Notices

Tow vehicle help

Old 11-27-2002, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow vehicle help

O.k. I an looking for a little help with my tow vehicle it is a 93' Chevy 2500 4x4. I seem to have lost my 4 wheel drive and I am not sure were to find it. But seriously the front wheels are not driving. When the 4 wheel drive is engaged at the transfer case what locks the front in? or is it always spinning?
Anybody have any awnsers?

Russ
Old 11-27-2002, 10:59 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

the chevys had a problem with the 4wd actuator engauging(sp) in colder weather...or just craping out all together! They redesigned the solenoid and made it into a plastic houseing. If you look on the front diff assmbly from the front of the truck, there should be a can type looking thing to the left side mounted on top of the axle tube with two wires coming out of it. That most likely is the problem. You can go tothe local dealer and get the replacement piece. The one i got didnt come with instructions and had to get it faxed over from the parts dept. So make sure you heck this before you leave!! The new one come with a third wire that needs to be spliced into the wiring harness over by the transfercase. Its an easy job you can do in about 30min or less.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I had a problem with this too on my S-10 Blazer, 1989. The actuator switch for the on the floor manual shift transfer case was actually operated by vacuum. Supposedly it is an easy fix/swapout, IF you know where to look on top of the tranny/transfer case assembly. I don't know if that helps. The Chevy dealer was able to fix it for me in an afternoon, for about $150 bucks I think.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:27 AM
Registered

if the actuator isn't bad, you may want to check first if the transfer case is engaging if it is than you should check your hubs I've blown numerous hubs manual lock , and power. normally they'll make noise if bad but not allways.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:33 AM
Registered

Thanks

Wally
Does this solinoid recieve 12 volts consant when the 4x4 is engaged or is it a one time shot to shift somthing?

I do not think it is the cold because the last time i pulled the boat out I don't believe the 4x4 was locked in. It's just now after the first snow that I know for sure it does not work.

Thanks
Russ
Old 11-27-2002, 12:07 PM
Registered

Just Once

I think that these hubs are always locked and the shafts turn all the time. ??.

Russ