say no to ‘holeshots.”

Torque loading it is a killer.

JaayTeee 08-10-2021 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by 540Fever (Post 4801192)
I realize it's a question with a million variables, but i'll ask anyway.

I'm new to boats, but have been around performance cars a long time so I understand power/parts/weight all play a factor. Generally speaking, if you're taking off from idle how aggressive should/can you be with the throttle? I had my boat out the first time last weekend and was really easing into it out of the hole in fear of breaking something. The guy I purchased from didn't seem like he beat on the boat at all, so it may just be his mindset to play it safe and put less stress on the drives. I've launched cars on slicks at 4k RPM and never had an issue, but maybe boats are different lol

What's the consensus?

The rear end gears in your car were large and the car was light, the boat is heavier and the drives have gears in them that are of the size that would work nice in a garden tractor;)

SABER28 08-10-2021 10:24 PM

things i dont understand? guy at a neighboring cottage has a small Baja with a 400 hp 350 chevy. completely floors it every time he takes off for 10 years or more.????? drive never has broken. lol

540Fever 08-10-2021 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by JaayTeee (Post 4801205)
The rear end gears in your car were large and the car was light, the boat is heavier and the drives have gears in them that are of the size that would work nice in a garden tractor;)

I watched a rebuild video and the ring and pinion are pretty small. My logic was slicks which don’t slip at all versus a prop that will spin some in the water.

Note taken though - take it easy.

SB 08-10-2021 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by SABER28 (Post 4801207)
things i dont understand? guy at a neighboring cottage has a small Baja with a 400 hp 350 chevy. completely floors it every time he takes off for 10 years or more.????? drive never has broken. lol

You next door ? Lololol
But it’s been 15 yrs. ? :)

Torque vs weight (which includes water resistance) . This is why small boats with small blocks and small diam props can give the Alpha drive hell.

phragle 08-10-2021 11:47 PM

You have a ford excursion with a built motor, drag slicks and the rear end out of a 72 pinto.... punch it !!!

Terms you understand??

Indy 08-11-2021 05:48 AM

Why beat on your equipment, fixing stuff and spending money on parts was never my idea of more fun than boating. Boats break enough, they don't need extra help.

marks86 08-11-2021 07:19 AM

You need enough throttle to get you up on plane quick enough so you don’t look like an idiot

Helmwurst 08-11-2021 07:50 AM

Give it hell $$$$$. Marine tech's have to make a living too !!! LOL $$$