Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do you shut motor off offshore? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/373265-do-you-shut-motor-off-offshore.html)

Seahuman 09-08-2021 04:52 PM

Do you shut motor off offshore?

Yes or no? What about drift fishing when you make a 30min or less drift? Just curious what your thoughts are...

Smarty 09-08-2021 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Seahuman (Post 4804799)
Yes or no? What about drift fishing when you make a 30min or less drift? Just curious what your thoughts are...

I did, when I used to fish.

obnoxus 09-08-2021 07:04 PM

Love going out in the gulf and drifting, yes absolutely

scarabman 09-09-2021 05:56 AM

Regularly. Like to go a couple miles out in the Atlantic and shut the engines off and jump in for a swim and just kind of float around.

None of my friends are willing to go in with me though, they all think it is CRAZY, including the shutting the engines down part.

Wally 09-09-2021 08:04 AM

Its only weird the first couple times you do it then its no big deal.....first time i shut the engines off was in 750' of water in the middle of lake Michigan....water was so clear you could see like 60-70' down....felt like we were floating in air...a few people jumped in for a swim but i couldn't do it! :D watched too many horror films with some creature coming up from the depths! LOL

Wildman_grafix 09-09-2021 08:43 AM

We shut them off why would it be a big deal not to? If your boat is so unreliable that you do not think one of the 2 will start up you may want to do some work on it.

hoodoo 09-09-2021 08:46 AM

Back when 2 strokes were common we always shut down. Not so much now because the new engines are quiet and don’t stink. I don’t fish as hard as I once did, and we stay on the move a lot, but love running offshore in the gulf.

Interceptor 09-09-2021 09:23 AM

Get far enough offshore that you cannot see land and turn everything off and experience the quiet. Some are comfortable with it and others are uneasy.

phughes69 09-09-2021 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 4804869)
Its only weird the first couple times you do it then its no big deal.....first time i shut the engines off was in 750' of water in the middle of lake Michigan....water was so clear you could see like 60-70' down....felt like we were floating in air...a few people jumped in for a swim but i couldn't do it! :D watched too many horror films with some creature coming up from the depths! LOL

Years ago I had a '74 formula F-18. I took it out to Lake Michigan for the weekend. My whole life I have boating on lake St Clair where the average water depth is 11ft. Once I was out on Lake Michigan, the depth finder was registering over 250' less than 1/2 mile offshore. The further out we went, the deeper it got. It was kinda earie to thing that if the boat sank, it was never coming back up, and my anchor couldn't even touch bottom.

hogie roll 09-09-2021 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Seahuman (Post 4804799)

I don’t. I know it rolls up some hours, but I think the zukes are ok with the hours. Just not worth the risk to me.