OT:  Bush v. Clinton at Christmas >

OT: Bush v. Clinton at Christmas

Notices

OT: Bush v. Clinton at Christmas

Old 12-06-2002, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Bush v. Clinton at Christmas

The following is an excerpt from an article by David Frum that was posted at National Review Online - link to source follows. To me, this is a perfect illustration of the differences between our current president and the previous resident at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. In any case, I thought it was an interesting read, and it will probably get catmando's undies in a bunch, so it's all to the good

Christmas at the White House: The comedian George Carlin used to do this sketch about the seven words that could never be said on television. The sketch was adored by s******ing adolescents of all ages, but is now sadly obsolete – thanks to HBO, the words on Carlin’s list are routinely broadcast. Now we have different taboos, and high atop the list is the ban on the word “Christmas.”

So it took some nerve for President Bush to give the speech he did at the lighting of the National Tree on the Ellipse Thursday evening:

“With the lighting of the National Christmas Tree, we observe one of the great traditions of our nation's capital. And throughout the Christmas season, we recall that God's love is found in humble places, and God's peace is offered to all of us. ... The simple story we remember during this season speaks to every generation. It is the story of a quiet birth in a little town, on the margins of an indifferent empire. Yet that single event set the direction of history and still changes millions of lives. For over two millennia, Christmas has carried the message that God is with us -- and, because He's with us, we can always live in hope.”

Here by instructive contrast is the totality of President Clinton’s reflections on Christmas at the same occasion in 1999.

“In this sacred season, it is time for all of us to renew our commitment to give of ourselves, to reach out to those who are less fortunate, to reach out to those who are different from us, to build the one America of our dreams. In this Pageant of Peace, we celebrate Christmas, also the season of Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa, and others -- all joined by a simple and universal message: that we are to love our neighbors as ourselves.

"This holiday season, we Americans have an awful lot to be thankful for. Our nation is at peace, and all around the world we are privileged to make peace. From Bosnia, to Northern Ireland, to the Middle East -- the land where a homeless child grew up to be the Prince of Peace.

“Just today, in this season, I was proud to announce that after a long, long stalemate, the Israelis and the Syrians have agreed to meet again in just a few days to make their peace.”

President Bush is a man of religious tolerance. Shortly before lighting the Christmas tree, he spoke at the Islamic Center on Massachusetts Avenue to mark the feast of Eid al-Fitr, the termination of Ramadan. The day before he took part in the lighting of a Hanukkah Menorah in the White House. But Bush is a Christian, and when the season comes for Christian festivity, he refuses to be ashamed of who he is and what he believes.

Some people find Bush’s beliefs alarming. They are more comfortable with the kind of tolerance Clinton espoused, a tolerance that rests on belief in nothing at all. But that kind of tolerance too has its dangers, as Clinton himself showed: it collapses easily into a weakness of mind and will, a weakness that Jeremiah diagnosed 2500 years later before Clinton congratulated himself on his adventures in peace-making:

“They have healed the wound of my people lightly, saying, 'Peace, peace,' when there is no peace.

“Were they ashamed when they committed abomination? No, they were not at all ashamed; they did not know how to blush.”
Source
Old 12-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dock,
Loved it!

Funny,
I just got done reading it at NRO(Doing my daily rounds).

Old 12-06-2002, 05:13 PM
The Raven

Catmando
gee sounds like a left coast person.
Your so correct I would much rather have the C.I.C. be a dope smokin, draft dodger, Womanizer, coward leading me into battle.
Hey little george is no saint. BUT get real. At least he stands next to Our Service people.
You sir I feel would be much happier living in another country.
Try europe or Asia for a start.
Thief, How about Mrs. Clinton

Old 12-06-2002, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Just shows the difference between a speech with real meaning and feelings
and a speech that is given just for the sake of giving it.

Remember, "Once an A$$hole, always an A$$hole".
Old 12-06-2002, 08:14 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

It's refreshing to have a real leader with conviction in the White House now.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by catmando
Is Shrub the Commander In Chief or the Preacher In Chief? Government officials have NO BUSINESS advancing religion, which the Commander-In-THIEF clearly did.

And you can take this to the bank: there is NO religous tolerance in the Bush family, and anything he or his family say to the contrary is mendacious.

I'll take Clinton's speech ANY day.

VOILA-undies in a wad.........
Old 12-06-2002, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

The only job Clinton was qualified for is running a turd pump.

My septic tank needs cleaned out. Wonder if he'd be interested?

Probably doesn't have time to pump my sh!t tank out though, for all the huge $$$$$ appearances and stuff he;s into these days.

The fact that so many worship this man is a testament to the phrase, "anybody can be President of the United States if they set their goals high enough".
Old 12-07-2002, 01:41 AM
Registered

Originally posted by insptech
VOILA-undies in a wad.........
Mission accomplished
Old 12-07-2002, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

True.

In my book, any wartime vet more than earned his right to speak his mind. Even if he doesn't share my views.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:50 PM
Registered

Although I don't agree with the catman, he does deserve a right to speak. I appreciate the fact that he fought for our great country but, because he is an American, he has the prividge to speak his mind. I think the Bush family has and is doing great things for this country and the great state of Florida. I could probably argue some great points with the catman, but, he also deserves, as an american, the opportunity to argue his point back. If not, we would not have a democracy. God love our president, and ou great country.

Quick Reply: OT: Bush v. Clinton at Christmas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.