Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   an idiot on fire (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/38940-idiot-fire.html)

Strip Poker 388 12-14-2002 04:33 PM

an idiot on fire

1 Attachment(s)
the car wash across the street from my busness last wed this guys car cought on fire.hes watching it burn on the cell phone calling the fire dept thats right next door to me and across the street. the truck showes up and the fire man puts in 1.00 in the car wash and puts out the fire with the sprayer.i bet he felt stupid on something that he could have done. he might had been out of quarters.or was behined on his payments?

Dredgeking 12-14-2002 04:51 PM

you have to love the american public. they help keep insurance premiums high for all of us.

gdfatha 12-14-2002 07:14 PM

CNN covered a similar fire with graphic footage. They issued a warning about grounding yourself before gassing up. The guy in the CNN story was filling up while standing "ungrounded" in the bed of his truck. Tough way to learn about static electricity.:( :(

Audiofn 12-14-2002 09:10 PM

gdfather cars are grounded even if you are standing in them. You can build up static charge anywere no matter what. The issue lies in the difference of ground potential.

Ok OK no more science lessons :D:D

That guy should get a quick kick in the nuts.

Jon

SeaRay Jim 12-15-2002 02:55 PM

Originally posted by gdfatha
CNN covered a similar fire with graphic footage. They issued a warning about grounding yourself before gassing up. The guy in the CNN story was filling up while standing "ungrounded" in the bed of his truck. Tough way to learn about static electricity.:( :(
And I think there is even warnings on plastic gasoline containers about filling them in the back of a truck. It's nothing new. The can should be on the ground when getting filled up, not in the back of the truck.

HyperBaja 12-15-2002 05:02 PM

Originally posted by SeaRay Jim
And I think there is even warnings on plastic gasoline containers about filling them in the back of a truck. It's nothing new. The can should be on the ground when getting filled up, not in the back of the truck.
Are you saying that isnt COMMON SENSE to everyone??

Ranman 12-17-2002 11:56 AM

I'm sorry, but I find it very hard to believe that a fire truck showed up and the fireman used the quarter sprayer. I've seen several car fires that were put out by firemen and they take NO chances. Even with small car fires (ex. a few burning boxes in the back of a pickup), the firemen typically total the car by drowning it with the fire hose both inside and out. Like I said around here they take no chances and use LOTS of water. I'm not calling anyone a liar, I just think it's hard to believe IMHO.