Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Towing with a lifted truck..... >

Towing with a lifted truck.....

Notices

Towing with a lifted truck.....

Old 12-09-2002, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Towing with a lifted truck.....

I am seriously considering buying a GMC 2500 HD 4 door with a lift kit (up to 10") and tires.
The truck will have a towing capacity exceeding what I will ever need (22000 lbs).
My questions relates to stability when towing with large tires. I plan on using this truck to tow a 38 top gun with a triple axle trailer.
What kind of problems or handling issues would I expect with this kind of unit?
I would think the problems would be the same regardless of brand.
any ideas? Experiences?
Old 12-09-2002, 03:56 PM
Bayley

Default It's been done...

I've got no experience with what you are talking about, but I did see this rig at the SEMA show this year. Thought you might appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails Towing with a lifted truck.....-%5Blas_vegas%5D26-talk-about-drop-hitch.jpg  

Old 12-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got two words...........Re-Gear.

Buck#183
Old 12-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You got an awlful lot of leverage working on that hitch unless you have the struts that go to it.

Seems like there would also be a lot of floating at the tires too?
Old 12-09-2002, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you my OLD Chevy wonders and sways a lot more now when I am on the freeway running 70. I lifted this one with 6 inch Sky Jacker springs front and back new shocks and steering suff and put 37 inch Good Year MT on it. I sure a newer truck has less efect though? Charlie
Attached Thumbnails Towing with a lifted truck.....-burb-2.jpg  
Old 12-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size tires are you planning on running???? If you stay with 37" or so you will have no problem. I run 37" Goodyears on an 8" lifted Super Duty and it handles extremely well. I consistently pull a 14000lb trailer.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:43 PM
The Raven

Default Alot to ask

Hey Summer
May I ask what Chevy is rated to tow 22,000 I mean no disrespect, but my new Ram 2001 1/2 "V" 10 has 500 ft,lbs of torque at around 2,000 rpms. [ it has been tweeked] it is rated at 13,000.
Any way it will sway a bit with the tall tires, put a big strain on the "U" joints. like the other guy said, you will need sometype of support struts from the hitch to the frame. And a real beefed up dropped receiver. Man a 38 footer will put alot of strain on the TRUCK, is it a Gas engine ? or an oil burner. I would hope an oil burner. And I would check out the tow ratting of the engine, trans, gears, cooling system. You need a TON of low end Torque.
My experience was pulling a friends 33 Sonic on a steel MYco trailer with a 1991 3/4 GMC 6 wheeler, 4x4 Big Block. We did get a bit of wander , and the braking was a bit touchy. The truck was Not lifted.
I would recomend a NON lifted tow vehicle. How far and How often are you gona tow the Boat.
Best of luck.
Keep us informened.
Vin

Old 12-09-2002, 05:23 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Summer, first let me say, I am a Chevy guy till the end and own a 2500 HD and absolutly love it,,,,,, that said,,,Please tell me you did a typo and meant to say 12,000 LBS cuz if someone told you 22,000,,, i'll take some of what they are on !!!!!!!!

I would probably want to do some bracing on the hitch as well,,, instead of pushing and pulling right at the hitch, you have created quite a lever with a big drop.

Also handling stability might come into question,, many veriables there though,,, quality and install of lift kit, and tire sidewall selection. Your going to be pulling alot of weight and if it wanders and sways in normal driving,,, its going to be border line dangerous with a boat yanking the back around.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 2,967 Likes on 981 Posts

Heres a pic of my burban....11" lift on 42's, re-geared it to 496. You get alot of bounce around on a bias tires ANY time let alone towing. No one makes a tire bigger than a 38 in radial. The last I heard they were working on a 40" but I don't know if it's been done yet. You go big....38's or bigger, you definately will need to re-gear.

My girlfriends dad has a duramax diesel dually w/the allison trans....Thing is SWEEEEEET!! Tows like nothings back there.

I'm looking at getting a 2500HD duramax crew cab 4x4 (non-dually) slapping the whiplash 15" lift on it, another 5" of body and putting 44's on it....Stand by, it'll be sick!!

Heres a shot of my suburban.....

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...postid=429031&
Old 12-09-2002, 05:54 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by thisistank
I'm looking at getting a 2500HD duramax crew cab 4x4 (non-dually) slapping the whiplash 15" lift on it, another 5" of body and putting 44's on it....Stand by, it'll be sick!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...postid=429031&
Tank, you are already sick !!!!!

Quick Reply: Towing with a lifted truck.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.