Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Huh??? Nautical expressions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/37565-huh-nautical-expressions.html)

gdfatha 11-24-2002 10:31 AM

Huh??? Nautical expressions

They are stating on TV that the sick cruise ship was sanitised "STEM to STERN." What/where is the STEM on a ship/boat??
What other goofy nautical terms/words can you think of??

marc

Biggus 11-24-2002 10:33 AM

Land Ho!!!!:D

Audiofn 11-24-2002 11:22 AM

Biggus is that what we call the sluts on the shore :D

Jon

tanned fat looks better 11-24-2002 11:30 AM

What's wrong with landin a HO??

Magicfloat 11-24-2002 11:32 AM

Poop deck,is that where you let your dog go when you are not ashore?:)

MitchStellin 11-24-2002 11:50 AM

They called the stem the bow pulpit or the bow sprit. It sticks out past the bow on old sailing ships. It is a very common expression used for all sorts of things that you want to include as a whole. Like front to back, side to side etc.... I was a sailor until I could drive and then I could see that motors ruled. Parents are still sailors and are now traveling around the world.

laster 11-24-2002 11:54 AM

Stem is the forward most part of the vessel, opposite of stern. Its origin is from the days of wooden vessels and was originally the forward most vertical post into which the side timbers are joined. Happy now? :D

cuda 11-24-2002 11:57 AM

The stem is the bow.

My father was a career Navy man, and he used navy terms all the time around the house. At our house there was no floor, only a deck. The ceiling is the overhead. The walls are bulkheads. In our boat, we never got going, we got underway. There were no ropes on our boat, only lines, halyards, rodes, and stays. Of course at home no bathroom, just the head. One of his pet peeves was us taking "Hollywood" showers, where in the navy they learned to take five quart showers. If you got in my dad's way, he would accuse you of "standing in the hatchway like a marine!" (they stood security on the ships). If you talked too loud, he would accuse you of "sounding like a druken bosun's mate!".
He recently told me a story of when he first got in the navy. He was standing watch on a floating drydock (they consider them ships also) when someone called him and told him to "go to the foredeck and secure the jack". Dad said "what?". The ensign repeated himself and got the same reponse from dad. Then the ensign said "goddammit, go to the front of the boat and take down the flag!":)

thisistank 11-24-2002 12:02 PM

My grandfather used to always say to me, "I'll throw you through the aft bulk head!":D :D He was in the navy at one point

Ron P 11-24-2002 12:03 PM

Stem = Beak boat!!!!!!!