Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Do you carry any "spares" on your boat? >

Do you carry any "spares" on your boat?

Notices
View Poll Results: Do you carry spare parts on board?
Yes, my boat is a floating marina - I am prepared for anything
13.04%
Yes, prop(s), belts, hoses, filters, spare wiring, fluids
45.65%
Yes, emergency items only - belts, filters, etc
30.43%
No, that is what TOWBOAT is for!
6.52%
No
6.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Do you carry any "spares" on your boat?

Old 09-28-2021, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Agreed! If you can not go for a simple boat ride without a full master set of Snap On Tools and a Bam Marine parts room in the bilge,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You need to seriously look into a different boat. Don't get me wrong, I keep extra oil, gear lube, etc on board as well as a simple basic tool kit to handle those little things that come up and need some attention. But do you really need a pit crew and a chase boat. People have made trans Atlantic crossings with less crap than some here take for an afternoon cruise.
When you’re 30 miles from shore and the only other thing on the water are freighters and your out of radio or cell phone reach you tend to pack a bit more. Storms come up quick on the great lakes and they can get really hairy. I like to stop halfway across Lake Huron and tell my passengers to look around, nothing but water.
The following users liked this post:
27FT502 (10-04-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 07:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

I don't take a ton because I'm never more than about 20 miles from my house, we never boat in inclement weather or when lots of other boosters aren't out there and my father, brother, neighbors could always come get me if needed, but I understand caring enough to be comfortable!!
Old 09-29-2021, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 249 Posts

Always carried a nice tool set, fluids, IAC, serp belt and a water pump housing and impeller. And also a spare XR drive in the back of the truck. Out of all of this, probably used the spare drive more than anything. I only used it a couple of times, but sure did loan it out a lot.
27FT502 (10-04-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Basic hand tools, spare oils, zip ties, duck tape, spare ignition coil...and spare Koozies. Someone always needs one and you never seem to get them back.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

spare msd box....
Old 09-29-2021, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
When you’re 30 miles from shore and the only other thing on the water are freighters and your out of radio or cell phone reach you tend to pack a bit more. Storms come up quick on the great lakes and they can get really hairy. I like to stop halfway across Lake Huron and tell my passengers to look around, nothing but water.

Much like i did do over Labor Day weekend in the middle of Lake Ontario. Very peaceful, and no need for the SnapOn or Bam crews. I just don't know how to explain this other than for some fourteen years these Merc Racing blue motors have never so much as farted in a bad way, I turn the key, I go for a boat ride, I come back, then I do it again, more times than I can remember. Sorry if your boating is less than trouble free.
Liquid Fix (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaman
Just curious how many people carry some sort of spare parts on board?
Fuel pump and sea pump you never know.......
Old 10-04-2021, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 70 Likes on 33 Posts

After doing a tip to tail refurb on my boat....I got more **** crammed into lockers and nooks than I car to admit. My new mantra is every time I get off the boat I carry in an armload of leftover tools, parts and supplies. But as far as basics, two tool kits (Harbor freight tool kit and one pelican case filled with specialty tools like windlass crank etc.) Various fuses, hoses clamps and spare parts under the bed. We rarely go more than I can limp home o one engine if need be.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Us single engine guys have to make sure we get home period. Hence the plethora of spare parts and tools.