Notices

Speed Limit Alert!!!

Old 12-19-2002, 05:23 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation Speed Limit Alert!!!

To All NJ boaters and anyone that vacations in NEW JERSEY, We need your help on January 8th in Trenton, NJ for a meeting where they are pushing to pass a SPEED LIMIT on NJ's waterways. Here is a LINK for articles and letters in regards to this matter.
SPEED LIMIT UPDATES

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 03-05-2003 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:19 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Default We Did It!!! LIVE RADIO 12-20-02

Thank you all for the emails sent to NJ101.5 FM Radio Station. DaveP will be on the air @ 6:15AM tomorrow!!!
Great timing! Right in the middle of RUSH HOUR....
This will help a great deal to get the word out. Here is a copy of the email from the club:

Subject: We did it!! Tomorrow Dec. 20th 6:15am FM101.5 With Jim Gearhart!!!

YES! We received the call this morning from the Jim Gearhart show. Dave
Patnaude will be on @ 6:15am to plead our case for NO SPEED LIMITS ON
INLAND TIDAL WATERWAYS!!!

Call in to the show and voice your support! The station phone number is
1-800-283-1015.

This is a huge opportunity for us to plead our case and muster support
for people to come to the January 8th Meeting of the Rec. Boating
Safety Commission!

PLEASE CALL IN!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR EMAILS TO NJ 101.5!!!

Old 12-19-2002, 06:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharkey,Smitty and I are there and anyone else we can round up! If you could,bring info to the meeting so we can hand out to everyone or fax it to me so I can make a load of copies,FAX # 201-863-5999 or e-mail [email protected]..Thanks again,Augie.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who emailed the station!

A SPECIAL THANKS TO OSO MEMEBER "McGary911". He used to work on the air at 101.5 and sent a special email of his own to Jim Gearhart!

Tune in tomorrow @ 615am! Call in to voice your support for Mandatory Education and NOT SPEED LIMITS!!!

The station phone number is
1-800-283-1015.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

McGary911 and Jim Gearhart,Thank you for having open ears and minds. Dave P,Thank you for being our voice,good luck tomorrow!Augie
Old 12-19-2002, 09:33 PM
Registered

Great news! If i was any help, im glad i could assist. Never know when an OSOers old career may come in handy. Seems as if im going to get up a little earlier than normal than normal tomorrow.
NJ 101.5 is the biggest FM in NJ, and can be heard in just about every square inch of nj, much of manhattan, eastern PA, and when i was on the air, even got a call or 2 from delaware, because the station is simulcast out of a station in Atlantic City. For the life of me i cant remember the AC frequency.

Dave, give 'em hell. Anyone else, their call in # is 800 283 1015

Good Luck!!!
Old 12-20-2002, 06:19 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

LIVE ON NJ 101.5 FM NOW 7:23AM

Old 12-20-2002, 06:28 AM

Dave P!!! Just heard you on 101.5 you did a great job!! OTTO
Old 12-20-2002, 08:24 AM
Registered

Thanks Otto!

It could have been better - but at least we got the message out!

If anyone has any other media connections (radio, TV, newspaper etc...) let me know - I am more than happy to talk about this with anyone who can help us gain exposure.

Also - I received a call from Martin Sanborn on behalf of APBA Offshore. He said they are working on the World's TV shows right now. He said he will do his best to try and include our speedlimits issue in the video some how with the commentators talking about it.

Thanks again to everyone who has and continues to support our cause!!!!
Old 12-20-2002, 08:45 AM
Registered

This is what I wanted to discuss this morning:

Why is a speed limit on inland tidal waterways ridiculous?

1.Not All Boats are equipped with speedometers
2.Those that are – 75% of them are inaccurate or do not work
3.Radar Guns do not work effectively on fiberglass boats
4.Statistics show that over the last 10 years boating registrations have increased in NJ and accidents have declined.
5.If the speed limit was in place this past summer – not one life would have been saved because of it
6.NJ State Police stated that it would be virtually impossible to enforce with their already limited man power
7.We have met with state assemblymen (not mentioning names) and even they agree that it would be impossible to enforce.

What our opponents say?
Willie De Camp of Save Barnegat Bay – He had stated that he doesn’t like statistics. That is because the statistics show the opposite of what he says. He also says it doesn’t take an idiot to know that a boat going fast on Barnegat Bay puts others in Jeopardy. I say that anyone who makes a blanket statement like that without looking at the facts is an idiot. National statistics show that the smallest percentage of accidents occur in excess of 40mph on the water. The majority of all accidents occur under 40mph. Willie De Camp also has said that speed limits is a good place to start and that mandatory education and licensing would take almost 5 years to enact. I believe that Jet Ski’s had mandatory education enacted within 18 months. AGAIN! Willie De Camp is afraid of the facts!
Willie De Camp also says that Maryland has speed limits and 100% conviction rate of violators! Willie De Camp OMITS the FACTS that Maryland has speed limits only in very shallow narrow areas similar to the size of the Pt. Pleasant Canal. The NJ State Police also have 100% conviction rate for people who break the “no wake zone” in the canal.

Roger Brown of the NJ State Boat Regulation Commission - has stated that this proposed speed limit is in response to people who have called or contacted him regarding noise and speed on the rivers. Little do the complainers know – but there was a law passed in 1987 regarding boat noise with the help of Willie De Camp. The law has not been enforced in over 10 years! The NJ State Police Marine Bureau are not even certified to use the equipment anymore!

Larry Babbio, Verizon Vice Chairman and President - he spent millions building his new mansion in Brick and says he doesn’t like noise. He should have chosen to move to “On Golden Pond” if he wanted peace and quiet. The Jersey shore is a beautiful area, but it is far from quiet during the summer. You don’t move next to a garbage dump one day and then call up the town the next day and say “it stinks around here”

Assemblyman Robert J. Smith, II – Head of the legislative task force for safer boating - said that capsizing his boat and being rescued by the Coast Guard was a very terrifying experience. I would venture to say that if he had a better understanding on how to handle a boat in rough seas he might not have wound up in the situation he did. The bottom line is that the captain is responsible for the safety of his vessel and crew.

Why will Mandatory Education and Licensing Work?
1.85% of all boating accidents that occur nationally happen with owners that have had ZERO formal education on how to operate a boat
2.The “crazy boaters” that are on the water are crazy because they are ignorant to “the rules of the road” and do not understand who has the right of way.
3.In NJ you need a license to operate every kind of motor vehicle (car, motorcycle, plane, scooter, helicopter and a tractor trailer) except a powerboat! Start with educating and licensing.
4.Licensing would enable the state to penalize someone’s car license for the people who are “repeat offenders” of boating recklessly. Right now – boaters just get continual slaps on the wrist.

We should also look to have better communication between powerboat and sailing clubs so all organizations can be aware of each other’s special events. This will also help eliminate congestion.

What can people do to fight this!

1.Attend the next NJ State Boat Regulation Commission meeting! The meeting will be at New Jersey State Police Headquarters West Trenton, NJ Wednesday, January 8, 10 AM (609) 882-2000
2.Write letters & call your state assemblymen!!!!
3.Write to:
Roger Brown, Chairman
New Jersey Boat Regulation Commission
c/o New Jersey State Police, Marine Services Unit
P. O. Box 7068
West Trenton, New Jersey 08628-0068

4******rm your fellow boaters of the pending legislation!!!
5.Go to our website for constant updates: www.njppc.com

Quick Reply: Speed Limit Alert!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.