Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ever thought of renting out your boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/375623-ever-thought-renting-out-your-boat.html)

H20 Toie 05-04-2022 07:13 PM

Ever thought of renting out your boat?

My company rents video equipment to productions, studios, concerts, conventions, and we take clients out on the cigarette sometimes, but i was thinking about why not rent it out direct if someone wants to take their crew out. Doesn't really matter where in the USA they want to go, just ship it like we do video equipment, they pay for all expenses, not just giving them it to run but have a driver included

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...75b31007d.jpeg

jeff32 05-04-2022 07:27 PM

insurance coverage would or WILL be the challenge, unless owned by a company and insured for renting purposes... but i am sure the rate would be sky high !

and... all the other surprises that would come with it would kill me... people walking with shoes on seats, dropping beverages on / in upholstery...

ICDEDPPL 05-04-2022 07:35 PM

You would have to really not care about your boat .
Everyone would drive it like they stole it , you`be rebuilding engines and drive quite often I`d imagine.

jeff32 05-04-2022 07:41 PM

different story if you buy one that you don't love officially, and it's only purpose is to get ''used'' by renters, even with driver included...
than what happens happens, and move forward !

H20 Toie 05-04-2022 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4831072)
You would have to really not care about your boat .
Everyone would drive it like they stole it , you`be rebuilding engines and drive quite often I`d imagine.

Nope you don't let them drive it, just like our video equipment we don't just give them the stuff and say go ahead we have some one operating it,

this isn't going to be for every joe blow wanting to use a boat for vacation just a very limited few

H20 Toie 05-04-2022 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 4831070)
insurance coverage would or WILL be the challenge, unless owned by a company and insured for renting purposes... but i am sure the rate would be sky high !

and... all the other surprises that would come with it would kill me... people walking with shoes on seats, dropping beverages on / in upholstery...

Yep its not going to be cheap and for most people out of the price range, my led screens cost way more than the boat and lost and damage are expected

rak rua 05-04-2022 08:12 PM

Nobody takes care of a boat as well as the owner does.

I cringe when I see how people treat boats they don’t own. The inexperienced boaters are obviously the worst, not knowing how much time and money goes into keeping a boat in top shape. Even with a qualified driver/captain in charge, sh** still happens.

Ever have a party and see someone spill a beer, drop some food on a rug, slam a door, break a glass, drop rubbish on the floor, miss the ash tray, miss the target slightly in the toilet etc, etc? Yes, all these things can be cleaned up but if your boat is a prized possession, wouldn’t it bother you?

Confession first, I am a bit OCD with personal items. The only way I’d rent a boat out is if it were purchased with rental income in mind. My own personal boat is for me and my friends.

my 2 cents.

RR

IGetWet 05-04-2022 08:25 PM

No f’n way. Even with a driver, or an entire crew to dock for that matter. Wouldn’t let someone rent the wife out either. I’m sure it’s been thought of before, but quickly realized it was a terrible idea.

Sounds like they video equipment you rent out are “tools” towards a production. My boat isn’t a tool.

apex svt 05-04-2022 08:35 PM

Not a chance.

Rental charges would have to be astronomical for it to work.

Funny reading this thread from a guy who’s afraid of a bag of Cheetos :drink:

the deep 05-04-2022 08:37 PM

People suck and most don't give a rats azz about anything but themselves these days. Hell to the no no no. Beautiful boat brother, keep it that way.