Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How much (cash) is too much (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/374783-how-much-cash-too-much.html)

Twodocs 02-11-2022 07:32 PM

How much (cash) is too much

Would you spend 1/2 a years salary on 1 boat?

I’ve always wanted a fast boat. 2 young kids, we have the $200k tritoon (paid for), but the kids don’t like going fast on it and it’s not fast enough for me.

So, wait until they are older, or spend 500k now on outboard cat. (Want speed and outboards). Would be for myself and wife, probably used 5 times/summer…or all the time if by myself. We’d keep the toon. This would be a cash purchase also.

Only real hobby we have now. Still invest

DrFeelgood 02-11-2022 07:49 PM

So, 500K is half a years salary? You make a million bucks a year? Buy the damn boat you want.

Twodocs 02-11-2022 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood (Post 4821238)
So, 500K is half a years salary? You make a million bucks a year? Buy the damn boat you want.

We are otherwise very frugal and invest >50% gross.

I want some real world experience, not ‘maybe you can afford it if you hate ROIs’.

I’m not humble bragging, want some older perceptions and thoughts. Maybe you’ve been there.

1MOSES1 02-11-2022 09:32 PM

depending on your debt to income ratio…doesn’t seem unreasonable to spend $500k.

if house is paid for, invest, etc…enjoy the fruits of your labor and live life. Especially if it’s something your are passionate about.

Wally 02-11-2022 10:01 PM

you only live once and you cant take it with you so enjoy it while you can! If you wait, then things may change (even health wise) and you wont be able to enjoy it and regret it....so just go for it and be happy! :D

CharlieWhiskey85 02-11-2022 10:57 PM

My opinion honestly isn't worth a ton, but.. boating is really about priorities and what you want to enjoy. Your ROI may not be measured in cash, but instead memories and experiences. I think either way you'll obviously be fine financially as you seem very good with your monetary mindset and ability to manage the cash. The question really comes down will the additional boat get you the memories, enjoyment and experiences you want? If so I'd say it's worth it. None of us are promised tomorrow.

Again... This is coming from someone who doesn't make a fraction of what you most likely do so take it for what it's worth. Either way, wish you the best of luck and enjoyment with the family.

Griff 02-11-2022 11:12 PM

SMH:picard1:...............rich people problems :party-smiley-004::lolhit:

Not saying you and your wife don't work hard and deserve every dime you make, but you can easily afford it. It really depends on if you want to afford it.
Realize that insurance will cost at least $1000/month as well and you will probably need the Tres Martin performance boat courses to get cat insurance.

When I bought my current boat, it cost more than a 1/2 year salary for me. It was worth it to me.

Twodocs 02-12-2022 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 4821255)
SMH:picard1:...............rich people problems :party-smiley-004::lolhit:

Not saying you and your wife don't work hard and deserve every dime you make, but you can easily afford it. It really depends on if you want to afford it.
Realize that insurance will cost at least $1000/month as well and you will probably need the Tres Martin performance boat courses to get cat insurance.

When I bought my current boat, it cost more than a 1/2 year salary for me. It was worth it to me.

That was the plan (take mandatory’class’) we are all about learning. Watching people crash has got her a bit scared.

Nothing personel 353 02-12-2022 06:45 AM

What's a tritoon $200k must be real nice keep it and buy the cat also :ernaehrung004: As for doing the numbers with boats it won't work we just put $50k into a 1990 boat but our choice? If we went on here to ask I can only imagine the flack! Also to drive a cat fast is all you will get if speed gives you most pleasure buy it! Also forget the $$$ it will never make sense buy it!

bajaman 02-12-2022 06:58 AM

When I was only making a million per year, I was focusing on things other than unnecessary luxuries. Once I really started making some money, the boats and jets and other "wants-not-needs" came easily and were no longer something I had to 'budget'. Oh, sure...the houses in Monaco and Switzerland might be considered a little 'over the top' by some but my places in Maui and Miami just get so BORING after a while, you know? And Muffy, my wife, that silly girl...she can be SO demanding! I am sure you can relate. Keep your chin up, Bucky...you won't have to be slumming around in such unworthy craft soon, not with your Plan.