Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Another 525 anomaly… anyone had this before (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/372958-another-525-anomaly%85-anyone-had-before.html)

greg800le 08-15-2021 03:56 PM

Another 525 anomaly… anyone had this before

OK, I was returning home in the 35 Fountain w 525s when shortly after getting on plane I noticed some minor fluttering of the needles on the Starboard Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, & Water Temp gauges. The tach, fuel level and water pressure gauges operated normally. Port Gauges were all steady and both engines were running proper pressures & temps. The starboard gauge flutter was very slight moving the needle about 5-10 psi/degrees above and below the expected reading. I thought it might be a bad ground and made a mental note to have them checked. About 5 minutes into running @ 3500 rpm a steady alarm went off for both engines. I throttled back and put the drives in neutral before shutting down both engines. All gauges were reading normal before shutting off the engines. I checked the engines and drive lube, no apparent issues. The port engine fired up and ran with no alarm, but the starboard engine (which had the fluttering gauges) was dead, no lights, no fuel pump, no apparent power. I checked the shift lever for neutral, but still nothing for the starboard engine. I limped home on one engine. The boat is now with the marine shop and I hope it is nothing serious.

funny thing is I had the alarm for both engines sound 3 years ago after a short run and then shifting to neutral, but both engines started and ran fine afterwards and no fault codes were found by the mechanics. At the time I thought it might be a sticky IAC and had them ruled out. I had no alarms since then, until now.

My question to the forum members…. Have you ever experienced this before, and if so, what was the issue?

Thanks

Greg

AllDodge 08-15-2021 04:13 PM

Steady beep for 525
Low sea water pressure
Coolant overheat
Low oil pressure
Charge Temp high
Crankshaft position sensor rational

My guess would be on the raw water pressure sensor

Unlimited jd 08-15-2021 04:59 PM

Considering it won’t start now, you may have a bad battery. I’ve had them shut off while running because of a bad battery

underpsi68 08-15-2021 05:51 PM

I would start by checking grounds and connections.

greg800le 08-15-2021 08:40 PM

I switched batteries at the time and no change. I don’t know if the fluttering gauges are associated to the alarm or dead engine, but sure is a coincidence. I should find out later this week. Hope the news isn’t too bad… or expensive.

PARADOX 08-19-2021 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by greg800le (Post 4801752)
I switched batteries at the time and no change. I don’t know if the fluttering gauges are associated to the alarm or dead engine, but sure is a coincidence. I should find out later this week. Hope the news isn’t too bad… or expensive.

Does the engine turn over or not.
I had a similar gremlin, took for ever to locate. No power, no turning over, no fault codes. Turned out a loos wire to the "slave" solenoid on the top of the motor, near the ECM. Cleaned it ,pinched it a bit for a good connection, started right up. Took me months to find. You can't see the lower wire connection. Good luck.

VortechSS 08-19-2021 11:42 AM

Do you have analog gauges with an AGI converter in the dash? Sometimes they cause gauges to do funky things and a restart makes it go away. My 525 powered Top Gun would sometimes do that on one side.

Your issue does seem to be low voltage or a loose connection at face value.

F-2 Speedy 08-19-2021 12:00 PM

might of popped this guy

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...bbe537ec99.jpg

RaggedEdge 08-19-2021 05:27 PM

Welcome to the club! I have been chasing some crazy codes with mine as well. These 525's are great motors but when the throw a hissy fit they can be a PIA to sort out without your own Merc scan tool and expert to run it for you. Speaking for my own non tech savy azz.

greg800le 08-19-2021 06:13 PM

Thanks for all your replies. In response to those received since my last post, there was no power at all to the starboard engine, just as if I pulled the kill switch. Yet the port engine fired up and ran fine, albeit at low rpm, because I only ran 1400 rpm to get back to the ramp. The gauges are the original (2005) Livorsi analog gauges and I don’t know if came with an AGI converter. I’m hoping it’s a grounding or simple fix. My mechanical abilities are limited but I’m lucky to have a Mercury Racing dealer close by. Unfortunately for me this dealer is so good they’re quite busy. They have told me my boat is in queue for next week. This is my 8th season in this boat and the only other (real) problem I had were bad IACs a year after I bought it. I do love my 525s (and the of course my Fountain)

I have to say it is concerning when a steady alarm (lights & audio) sound while cruising. I felt as if I couldn’t get the engines shut off quick enough while throttling back and trying to view all gauges to determine if something was off. In this case, all gauges were reading normally before I shut it down.

I greatly enjoy reading and sharing stories with the OSO family. It adds a whole new dimension to power boating.