Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   32 Spectre real world experience (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/374531-32-spectre-real-world-experience.html)

36Tango 01-17-2022 11:46 PM

32 Spectre real world experience

Does anybody have any real seat time in a 32 Spectre? New ones are quite a bit less than MTI's, Wright Performance, Skater, and Fountain. Other than resale being less down the road, is there any downside? Has the hull been updated over the years? How does it handle rough water (LOTO slop) compared to the others? Just doing some homework. Our 28 Skater is a hot rod and a ton of fun, but our location at LOTO (18MM) means that it sits on the lift allot of weekend days (when we have visitors). Might even look at some late model used 36's.

Lake rat Skater 01-18-2022 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 36Tango (Post 4818468)
Does anybody have any real seat time in a 32 Spectre? New ones are quite a bit less than MTI's, Wright Performance, Skater, and Fountain. Other than resale being less down the road, is there any downside? Has the hull been updated over the years? How does it handle rough water (LOTO slop) compared to the others? Just doing some homework. Our 28 Skater is a hot rod and a ton of fun, but our location at LOTO (18MM) means that it sits on the lift allot of weekend days (when we have visitors). Might even look at some late model used 36's.

I don't have any seat time but they were built not far from me and I was able to see a few under construction. They looked well built and were all composite with aluminum tanks. They are probably 500 to 700 lbs heavier than your 28 so that and the extra length would certainty help in the bigger water. The only potential downside is some might say the looks are a little dated when compared with the other manufactures offerings that you mentioned. Also being 8'6" wide their is no need to worry about width when hauling over the road.

Skater30 01-18-2022 05:49 PM

A buddy of mine had one with 300XSs. It honestly worked very well, quite similar to a 30 Skater in all aspects - planing, acceleration, turning, top speed, ride over the rough. They're great boats for the money, but the resale isn't there. I think people just aren't willing to spend bigger money on a boat that really looks dated now with the narrower beam and cockpit compared to the newer cats. I know of a used one w/ 300XSs coming for sale if you're interested. That being said, I've been on LOTO with my former 30 Skater/400R setup, and I can tell you that I'd recommend something bigger for that lake if you want to be comfortable on the weekends. My buddy that moved back there a year ago with his 30 Skater/300XS setup says the same thing - he'd love to have a 36. I'd suggest at least a 32B, ideally a 36 Skater for that lake on the busy weekends. Even those aren't going to run a hundred over the slop that lake will throw at you on the weekends - you'd need an inboard cat for that!

thisistank 01-18-2022 06:46 PM

Ran the Ilmor powered 32 when PBM was testing it a few years back. thing ran amazing. Ride was comfy, planed great, no ill manners, scooted right along nicely. Fit and finish looked good. Very impressive. A lot of bang for the buck.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...6d52a86c1b.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...7d4f73a765.jpg

Griff 01-18-2022 11:55 PM

I don't think you will a huge difference between it and your 28 Skater, but ya never know.
You may want to talk to Wayne R at LOTO. He has ridden in, driven and owned several different mid sized cats.

36Tango 01-19-2022 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 4818575)
I don't think you will a huge difference between it and your 28 Skater, but ya never know.
You may want to talk to Wayne R at LOTO. He has ridden in, driven and owned several different mid sized cats.

Yes, I had planned on talking to him. He has had more cats that some Humane Societies!
Maybe I will wait for a market correction and buy something a few years old. I cannot imagine this run continuing forever. Frankly, that is another big concern about buying new.

lake p.a.l. 01-19-2022 08:22 AM

Are you thinking I/O or outboards? Your 28 looks great. Saw you several times last summer but never had a chance to meet you. We live on Sunrise Beach side at 39mm & absolutely LOVE it.

KCHOTBOAT 01-19-2022 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 36Tango (Post 4818590)
Yes, I had planned on talking to him. He has had more cats that some Humane Societies!
Maybe I will wait for a market correction and buy something a few years old. I cannot imagine this run continuing forever. Frankly, that is another big concern about buying new.

I drove one 32 Spectre with outboards during the end of the season one year and the ride was great. Rode in three others one with outboards and two with 525sc's during the peak of summer at loto and the ride was okay. All of this was the main channel around the 10 mm. However remember I also drove a 24 ft HTM from the 10 mm to party cove. So anything was a improvement.

I would sell now for top dollar and buy a 36 when the market is back to normal if that is ever going to happen. Everyone is telling me to sell my f350 while I can get stupid money for it. Just can't bring myself to sell and down size.

speicher lane 01-20-2022 05:52 PM

Not mine and not a Spectre but going with the thought of a 36' beats a 32 in LOTO most days for ride comfort, there is a 36 Motion w/ Merc 600/ Bravo XR ITS showed up in the classifieds in Florida....2008 model with canopies

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...an-o81008.html

mlb75 01-20-2022 10:28 PM

We had a 32 Spectre and put 150-200 or so hours on it in all kinds of conditions. It rode really well and surprised a lot of other boaters with how well it could take rougher water (Chesapeake Bay and NC intracoastal bays), and could definitely take a lot more than a couple 28's that I ran with (at least much more than passengers would be comfortable riding in). The 32 Skater I have now seems to handle it even better but that's not what you asked. The only complaint if you call it that is I assume because of the layup it sounded like it banged a lot when it was in rough water, not a big deal just something to get used to. I think it was great boat and really miss the windshield.