Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
2 stroke guys.... Forced induction? >

2 stroke guys.... Forced induction?

Notices

2 stroke guys.... Forced induction?

Old 12-05-2002, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke guys.... Forced induction?

Found a really small turbo for my goped, thinking about buying it and hooking it up. 22cc 2 stroke, how hard would it be for all the wastegates and blow off valves?
Old 12-05-2002, 02:26 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 945 Likes on 474 Posts

How small??? Smallest turbos ive seen were for snowmobiles and they are slightly smaller then a weedwacker engine....its would be interesting but i think it be a waste of time......do a sneaky pete 50hp NOS shot! LOL!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Registered

only 50 shot? why not a 400 hp fogger systen?
Old 12-05-2002, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Use a short exhaust pipe to the turbo. Run no muffler on the outlet side of the exhaust turbine.

Use a draw-thru setup with the carb on the atmospheric side of the turbo. You'll need to ditch the diaphragm style carb and go with a float style carb off a motorcycle or outboard.

Heat will be a major issue in your little air cooled ringding. Under boost it will get HOTHOTHOT.

It will still have a similar redline RPM wise. You will have to put some huge spool on the drive roller if you want more top speed. It will be a horrid dog at low revs - will also have a higher speed at idle.

I'd start with a 5 pound boost setting and get the jetting close before going higher, and I still think you will have a heat problem.

Other option is to run alcohol - runs far cooler than gas. Will need to use huge jets in the carb and alcohol-rated fuel line (all rubber items will be attacked - also must use a brass on brass needle and seat in the carb). If you run alky, advance the timing 6 degrees.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

WAIT!
How dfoes this turbo lube itself? They usually need a pressure lube system... Maybe you can mount a little oil tank near the handlebars and a catch can after the turbo and run a pressure line from the output side of the turbo to keep positive pressure in the tank to puch lube thru the bearings....
Old 12-05-2002, 07:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DING ding ding, we have the winner of the "Why you don't see turbo'ed 2 strokes" award. You must have positive lube throught the bearings that are turning 20,000 rpm to keep them happy-too much effort, not enough gain.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Land & Sea did a Turbo set up for a while. VERY cool looking. I think it was set on a 200hp engine.

Jon
Old 12-05-2002, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

HyperBaja,

Get yourself an alcohol carb, have the engine bored and stroked, then buy yourself a good quality pipe. I think you'll find that thing will be smokin with all this. Probably cheaper then trying to configure a turbo set up too.

I've trashed our Go Peds and they keep on going. These things will take a lot.

Buck
Old 12-07-2002, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah I had a friend, Jonathon, who bought a used L&S turbo setup. Bolted onto a 2.4 Merc. Actually ran fairly well, just looked weird cause no cover would go over it and most of it hung off one side. I have no idea how it lubed itself.

It didn't run nearly as well as the roots supercharger I had on a 2.4, though. Scott Cruise set it up here in H'ville and ran it for a while before I swapped him some stuff out for it. Continuous spray alcohol injection (sprint car type pump and barrel valve), 200psi cranking compression, 38 degree advance, 12 psi boost, ported block and homemade exhaust plate on back of motor. Blower seals modified for total loss lube setup from a small lube tank. Pre-ran on gasoline and post-ran on gasoline to wash alky out of system. Monster.

I've still got all the parts if anybody wants to mess with it. (suitable only for short runs - not a cruising setup by any means).

Hyper - maybe we can figure out how to bolt this to your goped (although it is five times the size of the motor). It'd be cool.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally posted by buck183
HyperBaja,

Get yourself an alcohol carb, have the engine bored and stroked, then buy yourself a good quality pipe. I think you'll find that thing will be smokin with all this. Probably cheaper then trying to configure a turbo set up too.

I've trashed our Go Peds and they keep on going. These things will take a lot.

Buck
Got it piped, 10 deg. ign advance, carb, intake, k&n filter and more, runs just shy of 30 on a 800 spindle.

How often do you re ring? I have to fairly often along with gaskets. (ps, take out the head gasket to increase compression, noticeable more torque.)

Quick Reply: 2 stroke guys.... Forced induction?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.