Car purchase....need advice

Notices

Car purchase....need advice

Old 12-17-2002, 07:57 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car purchase....need advice

Mother in law has asked that I do some shopping for her as she is looking for a new car. I welcomed the opportunity as I love to deal with car salesmen.

She has her eye set on a new Chevy Malibu LS, something simple, economical and yet reliable. I stopped in by a few dealers both of which have plenty of stock on these cars and have come up with the following.

Without any haggling at all (I am not use to that ), they have shown me the GM invoice and have said that they will sell the car for GM Supplier price (list is 20,910, GM Supplier sell is 19,278).

On top of this, she will receive an additional $ 2,000 instant rebate and $ 1,000 cash back if she buys before January 2nd. So that puts this particulair car at about $16,278 + TTL.

Is this a decent price break (GM Supplier) or is there more to be had?. Normally I shot for a 10% discount plus any incentives etc..

BTW, she is paying cash for the car, no financing, no nothing

Thanks in advance

Jeff
Old 12-17-2002, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has an 02 Malibu and loves it. Whenever I ask what he thinks of a car, he goes on about the pros of a Malibu.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:19 PM
packinair

go on EDMUNDS and you can build the car and see the invoice and also see if there is and dealer cash.....

Old 12-17-2002, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a good deal would be at invoice as there is still some dealer "holdback" left for their profit.

and don't let the dealer keep any of the rebates, those are GM's incentives for you to buy. also. if she can get 0% percent interest, why not. that cash can be used for other things like credit card payoff or extra principal in december on the mortage etc. can't buy money cheaper than 0% .

i'm in the industry (automotive supplier) and the talk is that the manufacturers are in trouble, they set the precident with 0 percent and now the sales are dwindling, and there is no place to go from here other than lowering prices and eroding more profits.their answer, squeeze it from the supplier.

a great time to buy a car.

Oldsmobile has some real good incentives too to keep their models moving.

good luck. it' always fun to spend other peoples money
Old 12-17-2002, 08:36 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

It doesn't sound bad to me. I've worked for car dealers for 15 years, sounds like you've found a straight forward one. Don't let her pay cash if you can get 0% financing. We have it right now (Saturn) so Chevy might too.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:41 PM
Registered

Buy a truck. Save a life.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:19 PM
NJScarab

Buy a Jetta,a much better car with a much better resale value.

Old 12-18-2002, 07:51 AM
22Velocity

HP 500 , During the month of December is one of the best months to buy a new Gm car, I know because I just retired from General Motors this past year. The Corporation pays the dealer a sizeable amount of money if they make their retail sales objective this month. I was at a dealership yesterday where the dealer had already made his number for the month. GM will credit this dealer well into the six figures. At this stage of the month he can afford to take very low deals. Call me if you have any questions, I am nearby in Brookfield. Frank 262- 860-3622

Old 12-18-2002, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As posted earlier, look it up in Edmunds. It does sound like a pretty good deal though
Old 12-18-2002, 08:22 AM
Uncle Toys

Forget about invoice, holdbacks, etc. Pivot off of the sticker price. Best I have seen has been 15% off sticker - basically where you are now. Unless your buying a 2002, with the new models out. Then I have seen lower. Got minus 20% back in February on my 2001 Ford V10 X. All the car manufactures are hurting right now, especially the Americans. Push it hard and good luck.

Quick Reply: Car purchase....need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.