Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The girlfriends car died today......FINALLY!!!! >

The girlfriends car died today......FINALLY!!!!

Notices

The girlfriends car died today......FINALLY!!!!

Old 12-18-2002, 07:22 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up The girlfriends car died today......FINALLY!!!!

Yup, Holly's car siezed the motor today. Full of oil so that's not it. It WAS a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire with the POS 4 banger in it. Ugly as sin, drove like shat, didn't get the best mileage, needed tires and brakes, ugly, POS car, ugly....did I say it was ugly?? Anyway, salvage yard is giving her $500 for it (body is o.k. but not perfect) and it only has about 90,000 miles on it. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but from what she said I'm thinking she lost a head gasket. Been there, dont that.

So now the fun part.....car shopping!!!!! We both like the new Kia Sorrento (looks like a small Lexus SUV). She want's something small (not a big truck or car).....decent on gas, safe (4 wheel drive), and a good warrantee. Every time we see one she says she likes it. Anyone have any experience with this SUV????? Or can anyone make any recomendations on a small SUV or car that might fit these criteria? Say, under $17,000????? Used or new.

Thanks.

Mike
Old 12-18-2002, 07:46 PM
Registered

HEY WATERFOUL...I bought my wife a HYUNDAI SANTA FE last year...(Don't laugh)...I did ALL the homework & it was DEFINITELY the most SUV/trucklet for the money(at THAT time..2001)...You get a LOADED awd, V6, 4w discs, "shiftronic" auto stick, power everything, 22mpg, 10 year/100k warranty,etc., for around $18,000K. It has been totally trouble free(19,000k) so far. She is VERY happy with it & I'm not embarrassed to be seen in it either...You mentioned the SORRENTO...I really like the looks & if it stacks up to the SANTA FE I would definitely put it on my list of possibilities...I think the build quality issues are pretty much a thing of the past & it's pretty hard to get a POS these days by ANY of the manufacturers, so get what you like....
Old 12-18-2002, 07:51 PM
Registered

Mike~ Check out this site for almost every question you have!!

http://www.edmunds.com/

Good luck to Holly! And HAVE FUN!! (Getting a new car is soooo exciting!!)

Tracy
Old 12-18-2002, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if she'll like the looks of them or not, but you can get a Subaru Legacy in that price range. Been looking at them myself for the wife's next ride. She actually wants a wagon.
I like the Audi All-Road, but that would take away serious boat $$.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:00 PM
Registered

You'll also see on that site, vehicles that are comparable to whatever vehicle you are interested in.
It's an awesome site!!
Old 12-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

Have a 2000 Pontiac Grand AM GT, 47000mi, Black w/ Charcoal interior, Air, Auto, Power Windows, Power locks, Power drivers side seat, AM/FM/CD, V6 $10K

Keith

Last edited by Playn; 12-18-2002 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:18 PM
gofastboater

Mike, I have a pair of roller skates for sale

GFB

Old 12-18-2002, 08:54 PM
Registered

The PONTIAC VIBE is a pretty cool lookin ride...
Old 12-18-2002, 09:47 PM
Registered

You guys buying all those foreign cars make me sick !!

Of course , Mercedes,BMW, Ferrari, and Lamborgini's are excluded from the "foreign" comment.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:24 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Hey Chuck, I own two American vehicles (yes, my HONDA was built in the USA). You work in the Auto Industry, so you should know it's getting harder and harder to buy a "foreign" car these days. Besides, I do my part to support the American commerce level fixing my boat all the time!!! LOL!!!

BMW X-5 SUV......South Carolina, as is their small sports convertible.
Honda (nearly EVERY Honda in the U.S.) is built here (in the south mostly).
Mercedes ML 340, 430, and the AMG version are built in Cottondale, Alabama (A plant I have spent considerable time at).
Mazda, Flatrock Michigan
Camery, USA
In fact, there are more American cars built in Mexico and Canada than there are "Import" cars from Asia these days. Dodge Trucks, mostly Mexico. Chevy 1500, 2500 series pickups and SUV's, nearly ALL in Mexico. A lot GM midsize cars are built in Canada. The now defunct F-body (Camaro, Firebird) were ALL built in Canada. As were the Lumina sedans (another plant I've been to on occasion).

And what does Ford, GM, or Chrysler build that can compete with the Santa Fe or the Sorento in price, content, warrantee, and build quality? The tracker? I don't think so!!!! Escape, more $$ than either (in fact, they seem really pricey to me). PT Cruiser? Yup, but she doesn't like them (I do, but oh well I got out voted ). The new Blazers are big money.....Durango is too big. Doesn't like the Explorer.

I do like the Subarus....gonna try to steer her to that dealer too. I'm shooting for an all out SRX version!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: The girlfriends car died today......FINALLY!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.