Notices

Step Bottom History

Old 12-16-2002, 04:47 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Cashbrain:

That "step" on the back of your Cigarette actually did the same job as extension boxes do today....................

Many hull manufacturers experimented with that idea back in the day...and I cant say for sure who tried inserting notches in hull molds first........but I would almost bet you that it was an OPC builder (outboard performance craft)...... The concept known as a "back porch" had been around in outboard race hulls for years before the concept first appeared offshore.

In fact "surfacing" propellers in outboards also predated offshore use literally by decades. When we first set up the Shadow Cats many "experts" thought our x-dimensions were a joke(prop shafts above the bottom of the sponsons)....."you'll never plane off------ you can't throttle in rough seas".......... 12 months later half the stern drives in offshore had been remounted and Mercruiser was working on a shortened drive.

If only eradicating the step "virus" was as simple...........

T2x
Old 12-16-2002, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tom

ther are guys posting as manufacturers elsewhere but like always dont believe everything you read
Old 12-16-2002, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SteveDavid et al,

I have found that APBA rules create problems with wearing the HANS device. It is difficult (and uncomfortable) to wear an "approved" life vest (ex. Switlik)and the HANS. The "appoved" vests weren't designed to encircle a neck and the collar of the HANS. If you wear the HANS under the vest, the vest rides high and is difficult if not impossible to properly zip and requires more shoulder strap to make it over everything. If you wear the vest under the HANS (not recommended) it sits higher than the design contemplated and the shoulder belt length is still long. Ideally, you would use a suspender type of vest that has significantly less mass than the currently "approved" vest over it. Obviously, the device wasn't initially intended for boat racing and some rules may need to be adjusted.

If I had to make a choice of wearing the HANS with an "approved" vest or not wearing one, I'd always opt for it. They afford good periferal vision, are light and function simply.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just putting this up for monday morning.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Step Bottom History

Hi ! I am working on the buttom of my 89 Motion 25 and are having problems with a decition on blueprinting the buttom.
The surface before the end of each step are holow(shrinked) , there are about 5mm "air" gap on a straight ruler in the middle of the aprox. 3 foot step. I wonder if its best to grind of the edge (end) of each step to level the surface or is it best to fill it with epoxy filler to keep the hight of the step.
If someone knows the difference on the steps of a Motion 25 or Skater 24 and a 28 It would be interesting.

Ps: a friend of mine became national (Norway),world champ last season in a Bat boat in 3b(1.3l class 2004.) The year before he strugled to keep up with a regular non stepped v, have it on video if someone wants to see.
After studies of lots of video of the boat running in races they put 500 hours into the hull ,relocating the steps, made longer vings . Ends to make the vings more efficent. The result was a boat that got the balance right. www.batracing.no
Espen
Old 05-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who resurrected this old thread? Looking at the date, it was written during my Xmas drinking period in the Keys. For the record....... There were two Beep Beeps built at Cary Marine in Miami Beach, 1973 or so. JC had conned a rich Frog into buying Cary from Elton Cary, and was toying with small class racers. I was GM for the second time. The 32' with BBC was the original 32' Cary/Cigarette. The 29' (one of the best running boats ever) had a more difficult birth (4 years in labor. Top that, you b***h!). If you look closely at the gunwale of a 28' Ciggie, you will notice that there is a second bump about 4" down from the actual gunwale. If you trim the hull on the second line, you have a 26' Cary! We took the 26' and stretccchhhhed it to 29'. It later became all sorts of boats by other, less refined, builders. Whoever wrote the previous thread about the lineage of the chopped off MSV, it was Bill Elswick, not Wishnick, who owned Performer. The original MSV was La Tortuga. It won the Joisy race, when everyone got lost in the fog. It was an exceptionally smooth riding boat. We had certified Crazy SOB, Wayne Vicker throttling. I don't think he was ever beaten in those two boats....
Old 05-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Re: Step Bottom History

Brownie...Question? What did the 26' Cary derive from? Or was it one of the few originals tooled from a plug? Ed
Old 05-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read the thread again. When Aronow molded the 28' Cig (from the 27' Magnum) he added a second gunwale to the hull. Then he molded to the lower gunwale and sold the mold to Elton Cary.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:29 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by espen
Ps: a friend of mine became national (Norway),world champ last season in a Bat boat in 3b(1.3l class 2004.) The year before he strugled to keep up with a regular non stepped v, have it on video if someone wants to see.
After studies of lots of video of the boat running in races they put 500 hours into the hull ,relocating the steps, made longer vings . Ends to make the vings more efficent. The result was a boat that got the balance right.
Halleluyah.......... a lawn dart Version 2.0

T2x.....
Old 05-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, it could be a version -1.0 or -2.0. There are also some pirated and knock-off versions. Not all were successful designs, and (of course) not all were set up correctly every time. yourself.

Mine is slowly coming back together, and may make a late summer appearance in the Barnegat area. We'll do some formation running with your Wing. Have you had it running yet?

Quick Reply: Step Bottom History

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.