Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why? >

cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Notices

cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Old 12-17-2002, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had both made last winter for my 30'er in Leola Pa. Top of the line material and custom fit. Mooring cover has pull cord under rub rail and straps for tie downs in winter. I use this exclusively in winter and will never do the blue tarp thing again. Price... $400 and fits like a glove. Better than some $1000 + covers I looked at before buying. Also got new cockpit cover and poles with all new snaps and same material as above (Top gun I think). Even put Scarab across the windshield so it looks cool as ****. Price $350. He even made me a bag for the cockpit cover and "fender" covers that snap in to protect the back seat when wrenching.
I couldn't be happier with this guy. In fact he is doing my bolsters and gunnels right now.

BT
Old 12-17-2002, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Jay, I had a spare cockpit cover for the 280 Baja that I had. If I can find it, it`s yours man!. I`ll look tomorrow but it might have got tossed in the move to Maine. I had 3 cockpit covers made over the years that I owned the 280 and always paid about 450.00.

As far as I am concerned it`s a must have item.

Jesse James, great tip about the shrink wrap tape! Thanks
Old 12-17-2002, 08:39 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I use both.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:00 AM
Registered

Hey thanks Kurt, you da man!
Hey you can PM me if you find one.
BT, can you PM me the info on your guy?
I was trying to keep the price of a full cover around the 400-500 mark but was concerned with the types of material used and would bump that price up a notch to get a better material.
I never had a full cover on my (Gulp) Bayliner
Okay yeah yeah yeah bash me for the ***liner that I had go ahead, ill wait until your done

okay
I just had the cockpit cover and the bow cover
yeah yeah it was a bow rider *** mobile I know I know.

I often saw the full covers on the other ***liners in the marina and they seemed pretty easy to put on but then again you make the jump from 20 to 30 feet, add about 2 feet of freeboard and you have something that is sitting about 10-11 feet off the ground with the arch on it.
Gents, thanks again, Now if I can get some names and numbers of some people that actually make this stuff, Ill be good to go, got one mother of a Xmas bonus this year and I figured invest it in the boat (yeah like im going to buy work clothes or some **** yeah right)
rather go to work in my skivies and have a nice boat than have a dapper wardrobe and be boatless!

Jason
Old 12-18-2002, 07:10 AM
Registered

I have a cockpit cover for my Hammer....and also a tarp. No way I was gonna dish out all that money for a cover......so i just got a tarp and it works great, got it at a good price too.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:20 PM
Registered

I have both. The previous owner had a nice matching purple Sunbrella boat cover made and that's what I usually leave on. Pooling rain is not an issue since the boat's in an indoor dry stack. If I'm trailering or overnighting and not sleeping on the boat, I use the cockpit cover that came from Fountain.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:45 PM
Registered

Cockpit cover only, because its stored indoors year round!
Old 12-18-2002, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Jesse James: Where do you get the shrink wrap tape? What are the chances of it lifting clear coat upon removal-had this happen with masking tape using same method?
Tip: I use adheasive weather stripping along the cockpit cover just behind the snaps to make a seal against the boat to keep the dust out. It works pretty good.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:12 PM
canvasboy

I make custom fit covers at the lake of ozarks. I use a full mooring cover for my boat year round. I don't like the snapping on and off every time I use or store my boat. Although a cockpit cover may be cheaper I believe the full is the way to go. Just always use mooring poles and if trailering mostly-go with c.p cover but be prepared to hose her off after trip.

Old 02-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sonny Spectre 30,
I use the shrink wrap tape also when trailering any distance. What you want is called preservation tape it is the tape that attatches the shrinkwrap to the boat, there is another kind that is made to tape the shrinkwrap to itself but I have never tried it, it's not made to go onto fiberglass.
Preservation tape isn't cheap, last roll I purchased was around $25, the cool thing is that it can be reused, I roll it up around a plastic bottle when I take it off and reuse it, if you are worried about it taking off some clear coat(I don't think it will, I've used it on the cowls on my outboards and it doesn't take the paint off) you could stick it to something that is gelcoated first and then pull it off and put it on the clear coat, each time you reuse it it sticks a little less, I can reuse it 3-4 times.
I've purchased it at a local marina that does shrink wrapping, did a search on the web one time and found a few places that sold preservation tape, Dr. Shrink is one name that comes to mind.

Hope this helps,
Caleb

Edit to add: Make sure you put it on when the boat is dry, it will stay on in the rain but will not stick to a wet surface.

Last edited by timewarp; 02-06-2003 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.