Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Proposed Winnipesaukee Speed Limit (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/38570-proposed-winnipesaukee-speed-limit.html)

bajadude 12-09-2002 03:29 PM

Proposed Winnipesaukee Speed Limit

There is a legislative attempt to have a 25 mph speed limit on the lake from a 1/2 hour before dusk to a 1/2 hour after sunrise. Representative Paul Hatch from Wolfeboro made the request to draft the bill: LSR 430.
Seems to me to be a knee jerk reaction to the Hartman fatality, even though its been shown that one boat was going 28 mph and the other at headway speed.
Anyway, contact your representative and let your voice be heard.
First its a night time speed limit. Guess what would be next?:mad: What happend to "Live Free or Die":confused:

Here are a couple of links:
Link to the legislation status
How to contact your representative
Article in Concord Monitor

Ron P 12-09-2002 04:30 PM

They need to get something so push for manditory liscensing and education. They seem to like that as it's a way to promote safe boating and pick up a couple of bucks for the state.

However a night time speed limit seems OK. Its just makes sense. I think you would have a hard time explaining why you need to go over 25mph in the dark.

At least its not dusk Friday till dawn on Monday.

wwwTOPDJcom 12-09-2002 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Troutly
I agree, speed limits at night make a lot of sense, especially on busy waterways. LOTO has had one for years and I know of no push there to make it a daytime one.
I agree, unless you have nightvision:D

Audiofn 12-09-2002 05:33 PM

Bajadude NH has not been the live free or die state for years now :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :( :( I no longer even go to that lake because of all the hastles associated with running up there. They just do not like us on the lake, so the harbor Nazi's take every oportunity to bust our chops. I got pulled over 3 times one day by these jerks. Never once was I doing anything even remotely wrong except to own a speed boat. I have not been up since then. I will take my money to another state. So far that has been Maine but even up there things are changing :( Who know that MA could be the last hold out

Jon

Biggus 12-09-2002 05:37 PM

Live free or die?

My guess is there are a lot of dead people paying rent in NH:D

mopower 12-09-2002 05:55 PM

Audiofn,
I got a noise ticket in '93 up there. Yeah , I didn't have mufflers but the list of rules on the "Green Chart" failed to mention the fact of the need for mufflers:mad: . So I stayed away for a few years. Cost their economy a lot more than my ticket (like they really care).
Last summer I had no problems , as a matter of fact I blew past a
marine patrol ( keeping my 150' distance) and stopped near Gilford and had the chart and binoculars out when Deputy Dog caught up with me:rolleyes:
Actually we were looking for Ames Farm for breakfast the next morning.
Much to my amazement :eek: he simply asked if we were ok:o
He then pointed out that Ames was down past the next point:cool:
And I run a Formula like you , too. Couldn't have been the boat!

Audiofn 12-09-2002 06:09 PM

MoPower this is a state that if you are BIKE WEEKEND and you ask a girl to FLASH her rack you get hasled!!!! God forbid you are the girl that actually flashes!!!! Honest man I am the first to say when I was being a idiot and deserved to get pulled over. There was a time up there when Biggus, a friend and I were going all over the lake and wer got close a couple times. Ya I probably should have been pulled over then had been informed, but at the next stop Biggus did that for them :D:D Good to have friends that know the rules ;) ;) When I go boating I like to have fun and unfortunatly doing wrong or not the Police and Harbor patrol take that away if you know what I mean. :D Sorry Troutly:p

bajadude 12-09-2002 08:58 PM

They need to get something so push for manditory liscensing and education.
Already have it.

bajadude 12-09-2002 09:02 PM

so the harbor Nazi's take every oportunity to bust our chops
Jon,
I've been boating up here all my life (I'm 50 so :D ). Anyway, I can honestly say I've never had any real hassles with the MP. Some of the "junior" ones are a bit rude (and stupid), but on the whole, I've found them to be pretty much OK. Only got one warning once for no wake. Maybe I've just been lucky:D
MHO

riskybusiness 12-09-2002 09:03 PM

Winni Speed Limit

I lived in Wolfeboro for over 5 years. I was a Tech at the DONZI dealership on Wolfebor Bay (Goodhue Hawkins). Had the time of my life---not a bad job, test driving every brand new DONZI after setting each one of 'em up!!!:D

THis was 10 or so years ago, and rumors of a speed limit were circulating then. It seemed only a matter of time, unfortunately.:mad:

I can say from extensive experience that the Marine Patrol (of "Puddle Pigs, as they were not-so-affectionately known) ruled that lake with an iron fist.:mad:

I haven't been boating up there lately, but I suspect it has only gotten worse.

I routinely got harassed on the lake.

I took a rental boat out one night (from the fleet at the marina), and got stopped because the bow light lens was in backwards (hell, I might have been the one to install it that way, but..). I could have fixed the damn thing with my leatherman right in front of the guy in about 45 seconds, but he apparently hadn't made his quota for the night. Cost me $80+ bucks (a fortune at the time, to me anyway).:mad:

'Lotsa mad smilies on this one.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Speak up, NH residents---pester your legislator(s)---I guarantee the tree huggers will---politicians listen to who they think will vote.;)

Besides, dawn is the best time of day for the Hydrostream---calm & alone.:D