Notices

Uh Ohhhhhhhhhh

Old 12-08-2002, 06:15 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh Ohhhhhhhhhh

Well we pullled the boat up in the driveway to checkout the infamous Gimbal bearing noise.....started it up to check it and noticed NO water from the pipes.....Uh Oh!!!

Yup driveshaft NOT moving at all.....this is bad...well for me.....Pulled the drive off and that was no easy task....imagine the splines loaded up with metal and tryng to pull it out by hand.....not fun but it came off.....well the part behind them motor whatever it's called it stripped cleannnnnn........the shaft for the outdrive is a little filled up with shavings....Oops.....but it looks fine after cleaning......

So I know the motor had to come out and doesn't look to hard.....260Merc Alpha drive Gen1....so what should I need in order to fix this *****.....?.......Me not to exicted about this...
Old 12-08-2002, 06:18 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Sounds like you spun a coupler.It bolts to the flywheel. Pull the engine, replace the coupler.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:28 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And then make sure you realign.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Yup, coupler. You can pick them up used if you look around, or get a new one from any Merc. dealer. Make sure you clean up the input shaft before you put it back in. And yes, ALIGN the drive!! You need a special tool for this, any Merc. service guy can help you out with this.

Sounds like maybe you don't grease the zerk fittings (there are two of them) on your coupler?? Part of the spring un-winterizing for me, but since you don't have to winterize, you should do it twice a year (we boat for 6 months here, you do it year round so do it twice as often).

Not hard to replace except you MUST remove the engine.

Mike
Old 12-09-2002, 06:59 AM
Offshore Addiction

1.5 hrs if you stop and drink a cold beer,if you got enough room just pull the mts loose and turn the engine sideways,pull the coupler and reinstall new one,only about 15 or so bolts and your home free,and you have to align it...........ck your ft mts to make sure there not corroded up while you have it turned and loose,saves you a whole lotta time...........shouldnt have to pull the engine all the way or even the electrical systems,just look behind the motor and make sure theres no cables tied to the transom or stringers.just lift it an inch and turn it...........

Old 12-09-2002, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coupler

sure is, usually makes a whole hell of noise but if something has to go its not a major deal. my coupler sheared clean after i had broken a motor mount running in water i had no business being in. pull the drive, pull the motor, replace coupler and reinstall everything. i would recomend buying a new one though, they're not too expensive at all
Old 12-09-2002, 09:48 AM
CJC
Registered

I blew a coupler this year myself. What really pissed me off, was it was only two years old!!!

I had to pull my engine to put silent choice on. While the engine was out of the boat, we noticed the coupler looked real dry and worn. (boat was only 4 yrs old at time) Previous owner never greased it. Anyways, we replace it to save future expense and being stranded.

...............this summer at 7:00am with the worlds worst hangover, just getting on plane - Wwwwwhhhhhiiinnngggggrrrrggggg!!!!!!!

There was no reason for that to happen!! I kept that coupler well greased, stock power, never beat on, installed by "certified Mercruiser tech" and less than 2 yrs old! I contacted Mercruiser and expressed my concern. They only warranty for one year. However, they did admit that should not have happened. I had to pay all labor, but they sent back 1/2 the $$ for parts. It cranked me to pay anything - but they didn't HAVE to send anything. It was only good customer relations on their part. So, cudos to Mercruiser. I just have sh*t luck I guess!
Old 12-09-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Well I used to have pics of the engine compartment but they went be bye bye a while ago.........I dunno.....I can tell you there will be NO turning this motor sideways.....not nearly enough room for that.....Now on the other hand......behind the coupler is about 6 inches of room between it and the transom assembly.....would this be enough room or no way not close......Explain what's involved in pulling the coupler out.......Plus the Gimbal bearing is shot too.....I think that is the culprit of it all.... It still spins freely but put a load on it with your fingers and it will lock up......Not good again.....Lot of sludge behind the bearing too...nasty looking.......but the bellow looks good real good.....
Old 12-09-2002, 10:27 AM
Offshore Addiction

six inches is enough,just gotta get the bell housing off

Old 12-09-2002, 11:10 AM
Registered

So if i can manage to get the bellhousing off then what will I be looking at???????...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.