Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best price on TRS drives (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/38870-best-price-trs-drives.html)

Biggus 12-13-2002 03:40 PM

Best price on TRS drives

I`ve been doing some research on NEW, never used TRS drives. There seems to be a few still around. Who has the best price for a new,never used TRS drive????.....the best I have found is 6500.

Thanks, Kurt.

TomFTM 12-13-2002 04:24 PM

Why would you want to spend that kind of money for a new drive that is very scarce to find new(way over priced). You can get your drives rebuilt with new gear case housings , gears and bearings for about that price.. And the rebuilds are stronger than factory new , because of the solid machined spacer in the lower , something that mercury doesn't do from the factory.. Shoot me an e-mail if you would like more info... Tom :)

spyguy 12-13-2002 04:37 PM

Call Offshore Performance Specialties, Don Carter
Phone (239) 489-0884 - Fax (239) 433-2601
www.offshoreperformance.com
[email protected]

thespy 12-13-2002 08:22 PM

I am storing a new trs drive for my friend, it still has the "ok" decal on it. He keeps asking me what is worth. I have told him about $6500. Keep searching the parts for sale. I think you could do a lot better.

Tomftm, what's the story with that red cig near blockbuster on glen cove road ??

TomFTM 12-14-2002 03:19 PM

Thespy, That is a 36 ft Mirage 1984, the power and the drives and the interior are out of the boat. The boat is owned by Gary Pace of Pace automotive directly across the street from blockbuster. The boat used to have #3's and twin 572" gale banks turbo motors. I think he will eventually part with the boat , but not the motors.I have already tryed to get the motors ,with no luck..He wants to waste the motors in a car. He only has one drive for the boat, the other was missing when he got it...I will ask him about selling the boat if you are interested.

Tom

Biggus 12-14-2002 04:58 PM

Tom, got your pm. Thanks for the info. When the drive blew, the loose pinion gear tooth put a 1" crack in the side of the housing. I was thinking of welding it, other than the crack, there is no other visible damage to the case. Is this a bad idea? never thought about the case stretching.

Thanks, Kurt.

Biggus 12-15-2002 06:19 AM

ttt

TomFTM 12-15-2002 08:08 PM

Kurt, If the gear cracked the side of the case I would junk the case, It will only cost you more in the long run.. The drive won't probably won't last 50 hrs with that old case. Also when you get a new case you have to use a new bearing carrier.. That case would probably be fine for a low horsepower application.. Tom