Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
"Stand up" Guy  (Wisconsin Hit & Run Boat Accident) >

"Stand up" Guy (Wisconsin Hit & Run Boat Accident)

Notices

"Stand up" Guy (Wisconsin Hit & Run Boat Accident)

Old 07-15-2022, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Yeah that doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but really no different than what they would do in an auto accident if a driver was drinking and a passenger died even if it wasn't the driver's fault.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

I am not sure what some accident 12 years ago on a lake in California has to do with this thread?

Originally Posted by tommymonza
An Appalling Example of California Justice . . .It would appear, based on the following from today's 'Lectronic Latitude, that if you're at the helm, drifting in light airs in a small sailboat and are run down by a powerboater, killing a member of the sailboat's crew, you'd better find the resources necessary to obtain a good attorney. What an embarrassment for the Golden State.

Is The Wrong Man Being Charged In Last Year's Boating Death Of Lynn Thornton?

June 8 - Lake County, CA
According to reports we received last year, on the evening of April 29, 2006, Lynn Thornton of Willows died of injuries after Chief Deputy Russ Perdock of the Lake County Sheriff's Department slammed the Baja 24 powerboat he was operating into Beats Working II, the O'Day 27 sailboat Thornton was a passenger on. The sailboat was owned by her fiancé, Mark Weber, although Bismarck Dinius of Sacramento County was at the helm.
Apparently there were several factors that might have contributed to the tragedy, which took place around 9:30 p.m., and after Beats Working II had finished second in the Konocti Half Cup sailboat race. First of all, it appears the sailboat was not showing any running lights. Also, after the accident, owner Weber's blood alcohol level was reported to be .18, more than twice the legal limit. But neither of those things, separately or together, were an immediate cause of Thornton's death.
As is often the case on the water, speed kills. At the time of the impact, Beats Working II was apparently drifting under sail in zephyrs, while the Perdock-operated Baja 24 was allegedly traveling as fast as 40 mph (eye witness accounts vary). Many believe that the after-sunset speed limit on Clear Lake is just 5 mph, but District Attorney Jon E. Hopkins says there is no such speed limit and that there is no way to prove beyond a reasonable doubt exactly how fast Perdock was going or that his speed was the cause of the collision. We very seriously doubt that Thornton would have died had the powerboat hit the sailboat at just 5 mph, and that strongly suggests - at least to us - that Deputy Perdock's seemingly reckless operation of the motorboat was the primary cause of Thornton's death.
We don't claim to know all the facts in this case, and haven't seen any of the evidence, but what strikes us as bizarre is that today, helmsman Bismarck Dinius - but not owners Perdock or Weber - will be arraigned. He's being charged with felony Vehicular Manslaughter Involving a Vessel and misdemeanor Boating Under the Influence (his BAC was .12). According to a release by D. A. Hopkins, "Dinius was the operator of the sailboat, seated at the rudder [sic], when the powerboat collided with it." We were stunned that the D.A. apparently has no plans to charge Perdock or Weber! D.A. Hopkins explained that "California Harbors and Navigation Code provides that the 'operator' of a vessel is the person steering it. Even if the owner/skipper was telling the person at the helm what to do, none of that is taken into consideration for the definition of boating under the influence."
D.A. Hopkins sought an independent opinion in the matter - perhaps in order to avoid the appearance of impropriety - by having the California Attorney General's Office review the case to determine which charges should be filed against whom, and to determine if he should be recused from the case based upon a close working relationship with the Lake County Chief Deputy Sheriff or the Sheriff's Office in general. The California Attorney General's office didn't find any reason for the D.A. to step down and/or to turn the case over to the Attorney General for prosecution. We do. One of the investigators in the case was Tom Clements, who had recently retired as a Lieutenant with the Clear Lake Police Department! Why do we get the vibe that Lake County law enforcement is like that of the Old South in the '60s?
Like we said, we don't know all the facts but, on the surface, it sure seems to us that Deputy Perdock is the party primarily responsible for the death. A distant second in the line of responsibility would seem to be Weber, who, under maritime law (which, according to D.A. Hopkins, is considered civil law), is ultimately responsible for the safe operation of his vessel - including showing running lights after sunset. We hope that Dinius has a good lawyer, because it seems to us he's getting hung out to dry. As for the estate of Lynn Thornton, we hope it has the resources necessary to hire the best damn big city lawyer possible so they can make sure justice is seen in her death.
If you were a witness to the collision, or if you have an opinion on the case, we'd love to hear from you.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Do I think he would have less charges if he stayed at the scene? Yeah. BUI yep, but if he didn't blow/give blood it could maybe get knocked down to reckless.

Was he weighing the charges when he was deciding to stay or go? No, he was thinking he could get away with no charges!

Cops stuck the charges to him for leaving. Rich guy, business owner pulling a weasel move = throw the book at him.

Sh1tty for all those involved, case will certainly get expensive for him when all the personal injury lawyers get their cases filed.
The following users liked this post:
rak rua (07-15-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 01:51 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I am not sure what some accident 12 years ago on a lake in California has to do with this thread?
Just presenting the liability that is put upon the person that was behind the helm, if even temporally. Who knows the scenario and who was behind the helm.

I'll try to find the whole story that was on a sailing forum i was on but the poor guy that was temporarily at the helm of the drifting sailboat when it got mowed down by the Baja spent years defending himself from a manslaughter charge .

The details here.
nfahttps://www.boatus.com/expert-advice...ase-of-justice

Last edited by tommymonza; 07-17-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Wildman_grafix (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 231 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Think you missed my point .
You don`t need a 45' boat to handle 2' waves.
Winnebago can get whipped up to much more then two footers. Its a 132 acres (LOTO is 54,000 to give a comparison). Not defending him but he runs on Lake Michigan and has other homes with other boats as well. Having a Nor-Tech is not "showing off" for a guy at his level.

Joe
Old 07-17-2022, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JPEROG
Winnebago can get whipped up to much more then two footers. Its a 132 acres (LOTO is 54,000 to give a comparison). Not defending him but he runs on Lake Michigan and has other homes with other boats as well. Having a Nor-Tech is not "showing off" for a guy at his level.

Joe
means diddly sh!t. You can have all the money in the world, but doing it and being morally bankrupt? Nobody gives a flying fu#k how much of a baller this guy is. Hope he rots in hell.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 231 Likes on 90 Posts

I try to look at things a little more subjectively then "Hope he rots in hell". Hes obviously not an idiot to have all of the businesses that he does, glad nobody was seriously injured or killed, he will definitely pay for his mistake and be held accountable for his lack in judgement and/or moral character.

Joe
The following 3 users liked this post by JPEROG:
IGetWet (07-18-2022), Knot 4 Me (07-17-2022), Twin O/B Sonic (07-17-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 05:11 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I know that I can not see nearly as well at night. I got where I could not see when driving a car. It was extremely difficult to see on the water, even at idle speed.

Even when I was younger and could see, I rarely got my boat any faster than a fast idle at night.

We all make mistakes and the boat owner certainly made a big mistake. I know that he would not have hit the paddle wheel boat if he was was running wake zone speeds. Night time boating is much harder to do safely and everyone needs to be careful. Thankfully, no one was killed or left with a lifetime injury.

Last edited by ar300johnson; 07-18-2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Joe

Lake Winnebago has way more open space to run on then LOTO. I run both. LOTO is actually more like a river not very wide where Winnebago is miles wide and can get fairly rough. You can spread out on Winnebago and LOTO you can not. In mid 2000's poker runs in Winnebago they would grand prix start 100 boats at one time. Almost all boats where over 35'.
Menage_Aqua (07-19-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Joe
You meant 132,000 acres?
I thought 132, wtf that's dinky.
Menage_Aqua (07-19-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.