Notices

Apache vs. Cigarette

Old 12-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Apache vs. Cigarette

The age old question returns.

We all have our personal favorites. I think we'd be hard pressed to not consider an owner of either of these great marques lucky indeed.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 Year Old thread....
I might have a different opinion today...
Old 12-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Question......How do you know its wintertime on OSO????

When the one boat VS another boat threads start popping up.......
Old 12-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SABER28
any boat or car that is in less than perfect condition is going to be hammered in the resale dept. in the car biz, good clean stuff brought close to retail, now prime stuff brings wholesale and the rest....well, good luck

i dont think if you compare year for year and horsepower , apaches do any worse than a cig. etc.

remember supply and demand, there are not that many apaches out there.

i know what your point is , that will technology kill the value of these boats, but look at the value of desirable old cars , three times what they cost new, at least.
First, before the Apache Police come gunning, let me say that I have great appreciation for both Cigarette's and Apaches. But this 'old car' analogy that you and 'The Spy' (Hi Ralph) espouse just doesn't fly. I've owned several Cigarettes and over 200 classic Corvettes (in fairness, I do broker them so some I have owned for less than a day); so I know of what I speak. Those of us, including myself, that are addicted to offshore boats, are part of an insane, albeit very small group. The process of selling each of my boats was long. That's because you have to find a person just as wacky about offshore as you are. The Vette's often sell the same day over the phone on a verbal description only. It's all about demographics; the people who desire classic cars are many in number. We offshore folk are a rare breed.

The useability, insurance, storage, and weather factors also are much more favorable to collectible cars. BUT as much as I love my old Corvette convertible, my Cigarette is better!

(This weekend I am looking at a '67 427/435 convertible in need of restoration , so as you can see, it is possible to have multiple addictions)

Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spitfire1,
I hope that was not your AA in Miami the other day. You fly south out of Miami don't you?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Registered

Wow, time warp
Old 12-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Registered

I guess it is time to chime in on this thread... Boats/cars/bikes/planes collectiblility runs hot and cold depending on their place in the current market. Mustangs are collectible partly because Ford and the Mustang are an ongoing concern. Not so for Studebakers. Compare the collectiblity of the two. Now let's look at boats. A good example Is Glastron. As the make has become more popular lately, so have the older models. Especially the Glastron Carlsons. As far as steps versus straight vee, it goes without saying that stepped or pad boats are faster than true vees all things remaining equal. A simple example of less friction. And faster will always be preferred for hot boats. Another factor of collectiblilty, with few execeptions, is that the market will always favor good design and style over lesser alternatives. Example: Early Mustang (64-66) versus late (71-73). As far as the Cig versus the Apache, my bet is on the Cig. Just my opinion. PS: I have bought and sold a few hundred boats and cars. Former dealer for both, and an ongoing hobbyist.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting and enjoyable thread. You gentlemen have expressed some intelligent observations and opinions. If I may offer a few of my own...

I see steps as much more than a "marketing strategy". The boat IS different, handles differently, requires different driving techniques AND makes the boat dangerous to the inexperienced risk taker.

There will ALWAYS be more Cigarettes than Apaches just due to production numbers. There were many years when Cigarette was building 80 to 100 boats a year when the Hollywood, Florida Apache factory at full speed would build twelve 41s and six 47s. Big difference!

CIGARETTE has always been the generic term for a high performance boat and most likely will always be. This fact alone helps with the resale value. When you are the brand that everybody compares you to...well.

If you feel that mentioning how much money you make in a thread like this...you probably ARE a punk.

I love you guys.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good thread with lots of good opinions. I love both brands but the first offshore boat I fell in love with was an Apache. I have grown to appreciate both.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
Very good thread with lots of good opinions. I love both brands but the first offshore boat I fell in love with was an Apache. I have grown to appreciate both.
Ditto

Quick Reply: Apache vs. Cigarette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.