Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why? >

cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Notices

cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I use a cockpit cover and a tarp. I get the green tarps so they blend in with the landscape better. The main reason I don't get a full cover is because of the crap that comes off of the trees. I have a lot of tall oak trees on my property and they will ruin a cover in a couple of years. A tarp lasts me a couple of years and then I trash it.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine came with just a cockpit cover. Due to the age of everything, it just flat fell apart at the seams (literally).
I was using a blue tarp (I know it's tacky, but what was I going to do?) to cover it. I priced a new cockpit cover and man was it out of my price range at that time.
So, being the cheapskate that I am, I looked into a pre-made full cover. My boat is only 22' long and finding one to fit wasn't too difficult. Purchased one for just over a hundred and it fits/works perfectly. It has elastic around the edge and web loops for rope or bungee cords. I used bungee's to keep it from blowing off.
As for keeping the rain from puddling, I found if I raised the engine hatch just a little the rain runs right off.

I'll save my pennies up and buy a new cockpit cover soon.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JAY i hope this is the worst secret of your past that you are going to reveal here on the board!! you must have gone thruogh therapy to even feel confident enough to admit you owned a, a, you know the bayliner thingy.

j/k Rob
Old 02-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Registered

Thanks man!
No I have to admit this
it was not "fast" It was not an offshore craft by any means
but I beat the SNOT out of that thing CONSTANTLY
ran WOT about 85% of the time I took it out
Put about 350 hours on it and most of them HARD hours
and she just went dude.
Ill say this
if my boating experience with that boat was as bad as this baja has been I would not be speaking with you now.
I probably would have had a total loss of interest and never even bought the baja
so yeah it was a slug, went about 45-48 on its BEST day down river down wind. But I must say it did NOT fall apart except for the real crappy job of the wiring. It handled okay, she always started, and took my constant beating
I would get behind big tankers in the monster swells behind them and just have a ball in that boat
I was also 15-17 when I had that, but she took a beating and kept on ticking
for what it was, and not expecting it to be a 41 apache or fountain ect, it was well worth the 9995.00 that it cost new, and delivered alot of fun through my teenage years.
would I buy one now?
HA, not on your life
was it a good starter boat
By all means hell yeah
so okay saying that it was embarassing is sort of true, tart blue stripe and a white hull was boring, but she went bro, more than I can say for this baja
Rob, you going to AC on saturday?
J
Old 02-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Registered

Both. Always the full cover while not in use, but for the weekends my boat is usually under a roof. I keep the cockpit cover in the boat incase I get caught in the rain
Fall 2002 Harbor Hop at LOTO I'm sure many can remember.

My full cover also has the rope running thru so that you can pull it tight. It came with the boat and I had never seen that before.

Eventhough my boat is is covered storage with the full cover on, it has gotten completely filthy. But that makes the first wash of the season that much better! ! !
Old 02-07-2003, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is a picture of the full cover that was on my 28' Pantera that is now owned by Griff on this board. Too Old has also seen this cover. The cover was made by a company here in Ocean City called Canvas Experts (410-641-2228). It fits skin tight and protects the entire boat really well. I also had a cockpit cover for this boat, but I do not know where it was made.
Attached Thumbnails cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?-01.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 02-07-2003 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here are a few pictures of a full cover that the same company made for my 38' Cigarette Top Gun. This cover was made in two pieces that zip together right in front of the cockpit. This made the cover much easier to handle when off of the boat. I also had a cockpit cover for this boat.
Attached Thumbnails cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?-1.jpg  
Old 02-07-2003, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another angle.
Attached Thumbnails cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?-2.jpg  
Old 02-07-2003, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Last angle.
Attached Thumbnails cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?-3.jpg  
Old 02-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I do not have any better pics of this cover. This is our 36' canopied Gladiator. This full cover is just like the others. It wraps under the bow for stone protection on the highway, is two pieces and does a fantastic job of protecting the boat. So far this cover has a few thousand highway miles on it (no joke...4 trips from MD - FL and back and numerous trips to NJ and back) and, like the others, has had no problems at all. This cover just won the crew at Canvas Experts a regional canvas design award. They are now in the running for a national design award. Maybe if they win I can get a discount on my next cover!! I also had them make a cover for just the canopy, to be used when the boat is on display.

The boat next to mine in this picture is my throttleman's 39' Kryptonite. That cover is exactly like the one that was on my Top Gun. Like me, this is his third cover like this from Canvas Experts (for 3 different boats...22' Donzi, 27' Kryptonite and this Kryptonite). My first full cover from them was also for a 22' Donzi Classic. Needless to say, we are happy with their work.

Call us crazy, but we figure that with the money we all have invested in our boats, the dollars paid in protecting them are dollars well spent.
Attached Thumbnails cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?-10.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 02-07-2003 at 01:30 AM.

Quick Reply: cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.