Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Top Speed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/381921-top-speed.html)

27Activator 03-17-2024 11:39 PM

Top Speed

Did some quick searching on here and didn't find anything. Has there ever been a Top Speed thread? I always find my self wonder what HP it would take to get a boat to a certain speed or what speeds people are seeing with certain boats. I know these are popular on vehicle forums and the numbers are easy to verify with the drag strip tickets. Maybe a timestamped photo of the speedo could be verification here? Although i never seem to have my camera around at the right time. I think it would be cool to build the list and watch it change over time. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

bencini231 03-18-2024 05:40 AM

There are some threads on here in different sections on what power levels it took to reach certain speeds. One in particular is in the Cigarette section refering to the Cafe Racer and the Bullet with a chart showing the power and top speed. There are others, but this one I remember from when a friend was repowering his Cafe Racer.

Wally 03-18-2024 08:10 AM

Although it would be cool to have a database of setups by make and model....i'm not sure you could compile an accurate listing as there are so many variables with boats...the biggest being the weight and how it was layed up. If the hulls were infused and the exact same amount of glass/resin used each time then that would definitely help things. Then you get into x-dimensions. out-drive gearing, prop rake and dia, The options on the boat i.e. full cabin or race cabin. How efficient is the hull? any hook or rocker in the bottom? Then the water conditions also effect how fast you go..... lots of different things that many people don't think about or know how to check for...
I think its easier on a car because with x-amt of weight and x-amt of HP with x-gearing it "should "place you in x-time slip....not so with boats

apex svt 03-18-2024 08:24 AM

Seen it done very well on the car forum. They used a google doc spreadsheet. Each column had different information.

In that case you can filter down by whichever column(s) you want.

You’ll need to set it up for only certain people to be allowed to edit it. Otherwise it could easily be sabotaged. Keep the link in post#1 and update as people post below.

bobkatz 03-18-2024 10:55 AM

Wonder how the insurance companies would view/interpret this "public spreadsheet"?

87CigCafe 03-18-2024 01:19 PM

Find

Originally Posted by bencini231 (Post 4893325)
There are some threads on here in different sections on what power levels it took to reach certain speeds. One in particular is in the Cigarette section refering to the Cafe Racer and the Bullet with a chart showing the power and top speed. There are others, but this one I remember from when a friend was repowering his Cafe Racer.

i would like to find this post you are referring to happen to know the title of it by chance?

compedgemarine 03-18-2024 04:54 PM

simple answer is, way more power than you thought you needed for way less mph than you thought you would gain

Craney 03-18-2024 06:27 PM

Just remember it’s not how fast you run,it’s how well you run fast.

27Activator 03-18-2024 09:11 PM

Thanks for all the input. I will work up an example. To see if anyone has anything we should add.We can always add as many info columns as needed. Yes the spreadsheet would be locked and only modified by my self. I'm thinking top 10 fastest speeds for each model I'm sure we won't have 10 entries for every model but that would leave the option there for the more popular ones.

articfriends 03-19-2024 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 27Activator (Post 4893407)
Thanks for all the input. I will work up an example. To see if anyone has anything we should add.We can always add as many info columns as needed. Yes the spreadsheet would be locked and only modified by my self. I'm thinking top 10 fastest speeds for each model I'm sure we won't have 10 entries for every model but that would leave the option there for the more popular ones.

On my Baja 272;
stock 502 mag 62 gps
655 hp NA 76 gps
680 blown 78 gps
945 blown 92.8 gps
1050 blown 96 gps
1115 hp blown 99.5 gps