Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
"Stand up" Guy  (Wisconsin Hit & Run Boat Accident) >

"Stand up" Guy (Wisconsin Hit & Run Boat Accident)

Notices

"Stand up" Guy (Wisconsin Hit & Run Boat Accident)

Old 07-14-2022, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Think you missed my point .
You don`t need a 45' boat to handle 2' waves.
Agreed, no argument from me on that. This hobby isn't about "need", though.
The following 5 users liked this post by DrFeelgood:
1983ScarabIII (07-14-2022), 30outlaw (07-18-2022), IGetWet (07-14-2022), phragle (07-18-2022), speicher lane (07-15-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

That paddleboat is actually quite small compared to something like the Spirit of Peoria that used to run on the Illinois river. Had they hit more perpendicular it would have been really, really bad.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
That paddleboat is actually quite small compared to something like the Spirit of Peoria that used to run on the Illinois river. Had they hit more perpendicular it would have been really, really bad.
Would have been a torpedo.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Not sure why you need a 45', million dollar boat on that small, dirty, shallow winnebago lake, and the Fox river is even worse, to show off would be the only reason I see.
He did downsize from a 52'..Lol

https://www.speedonthewater.com/phot...four-horsemen/
Old 07-15-2022, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
At night, on the water, your eyes can play tricks on you.
So can your brain.

time!
This is why all of the cool kids need to turn off all of the fricken led lights that they hang all over their boat (and docking lights fr pontoon drivers). Leave the fancy lights on at the dock, but turn them off when running. That said, this had nothing to do with this accident.

I have no compassion for drunk drivers/boaters. Hopefully the punishment will be enough to deter others from doing the same in the future.
The following 3 users liked this post by 36Tango:
DrFeelgood (07-15-2022), rak rua (07-15-2022), Twin O/B Sonic (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 136 Likes on 63 Posts

Who cares bottom line Mr big bucks should have hired a captain if he planned on getting lit up! He made a mistake lucky he didn't kill anybody including him self
Old 07-15-2022, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Running at speed at night is a real risk, even on familiar waters.
The following users liked this post:
DrFeelgood (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatsky
Running at speed at night is a real risk, even on familiar waters.
Yup. I rarely boat at night, but if I do, I'm not on plane. Allows for much more reaction time.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:54 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

My real issue at night are the dumb fuks who put green and red lights st the end of their docks. Put’m on your frt door, ie the one facing away from the water. Thanks.

How can you react when not on plane ? Other than dropping jaw ?
Old 07-15-2022, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts

An Appalling Example of California Justice . . .It would appear, based on the following from today's 'Lectronic Latitude, that if you're at the helm, drifting in light airs in a small sailboat and are run down by a powerboater, killing a member of the sailboat's crew, you'd better find the resources necessary to obtain a good attorney. What an embarrassment for the Golden State.

Is The Wrong Man Being Charged In Last Year's Boating Death Of Lynn Thornton?

June 8 - Lake County, CA
According to reports we received last year, on the evening of April 29, 2006, Lynn Thornton of Willows died of injuries after Chief Deputy Russ Perdock of the Lake County Sheriff's Department slammed the Baja 24 powerboat he was operating into Beats Working II, the O'Day 27 sailboat Thornton was a passenger on. The sailboat was owned by her fiancé, Mark Weber, although Bismarck Dinius of Sacramento County was at the helm.
Apparently there were several factors that might have contributed to the tragedy, which took place around 9:30 p.m., and after Beats Working II had finished second in the Konocti Half Cup sailboat race. First of all, it appears the sailboat was not showing any running lights. Also, after the accident, owner Weber's blood alcohol level was reported to be .18, more than twice the legal limit. But neither of those things, separately or together, were an immediate cause of Thornton's death.
As is often the case on the water, speed kills. At the time of the impact, Beats Working II was apparently drifting under sail in zephyrs, while the Perdock-operated Baja 24 was allegedly traveling as fast as 40 mph (eye witness accounts vary). Many believe that the after-sunset speed limit on Clear Lake is just 5 mph, but District Attorney Jon E. Hopkins says there is no such speed limit and that there is no way to prove beyond a reasonable doubt exactly how fast Perdock was going or that his speed was the cause of the collision. We very seriously doubt that Thornton would have died had the powerboat hit the sailboat at just 5 mph, and that strongly suggests - at least to us - that Deputy Perdock's seemingly reckless operation of the motorboat was the primary cause of Thornton's death.
We don't claim to know all the facts in this case, and haven't seen any of the evidence, but what strikes us as bizarre is that today, helmsman Bismarck Dinius - but not owners Perdock or Weber - will be arraigned. He's being charged with felony Vehicular Manslaughter Involving a Vessel and misdemeanor Boating Under the Influence (his BAC was .12). According to a release by D. A. Hopkins, "Dinius was the operator of the sailboat, seated at the rudder [sic], when the powerboat collided with it." We were stunned that the D.A. apparently has no plans to charge Perdock or Weber! D.A. Hopkins explained that "California Harbors and Navigation Code provides that the 'operator' of a vessel is the person steering it. Even if the owner/skipper was telling the person at the helm what to do, none of that is taken into consideration for the definition of boating under the influence."
D.A. Hopkins sought an independent opinion in the matter - perhaps in order to avoid the appearance of impropriety - by having the California Attorney General's Office review the case to determine which charges should be filed against whom, and to determine if he should be recused from the case based upon a close working relationship with the Lake County Chief Deputy Sheriff or the Sheriff's Office in general. The California Attorney General's office didn't find any reason for the D.A. to step down and/or to turn the case over to the Attorney General for prosecution. We do. One of the investigators in the case was Tom Clements, who had recently retired as a Lieutenant with the Clear Lake Police Department! Why do we get the vibe that Lake County law enforcement is like that of the Old South in the '60s?
Like we said, we don't know all the facts but, on the surface, it sure seems to us that Deputy Perdock is the party primarily responsible for the death. A distant second in the line of responsibility would seem to be Weber, who, under maritime law (which, according to D.A. Hopkins, is considered civil law), is ultimately responsible for the safe operation of his vessel - including showing running lights after sunset. We hope that Dinius has a good lawyer, because it seems to us he's getting hung out to dry. As for the estate of Lynn Thornton, we hope it has the resources necessary to hire the best damn big city lawyer possible so they can make sure justice is seen in her death.
If you were a witness to the collision, or if you have an opinion on the case, we'd love to hear from you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.