Do you shut motor off offshore? >

Do you shut motor off offshore?

Notices

Do you shut motor off offshore?

Old 09-09-2021, 11:17 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

If it's rough, no; not unless required. Last thing I want is to need to move or get on plane in a hurry, and have to re-fire or fight a starting issue. If you take water over the transom, you could have a soaked starter that doesn't want to work.

But if it's calm and manageable, yes.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-09-2021 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (09-21-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
We shut them off why would it be a big deal not to? If your boat is so unreliable that you do not think one of the 2 will start up you may want to do some work on it.
3 bilge pumps, 2 water pumps, bait well pump, vaccuflush pump, low pressure fuel pump, 2 amps, vhf, gps, nav, lights, head unit, dc outlet, battery charger.

There are so many possible failure modes or shorts possible in that system that could ruin your battery faster than you can react. My boat is 15 years older than it’s current engines. I’ll just let em idle.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
Its only weird the first couple times you do it then its no big deal.....first time i shut the engines off was in 750' of water in the middle of lake Michigan....water was so clear you could see like 60-70' down....felt like we were floating in air...a few people jumped in for a swim but i couldn't do it! watched too many horror films with some creature coming up from the depths! LOL
The debut of 'Jaws' forever changed my comfort level of being in dark water and I'm not afraid to admit it coz there's millions more like me
The following 3 users liked this post by madbouyz:
SB (09-09-2021), Sydwayz (09-09-2021), Wally (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

The first time rolling off the side of a boat in the Caribbean for a night dive has the same feeling!
underpsi68 (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
3 bilge pumps, 2 water pumps, bait well pump, vaccuflush pump, low pressure fuel pump, 2 amps, vhf, gps, nav, lights, head unit, dc outlet, battery charger.

There are so many possible failure modes or shorts possible in that system that could ruin your battery faster than you can react. My boat is 15 years older than it’s current engines. I’ll just let em idle.
Well with that I would agree, I missed the fishing boat part.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Well with that I would agree, I missed the fishing boat part.
He said drift fish.

We go 70-80 miles straight out to get on snapper.
The following 2 users liked this post by hogie roll:
hoodoo (09-09-2021), Wildman_grafix (09-10-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by resurrected
The first time rolling off the side of a boat in the Caribbean for a night dive has the same feeling!
I know a little bit about what hangs around our reefs over here , even in the day time , there's no way in hell that I'm going diving at night . Nope , no way .
When I watch documentaries of people doing night dives it's like waiting for the shocking surprise in a horror movie .

The following 2 users liked this post by madbouyz:
Joe (09-09-2021), Wildman_grafix (09-10-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 01:04 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
Years ago I had a '74 formula F-18. I took it out to Lake Michigan for the weekend. My whole life I have boating on lake St Clair where the average water depth is 11ft. Once I was out on Lake Michigan, the depth finder was registering over 250' less than 1/2 mile offshore. The further out we went, the deeper it got. It was kinda earie to thing that if the boat sank, it was never coming back up, and my anchor couldn't even touch bottom.
We used the anchor to gauge the depth of how clear the water was......i felt like i was flying a weird kite in reverse! LOL if it wasn't for the sun reflecting on the waters surface you wouldn't know where the water surface started it was so clear out there!
Back some 20-25yrs ago when i first got certified for open water diving, our instructor told us in years past there were days when you couldn't see in front of your face in Lake Michigan...now with the zebra mussels filtering the water on a good day it was 50'+
Its good and its bad....its great to have such a clean lake but now the light travels down deeper and more seaweed grows....cant win em all

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-09-2021, 01:12 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Great question....... I remember in the beginning being so nervous to do so as well. No reason....... other than the whole, "What if", right... especially if you're not out with multiple boats.

- Sea Anchor
- Share with someone on land where / when you'll be back in communication

Old 09-09-2021, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Not sure where you are located, but down here you can run 70 miles out into the gulf and if there are fish there, there are other boats there. It has never occurred to me to not shut off the engines.
Smarty (09-10-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.