Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Insurance getting outta hand. >

Insurance getting outta hand.

Notices

Insurance getting outta hand.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 257 Posts

No claim. This was apparently a 3rd party deal. She noted a couple nit picky things inside also. No big deal but my wife blows it out of proportion.
My wife would be happy to go without homeowners entirely. I don’t have the balls to go without coverage but there are two homes nearby that the owners have told me they’re never carried it??
Old 01-24-2023, 07:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
That isn't completely true. As it sits right now our policy still allows full RCV for cosmetic damage. I am paying over $100k almost daily on metal roof claims because of scuffs in a roof that has zero leaks.

So it goes both ways.

Our new policy will allow for a cosmetic allowance though to help. People shouldn't be getting new roofs that are structurally great because of a dent. Do you get a new car for a door ding?

As far as percentage that is a FL guideline, not your insurance company. For a roof 1-3 years old and up to current code. 50% needs to be damaged or will need replacing for repair to get a full replacement..

For roof 4 years or older it goes down to 25% total to get to full replacement.
what i see is people shop low premiums or "required coverage" not the actual policy itself. then they wind up in a mess when something does happen.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
what i see is people shop low premiums or "required coverage" not the actual policy itself. then they wind up in a mess when something does happen.
A friends house burned down and was a total loss, they were under insured. It sucked for them but I tell him all the time thanks now we review every year, my big concern is the large claim and that I can rebuild if needed. Because of that I try and stay on top of those costs, as for contents of the home I have moved those down. I mean if I really look everything but electronics can be replaced pretty easy and the high dollar electronics (Light my audio equipment) would need a separate writer anyway.

Few years back I stopped buying expensive furniture, my wife gets bored and replaces every few years anyway, why bother!

Since this has went to home insurance I have a question for Nate, a buddy in our hood told me the other day they no longer are giving him wind mitigation for his shutters. Told him how do they know he will close them when a storm hits? It is his primary home and these are the nice ones that you just close.

The following users liked this post:
offshoredrillin (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
This happens a lot, sometimes too not known to the insured as well. People need to really ask questions if they don't understand what they are buying but it seems like pride gets in the way of that and I get to be the person to break the **** news to them.

Q big spot this also happens is personal property. People think because they have $200k in coverage that their wife's $20k ring, their rolex, or their gun collection is covered ans that isn't the case. Items like that need a specific endorsement for full replacement cost but people have no clue (or play dumb) and are pissed when I issue the $1k max to them
The following 2 users liked this post by Nate5.0:
offshoredrillin (01-24-2023), Wildman_grafix (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix

Since this has went to home insurance I have a question for Nate, a buddy in our hood told me the other day they no longer are giving him wind mitigation for his shutters. Told him how do they know he will close them when a storm hits? It is his primary home and these are the nice ones that you just close.
A good chance is how old are the shutters? If older they may no longer have standards to support the credit.

How do we know if they are shut? 9/10 times they are damaged when shut during the storm and we buy new ones, almost ever claim I have for Ian on a property with a storm shutter the shutter did it's job and protected the house but got damage on it as well so we end up buying the new shutters for the home.

If they are down during a storm there will be dirt, debris, scuff, and scratches at the very minimum.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
A good chance is how old are the shutters? If older they may no longer have standards to support the credit.

How do we know if they are shut? 9/10 times they are damaged when shut during the storm and we buy new ones, almost ever claim I have for Ian on a property with a storm shutter the shutter did it's job and protected the house but got damage on it as well so we end up buying the new shutters for the home.

If they are down during a storm there will be dirt, debris, scuff, and scratches at the very minimum.
They are only a few years old, he put them on to get the discount. Not sure it seemed pretty strange to me, his house is similar to mine but he pays 10K a year now. Could be other reasons, who knows.

As for them getting damage, yes but better then breaching the house. Same goes for hurricane windows, they will need replaced in a direct hit but are there to protect the house.