OT:Another Surround sound system question >

OT:Another Surround sound system question

Notices

OT:Another Surround sound system question

Old 12-11-2002, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT:Another Surround sound system question

I was wondering what the best surround sound system was for around $500 - $550. Can I get a decent system for that amount of money? I need to get it at Best Buy because they have 0% financing until Jan. of 2004. Remember, this system is for my bedroom. Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:06 AM
Registered

Default An old reply to a post

Mpally,

Here is an old reply to a post I put up............I got the system for about $600 at ABC. You may be able to get it at Best Buy though. There is also a 500 w system for about $100 less. I think I also listed the part number later on down in the thread.

Here was the thread http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...Surround+sound

Just outta curiosity, is being wireless necessity ?

If not, I have to say, I just picked up a sony 600 watt system a few weeks ago. It included all the speakers & a sub, a receiver, and a 5 disc cd/ dvd player.

To see how good it was, I took it to my friends, who has the Bose. We set up the speakers near his and put a cd in his, and then mine...........did the same with DVDs. He was very surprised that the one I got sounded as good as it did when cranked (which most of us don't listen to stuff this loud for the most part). Maybe someone with a really keen ear could tell the difference, but I couldn't.

Anyways, the system is less than a 1/3 the price of just the bose I think hes got the 12 series, but the speakers have wires.

I just think it's a lot of bang for the buck, and I'd let you know.

RJ
Old 12-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

look at the yamaha mini system w/ sub 399 i think han it before my 10,000 system... worked quite well!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 06:37 PM
Registered

I went by Best Buy and this is what they told me to get.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=1552&scat=242

With this

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=1552&scat=242

and this

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=26

All this will cost me around $900. Please help me. I do not know that much about this stuff and I don't want to buy junk or pay too much. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:27 PM
Registered

This is Identical to the system I have except I got the 6500 series. The specs look the same except I think the 6500 series has a 600 W output (the 5500 was last years model, but now this one shows the 600 watts. Last yr the 5500 only put ot 75 w per channel)

I agree with you.........I didn't want to buy junk either, or spend an arm and a leg. Like i said, I am no expert, but I'm happy with it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/imagePopup.as...pg&w=501&h=297

I think it's a lotta bang for the buck, in my opinion.........ask Best buy if they have the 6500 series.

In any case, go and listen to any of the systems you buy. I think if you get any new tv and add it to the system, it should give you a good quality picture if it has the colorstream (3 different leads for color that go to the tv from the DVD player).

One other note: I also liked it cause it came with a nice "map" of how to hook up the whole system. It was rather easy.

I'm not tryin to push this one by any means, do some snooping around...........I'm just tryin to let you know my experience.

Happy shopping !

Ratchet
Old 12-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Registered

Sorry, that link is just the pic..........go to all home theatre systems, and look for the sony HT-5500D

Ratchet
Old 12-16-2002, 11:44 PM
Registered

I saw this on another board but thought it was worth mentioning.

Crutchfield has a deal on a Polk Audio RM6000 HT speaker system for $299 with a free pair of speaker stands. You save an additional $50 if you combine it with a HT receiver (you can pick up a lower end Denon, Onkyo, Sony, or Yamaha for $299) and have something that will probably sound a lot better than a Home Theater in a Box. Just something else to consider...

Polk RM6000
HT receivers