Notices

Manatee Madness Rally

Old 11-26-2002, 10:21 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Guys,
I believe all the meeting are set for 6-9 pm to enable the general public to attend. We have to show up in BIG #'s to STOP this madness. Hell, Dec. 4 the day of the meeting here in Melbourne is my WEDDING anniversary and I talked to HQ about it and she said that there was no CHOICE, we are going to the meeting!!
MD

PS Here is the website with all the schedule info.

http://northflorida.fws.gov/Manatee/...g-schedule.htm

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 11-26-2002 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:54 AM
Stillcrazy

Hey Dean, What a guy!......but more so WHAT A GAL ! I'm sure that you will make it up afterwards. We need the numbers and the money to fight this voodoo science. Slow zones aren't working so they add more. then they reason, If we eliminate docks and lifts we eliminate boats and boats are responsible for 20% of the deaths. What about the 80% ?

Old 11-27-2002, 09:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Stillcrazy,
BINGO!! One would think that if you could reduce the 80% of "Other" mortalities down to, say 40%, a 50% reduction, you would SAVE ALOT MORE Manatees, then trying to reduce the 20% to 0%, WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN as long as there are commercial vessels running around! And you are correct in that Manatee Zones aren't working, yet they want to install more zones! The only thing that is endangered is the $MC itself!!
MD
And yes I'm a lucky man to be married to such a GREAT Woman!
Old 11-27-2002, 09:54 AM
Stillcrazy

Sorry for getting on my soap box but was upset by the newspaper this morn. where it said" Manatee fossils were found in Florida which date to 45,000,000 years ago which makes humans the intruders ! " 45 million?

Old 11-27-2002, 10:12 AM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an accepted truth that the manatee was in North America long before man. But I have to ask, wasn't the manatee an intruder too? Wasn't some other species already there say 45,000,001 years ago?
Old 12-02-2002, 07:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here's what the $MC is doing about the meetings.
MD
http://www.savethemanatee.org/tammpa.htm
Old 12-02-2002, 07:21 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

And this is what our Local Congressman, Dave Weldon, is doing!

Representative Weldon calls for investigation of manatee protection
Representative Dave Weldon recently asked the General Accounting Office (GAO) to review actions taken by the United States Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) in carrying out their duty to protect the manatee. The GAO is the investigative arm of Congress, with the responsibility to provide impartial analysis of federal programs to help Congress make effective oversight, policy, and funding decisions.

In his letter, Representative Weldon asks the GAO to find:

- How has the government assessed the data it uses to push for more manatee protection?

- Does the government allow public input on the validity of the data, or to provide other data that may challenge the Service's assumptions?

- Did FWS modify any of their proposals in response to objections by the public? Who decided, and how did they decide, what weight to give to the public's objections?

- What proof does FWS have that manatees are killed mostly by recreational boats?

- What proof does FWS have that fast speeds are more dangerous to manatees than slow speeds?

- Has any neutral party evaluated the necropsy reports used to attribute manatee deaths to boats?

- Have the power plants changed the migratory patterns of manatees?

- Is the FWS simply a pawn of the environmental groups?

- Is the FWS duplicating state regulations?

If these questions seem familiar, it's because they come from CFW members, who have been asking Representative Weldon to investigate the abuses by FWS for some time. Citizens are encouraged to contact Representative Weldon's office to express concern about this issue. Stay tuned for the GAO's response to Representative Weldon.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:28 AM
Stillcrazy

Default Manate Madness Rally

Thanks for the info.Our Rally last week estimated at 2000 and expecting twice that for tonight in Ft. Myers.

Old 12-03-2002, 05:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here's an article in the Orlando Slantnel this morning.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...me%2Dheadlines

Guys,
How did the meeting in Ft. Myers go?

MD
Old 12-03-2002, 08:42 AM
Stillcrazy

Default Manatee Madness Rally

Article in "Slanted View" disturbing when it says the BEST THING EVER for Manatees.Then they follow up with an uninformed view of what they think is meant by DOCKS. By not having docks then we won't have boats and since that is their objective(elimination of boats) the next step is non renewal of boat license or registration restrictions then growth control. SW Florida is just the start.
Meeting went very well. Had between 2500 and 3000 depending on who counted. We filled the Harborside Hall. 20% of speakers had good thoughtful input,79% emotional against. and 1% Manatee lovers. Had organized signs and banners protesting all over. Good news coverage.

Quick Reply: Manatee Madness Rally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.