Notices

Fuel in the bilge?

Old 11-26-2021, 04:36 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel in the bilge?

In order, what would you check as a cause of the leak before jumping right to a tank replacement? Boat is a 2004 Bluewater 2350, noticed fuel smell one trip. Next trip saw some fuel in the bilge, trip after saw some more. Primer bulb, hoses, hose connections, sending unit....Anything else to check? Thank you in advance.
Goldenfish is offline  
Old 11-26-2021, 05:27 PM
  #2  
SB
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On A Dirt Floor
Posts: 12,472
Received 2,151 Likes on 919 Posts
Default

Found this. Cross your fingers its this or a line vs the tank.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ding-unit.html

Be careful around gas fumes !
SB is offline  
Old 11-26-2021, 06:06 PM
  #3  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Bradenton, Fl.
Posts: 332
Received 182 Likes on 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SB View Post
Found this. Cross your fingers its this or a line vs the tank.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ding-unit.html

Be careful around gas fumes !
Good article
AmiableDave is offline  
Old 11-26-2021, 06:13 PM
  #4  
Registered
 
PigNaPoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Evansville IN
Posts: 551
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

setup have a fuel demand valve mounted to tank? my rig would literally build up enough pressure to crack those pieces of crap and once that happens you had fuel smell in bilge and no prime on the fuel system (pain in the A$$). I literally just drilled a /⁶ hole in the stainless gas cap and everything has been perfect after 2 sets of the valves...

before I did that it would literally sound like a jet engine for a few seconds from the pressure releasing when you popped the cap.

image of culprit attached....

PigNaPoke is offline  
The following users liked this post:
SB (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 08:20 PM
  #5  
SB
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On A Dirt Floor
Posts: 12,472
Received 2,151 Likes on 919 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PigNaPoke View Post
setup have a fuel demand valve mounted to tank? my rig would literally build up enough pressure to crack those pieces of crap and once that happens you had fuel smell in bilge and no prime on the fuel system (pain in the A$$). I literally just drilled a /⁶ hole in the stainless gas cap and everything has been perfect after 2 sets of the valves...

before I did that it would literally sound like a jet engine for a few seconds from the pressure releasing when you popped the cap.

image of culprit attached....
You dont have a gas tank vent ? If you do, there is an issue there.
sorry op.
SB is offline  
Old 11-26-2021, 10:35 PM
  #6  
Registered
 
PigNaPoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Evansville IN
Posts: 551
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SB View Post
You dont have a gas tank vent ? If you do, there is an issue there.
sorry op.
no it's some EPA issue with a ventless cap... stupid idea. the hole fixed it. but I played hell figuring it out with 0 help or care from the manufacturer. and I bought this boat new.
PigNaPoke is offline  
The following users liked this post:
SB (11-26-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 07:04 AM
  #7  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lake Ozark, MO USA
Posts: 720
Received 228 Likes on 128 Posts
Default

Isn't the vent hose supposed to go up above the vent then back down to the vent to create a air lock to avoid splash running down into the tank. The corrosion in the above link looks really bad. Ethanol/water in the gas?
Helmwurst is offline  
Old 11-30-2021, 03:01 PM
  #8  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 210
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Not completely sure what your setup is but I had a fuel line crack and spew fuel in my bilge. Could smell the fuel when driving and the motor started running really bad popping and such, starving for fuel obviously. I found out that my lines were 8 years old and it is suggested to replace the lines every 6-8 years because of ethanol in the gas. Hope this helps and you fine where it is coming from. Nothing scarier than fuel in the bilge when driving. Good luck bud.
A Catz Bark is offline  
Old 11-30-2021, 04:25 PM
  #9  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
jeff32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St-Hyacinthe, quebec, canada
Posts: 7,359
Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts
Default

friend of mine had a cracked stainless fuel line under the copper nut... sooooo slightly cracked if was a challenge to know for sure. idle was not leaking much but of course at 4k was probably real bad! had to temporarly fix with rubber hose, till the new one ordered came in...many many weeks later because of back orders... !!!!
jeff32 is offline  
Old 11-30-2021, 05:25 PM
  #10  
SB
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On A Dirt Floor
Posts: 12,472
Received 2,151 Likes on 919 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by A Catz Bark View Post
I found out that my lines were 8 years old and it is suggested to replace the lines every 6-8 years because of ethanol in the gas. Hope this helps and you fine where it is coming from. Nothing scarier than fuel in the bilge when driving. Good luck bud.
Never heard of this.
What motors and which lines ? And are they Rubber ? Steel ? Etc ?
SB is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.