Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How much toque Can arneson number six drives handle. >

How much toque Can arneson number six drives handle.

Notices

How much toque Can arneson number six drives handle.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad to the bone
do you have a link to your resort
https://instagram.com/hotelislamucur...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Old 11-10-2022, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland
I want to build a diesel powered boat to haul people to my island hotel. It’s an hour and 45 min trip each way. 365 days a year. The boat we have now we bought used and it holds 40 passengers. And when we bought it had a pair of 200hp Yamaha outboards. The boat ran 29 mph with the engines turning 5400 rpm. Looking at a pair of yanmar 250hp 4cyl turbo diesels and arneson six drives. Waiting for the yanmar dealer to tell me what ratio transmission to spec with the engines and what diameter and pitch prop for the asd #6s. Called twin disc which I guess now owns arneson. The application dept is who I have to speak to and they cant be called only emailed. It’s been a day and a half since I asked them the tq handling capacity of the sixes. So no idea when I will receive a reply From then. So reaching out to oso bros.
. The 250 yanmars make 342ft lbs of torque. The boat is 42ft and holds 40 passengers and baggage in the bow compartment should I shoot for the same prop speed that the Yamaha 200s ran. They ran a small 15 pitch prop. That boat currently has a pair of Yamaha 300s and runs a 19pitch prop.
i think running outboards is retarded. They are shot at 2200-2400 rpms and not worth much to sell the puke lower units often as they are so heavily loaded. Plus the fuel saving is huge. The yanmar as supposed to consume 4.9 gph per engine at cruise which I assume is 3200 rpm which is 85% of max rpm of 3800. So apprx 40 gallons round trip. Current boat burns 130 per round trip when full up. Thank in advance for any info, RM

guess it’s a moot point. Arneson no longer makes sixes.

Anyone know of a pair of used asd8s for sale?

i am starting to like the simplicity drives tho based on price and the owner is super knowledgeable
Old 11-10-2022, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bad to the bone
do you have a link to your resort
sorry meant to reply but been super busy and it slipped my mind.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
must be a hopping place, no posts on insta and the facebook page is gone.
https://www.facebook.com/hotelislamucura

dont know what pages you found but we are booked up most of the time we have a person that manages all our social media stuff
Old 11-10-2022, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Stay with the Yamaha's, trust me you will regret every moment you thought of anything else.

If your only getting a couple thousand hours out of them you got them over propped or getting them hot. My dads boat had 5000 hours on his Yamaha 175when sold it and it still had great compression in every cylinder.

I fought with the little 6 cylinder 245 horse Volvo s back in the day with my commercial parasail boat, than Yanmar came out with the 6cylinder 4 liter 300horse that was going to be the return of the Messiah .

Nope at 1200 hours it was only producing 75%power because of wear and Yanmar said it was overpropped turning 3800rpm when their recommendation was 3600-4000 rpms. So after a year I bought another new yannar that was now rated at 315horse at 3800-4200rpm, that was good for 2100 hours.

Those little 4cylinders will never survive the varying torque loads of a surface drive , and that is if you ever get them propped correctly. You ever wonder why you see so many big high speed yachts ditching their Arnesons? Its because the sensitivity of weight and trim causes the load on the props to wildly vary causing the big diesel's to be lugged without the operator even being aware of the condition.

Even if you used direct shaft drives with those little yanmars you might get 2500 hours but you will lose so much speed and efficiency compared to the Yamahas.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:57 PM
Registered

40 passengers with gear is likely around 8000 pounds minimum these days, that's a lot weight in a little 40 footer, you using a cat,or a mono?
Old 11-10-2022, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Tommy's correct regarding Yanmar 6cyls( lightweight Toyota block, high revving). Volvo turbo/supercharged were a joke for commercial use. Cummins 6bt seem to last longer, and are easy to rebuild.
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 09:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Stay with the Yamaha's, trust me you will regret every moment you thought of anything else.

If your only getting a couple thousand hours out of them you got them over propped or getting them hot. My dads boat had 5000 hours on his Yamaha 175when sold it and it still had great compression in every cylinder.

I fought with the little 6 cylinder 245 horse Volvo s back in the day with my commercial parasail boat, than Yanmar came out with the 6cylinder 4 liter 300horse that was going to be the return of the Messiah .

Nope at 1200 hours it was only producing 75%power because of wear and Yanmar said it was overpropped turning 3800rpm when their recommendation was 3600-4000 rpms. So after a year I bought another new yannar that was now rated at 315horse at 3800-4200rpm, that was good for 2100 hours.

Those little 4cylinders will never survive the varying torque loads of a surface drive , and that is if you ever get them propped correctly. You ever wonder why you see so many big high speed yachts ditching their Arnesons? Its because the sensitivity of weight and trim causes the load on the props to wildly vary causing the big diesel's to be lugged without the operator even being aware of the condition.

Even if you used direct shaft drives with those little yanmars you might get 2500 hours but you will lose so much speed and efficiency compared to the Yamahas.
noboody down here is getting much over 2k hours on the 300 Yamahas. That’s what it takes. Not over propped the boat runs 4400 rpms 30mph. One dude has trip 200s he has 3k hours on them. Can run trips on my boat. Not wide enough. Looming at lugger and cummins diesels over the yanmars. The dude that owns simplicity drive has customers with 6-7k hours on the new yanmar 4LV 250s with no issues. But it’s a lot more weight and a little bigger size wise with the cummins waiting to get the lugger specs
Spoiler

Old 11-10-2022, 10:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland
noboody down here is getting much over 2k hours on the 300 Yamahas. That’s what it takes. Not over propped the boat runs 4400 rpms 30mph. One dude has trip 200s he has 3k hours on them. Can run trips on my boat. Not wide enough. Looming at lugger and cummins diesels over the yanmars. The dude that owns simplicity drive has customers with 6-7k hours on the new yanmar 4LV 250s with no issues. But it’s a lot more weight and a little bigger size wise with the cummins waiting to get the lugger specs
Spoiler

Link me to the articles where people are getting those kind of hours, maybe in a lightly built fishing boat where half the hours are trolling .

That little Cummins is the chit, my brother has one in his trawler, but even it has its limitations .Unless your going for minimal draft there is no gain going with a arneson though the Pulse will give you a better shaft angle compared to a direct drive inboard but props are pricey.
You going cat like a Corithian or mono , open water commutes? Water conditions ?
Old 11-11-2022, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 243 Posts

you might want to look at the onx diesel outboards they are geared to commerical use and now are up to 300hp looks to be a really nice setup
The following users liked this post:
OPS VZLA (11-11-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.