Cryogenic treatment for drive gears >

Cryogenic treatment for drive gears

Notices

Cryogenic treatment for drive gears

Old 12-16-2002, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Cryogenic treatment for drive gears

I`m in the process of rebuilding my blown TRS drive and after some research I`ve decided to have the gears,shafts and bearings Cryo treated by Diversified Cryogenics in MN.

Several months ago someone had posted about repeated drive problems that were totally eliminated by this process.

I`d love to hear from someone with first hand experience with the treatment.

Thanks, Kurt.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:07 AM
liquidlocomotive

I hear it has been tried and was not successful. it does change the way the metal is formed but that is not always good. was told to save my money.

Old 12-16-2002, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a couple of failiers with TRS gears (once in upper & once lower) five or so years ago and since Merc doesn't make heavy-duty forged gears for the TRS, I decided to try the (then new to me) Cryo-treatment process and buy the necessary tools and manuals and go through the whole thing myself since most local Merc. techs don't have a clue when it comes to what it takes to set up a TRS properly. The process wasn't available locally so I sent my fairly new upper and brand new lower gears off to Ohio. Had everything together, filled with Amsoil racing gear lube and on the water in 3 weeks. Not a problen since - not even any fuzz on the magnet and I am putting well over 500 hp into it. We have a good facility cryo-treating locally now and since freight is no longer a factor for me I would definitely do all bearings and shafts as well as gears next time around. (if there ever is one) Also Kurt, You might get more response to this from the TQ&A section. They are crying for stuff over there. --- Jer
Old 12-16-2002, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Biggus - Mbam (Mark of Bam Marine fame) has done this I think. At least he sells some kind of stronger, treated, lower gear set for TRS.

Sounds like we might be getting together in January. We'll have to get cobra marty to show us the night life, he lives about 15 minutes away from Nickerson's.

Last edited by tomcat; 12-16-2002 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Biggus,

It has worked well on motorcycle transmission parts for me. The bikes tranny takes a lot under drag racing loads, and we were blowing gears,forks,shafts etc.
Sent em out to NJ for treatment and have not had a failure since. We are talking about 9 sec. 1/4 mile machines making 200 mph top speeds.
Beyond treatments and good lubricant make sure everything is shimmed and pre-loaded properly.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2002, 11:06 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.ws6.com/cryo.htm
Old 12-16-2002, 11:06 AM
Registered

biggus.... remember me? Bravo Drive It
Old 12-16-2002, 11:10 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.300below.com
Old 12-16-2002, 12:04 PM
Registered

I've done a fair amount of research and testing on Cyro treatment to cutting tools. The only treatments that showed a significant benefit were those that went down to the -300deg point; there are a few companies the bring the temp down to about half that and from my experience it has little to no effect. The results we saw were: 1. Stesses were removed=less breakage and greater ability to take 'hits' 2. Decreased wear = longer life 3. Incresed lubricity=linger life and more efficient.
From the tests and research I did I'd swear by it, if it is done properly. If you need shop names and #'s let me know and I can dig them up.

Steve
Old 12-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the input guys! I called Diversified Cryogenics and spoke with the owner. He was very informative and seems to be really intune with this process being utilized in all forms of motorsports. I`ll be sending all the bearings, gears and shafts to them. At this point, it seems like a no brainer, the cost for treatment is $5.00/lb and there is a $100.00 minimum charge.

Tomcat, I am looking forward to the trip to Nickersons, never been to a dyno pull before! should be a fun weekend!

Bilgerat, you know my boat. Do you think a Bravo will hold up better than the TRS? I see way too many broken Bravos with much less power.Do you remember what side blew last time (when Dennis owned it) rh or lh rotation?

Thanks a bunch, Kurt

Quick Reply: Cryogenic treatment for drive gears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.