Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why? >

cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Notices

cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Old 12-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

cockpit cover, snaps pain in the ass, break off all the time, cleaner more sporty look though, smaller, less expensive.

Boat cover, more expensive, much larger and bulkier. No snaps, no bull to deal with, put it on and boom your done

Which pros and cons did I miss?

What do you use and why?

My cockpit cover has suffered from the lack of "giving a ****" from the one marina place I took the boat to get the gimbal ring and swivel shaft replaced. The prop rod was never used to "tent" the cockpit cover and thus about 500 or so gallons of water laid IN the cockpit cover until it finally let loose and split up the middle.
The marina said well it was over its age limit anyway so they dont want anything to do with it what so ever.
(nice customer service right? we rip it you replace it )

So any way, Im debating on getting a FULL cover to go from bow to stern or to just replace cockpit cover with another snap on type. Still have the old one which im sure one of these canvas places could use as a template and make another one.

How much are these things? How much are boat covers?
how do they deal with full boat covers on a boat with an arch?
(NO im not taking my damn arch off so forget that guys, I LOVE MY ARCH!!!!!)
okay so I have issues

Any good canvas people around in the philly area that anyone knows of?
Thanks all

Jason

PS right now im using those real huge Blue tarps that they sell at home depot, it works well but after the winter winds they look dated but they DONT leak
Old 12-17-2002, 01:53 PM
Intolerant1

I have both. 26' boat is kept on a trailer and stored outside during summer. I use the full cover whenever its on the trailer and parked. I use the cockpit cover when parked in the marina, when trailering during rain, or if its only out of the water for a day or so. Trailering takes its toll on the cockpit cover but it beats road grime all over the interior.

The full cover is a ***** to handle alone but less work cleaning and rewaxing. My gell still looks good for 10 years old.

Old 12-17-2002, 02:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

What Too Old said! Although, when the boat is on our covered lift, I leave it uncovered.
MD
Old 12-17-2002, 02:15 PM
Registered

what about an arch? How do they get around that part?
snap it around arch, or go over the arch itself?
I have my arch propped up with a 2x4 and padded top and bottom into the bilge on the stringers to support any added weight like snow ect.
that is with the tarp over it.
I dont think a full cover would go OVER the arch though.
what about prices and maybe websites that have them???
I am leaning towards the full cover, that way it sort of is the best of both worlds.
when I tow my boat I dont worry about the cockpit cover. Always had it off, Im more worried about storing the boat outside summer and winter.
Jason
Old 12-17-2002, 02:16 PM
Registered

When on trailer- Full cover, protects more than the snap covers

when in water-snap cover, dosent cover it all so i need to wax the red deck every week, but the full cover will not go on from back to front as it needs to be while at the dock.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same as Too Old,

Cockpit cover for overnighter, full cover rest of the time even when stored inside. My full sunbrella cover was custom made , (had to fit the beak) for around $1200-1300? That may be a little pricy but I have a draw rope to pull it tight a zipper on side and it wraps all the way under the boat.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:25 PM
Registered

I use both. Sunbrella cockpit cover for Saturday nights, Jetmate full cover for the rest of the week. The full cover is a royal PIA since I'm covering 41' down to the chines on a lift. The cover weighs about 75lbs. I use bungee cords around the cover and attach them to the boat lift. It's taken winds to 75 mph without a problem. Takes 10 minutes to put the cover on but since it's waterproof the boat stays as clean as the day I put it away. It also has pleanty of venting so moisture / mildew has never been a problem in the 6 years I've been covering it this way. I'm convinced, for outside storage full cover is the only way to go.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:28 PM
jb
Registered

a properly fitted and maintained cockpit cover is simple and will last a long time. Get both or get a cockpit cover them have them add a bow cover that zips to the cockpit. But the snaps under the rub rail.
Always need a cockpit cover, thats mandatory.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:29 PM
Registered

Does anyone use their full cover throughout the winter? I've always shrink-wrapped. Could I get away with a one-time purchase of a good full cover instead?

Inquiring minds want to know....
Old 12-17-2002, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer is: Contact Magicfloat (Nelems) for a cover. I saved over $1000.00 with him. He did a really good deal for Too Old also I believe on a trailer.... bottom line- good folks.
Like most everyone else, cockpit cover when on lift or overnighters. Full cover for long term trailer storage..... with TWO poles to tent the canvas!! Water is heavy!

Quick Reply: cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.