Notices

Galyan's Trading Co.

Old 12-19-2002, 10:36 AM
TulsaLarry

Default Galyan's Trading Co.

This morning the Wall Street Journal had an interesting article on Galyan's Trading Co. and I am researching the company for possible investments. On the surface it looks good but I have never been in one of their stores. Since this is a recreation and sporting forum I am sure that some of you have been in one of Galyan's stores and I would like to know what you thought of them. Is this the type of store you would shop in for your sporting and recreational needs?

Old 12-19-2002, 10:44 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I go in there to play on the climbing wall for virtually free, (they just ask for donations). The only thing I have bought there is Powerbars. I usually shop there to see what I like, and go look to buy it somewhere else, as it is usually 10-15% cheaper some place else. Their prices are astronomical to pay for all of that overhead (literally).
Old 12-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Kohldog

There are a couple of Galyan's in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area. They always seem to be busy whenever I have been in the store. I'm not a huge Galyan's shopper but they seem to be doing a good amount of business.

Old 12-19-2002, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have posted, it is a great store to go look at the merchandise, but when it comes time to pay, I go elsewhere. They usually do have decent sales after the season though. That is about the only time I have bought from them.

Aqua
Old 12-19-2002, 05:35 PM
Allan4

Man, you guys are being pretty nuetral, I think those places are awesome!!! We have Bass Pro Shop in Cincy that also has two levels and probably another 50% more floor space than any Galyan's I've been to (Columbus Oh and Louisville), and I would rather shop Galyans than Bass Pro. Both pretty sweet though. I agree on the prices though, a little on the high side, but a very broad selection and a really neat place. Not sure on their business practices or history though, just as a consumer. It would depend tremendously on demographics, as usual. What is the outdoor recreation lifestyle like in Tulsa? Do you have running water or nice inland lakes, ie for kayaking? Do you have snow skiing, cold weather etc (I know you are fairly close to Colorado, but anything local.....I would imagine no!!), What are the weather patterns. Outfitting clothes have to be a large portion of sales at a store like that. Along with indepth probes of local demographics and purchasing patterns and local developement, I would consider these types of questions to ask yourself. Are you looking as an active or silent partner, do you have retail investment experience, etc etc etc......Hope this helps, good luck. Allan

Old 12-19-2002, 06:55 PM
TulsaLarry

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like everyone agrees that their prices are too high but do enjoy the stores. This group is a public traded company with sales between 400 and 500 million dollars, a low price earnings ratio and an impressive growth rate.
The debt ratio is modest, especially considering the vastness of their stores. I am always looking for young growth companies and this one struck my eye.

Alan, around Tulsa we do have a lot of recreational and sporting activities but the Tulsa Mountains are a bit small for snow skiing, we usually go to Colorado or New Mexico for that sport.

Old 12-19-2002, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Expensive, huge selection of everything, climbing wall, stores are well built, clean etc...

Sydways, ya been to Aura Science?? there a few built in the country, some here in columbus, some in DC, some in LA, My dad was in charge of building them all.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:35 PM
Allan4

Hey TulsaLarry, do you know how many stores they have and what is the ticker symbol?? Thanks.

Old 12-19-2002, 07:43 PM
TulsaLarry

Allan4

Stock symble is GLYN and closed at $10.52 today. At the moment I am at home and do not have my research with me but I believe they have 17 stores with most all being in the mid-west.

Old 12-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Allan4

Cool, I will look them up......might be a good call. Nice price as well......later. Thanks

Quick Reply: Galyan's Trading Co.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.