Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What is with people these days????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39289-what-people-these-days.html)

Waterfoul 12-19-2002 04:27 PM

What is with people these days?????

One of my teamates got a phone call this afternoon from her husband. It seams her son, while delivering a load of a flowers (he drives a truck for a large greenhouse company.....Christmas flowers and the like...) to a florist in Gary, IN was robbed at gunpoint and SHOT!!!! He carries no cash, no checks, nothing except shippers and reciepts. Not much personal cash either. I've met this person (he's my age) and he is a VERY nice guy. I don't think he would have argued with anyone holding a gun to him.

Shot in the hip....shattered his pelvic bone on the right side. Stable condition but walking again is questionable at this point. He faces MANY surgureys. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayer.

What is going on these days!!!!???

Thanks,

Mike

Allan4 12-19-2002 04:36 PM

That's aweful......I just cannot comprehend senseless acts of violence like this. What a shame, the shooter ought to have his pelvis shattered with a sledge hammer, see how it feels.....Good luck to this guy, I feel for him......:( :( :hothead: :hothead:

RSCHAP1 12-19-2002 05:35 PM

Pass along my sympathies ...Hate to hear of such stuff. Like you said "what's wrong with people now?"

HyperBaja 12-19-2002 05:58 PM

Stupid people. Lets hope he get what he deserves. Charma (sp) I think.

Intolerant1 12-19-2002 06:53 PM

My buddies dad was a truck driver and was hijacked in Gary. They took his rig, 18 wheeler tanker full of propane, and locked him in an abondoned building where they beat him for several days. He finally escaped. This is one tough SOB but he decided to retire after that. He was the wrong color in the wrong nieghborhood. Not being racist, thats what his captures told him.

Steve 1 12-19-2002 07:02 PM

Need a lot more Troutly”s the Country is full of animals.

Payton 12-19-2002 07:10 PM

Mike, I'm very sorry and mad to hear this. And it happened in the arm pit of our fine state. I persona;y thing we need more cops and more people with guns, that know how to use them. We can be thankful this bad guy was a bad shot. Too bad your buddy wasn't armed and a good shot.

He will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Scooter 12-19-2002 07:15 PM

Sorry to hear about that mike send me and the wifes blessings

Allan4 12-19-2002 07:30 PM

Originally posted by Intolerant1
My buddies dad was a truck driver and was hijacked in Gary. They took his rig, 18 wheeler tanker full of propane, and locked him in an abondoned building where they beat him for several days. He finally escaped. This is one tough SOB but he decided to retire after that. He was the wrong color in the wrong nieghborhood. Not being racist, thats what his captures told him.
Usually truckers carry guns. I would if I were driving over the road. I do some driving but it is only day trips. If I were out and about all over, I'd carry, no question about it. A .45 would have stopped that 3 day beating before it started. By the way, how is the back??

traviss 12-19-2002 08:07 PM

over here were always packin heat :D

THEJOKER 12-19-2002 09:27 PM

morons

Most of those morons that pollute our society are on crack. One thing I cannot deal with is a crack head. 9mm always in the car - BH

Tonto 12-19-2002 10:49 PM

Mike, I agree, that's TERRRIBLE :mad: I agree with all that has said that we need to extinguish more of these a$$holes so we can tow our boats through places and not have to worry. BTW, I did tow through Gary this past summer at night, didn't know i wasn't suppose to. I hope the lad makes a FULL recovery.

Robert

Steve 1 12-19-2002 10:53 PM

srobak Thank's nice site!

eliminator219 12-19-2002 11:29 PM

Be careful!!

Mike,
Im sorry to hear about your friends problem here in my back yard. I own a trucking company and my units operate thru Gary everyday. I have both white and black drivers, They keep on the truck routes, when in town, and as you can expect always keep an eye out for problems..
I pull my boat thru town at different times, but once again there are areas that you have to be very careful, its a shame that for such a big city, you have to stay on the lit streets and keep your window up and dont talk to anyone.. But Detroit,chicago,Indlps and other major cities have the same problems and same areas..
Once again Im sorry that it happen and our best hopes on recovery go with him..

eliminator219

Quiet Storm 12-19-2002 11:59 PM

I wish your friend the best of luck and the piece or crap that shot him the worst. Its too bad that life has such little meaning to so many.

RCM255 12-20-2002 07:29 AM

good luck to the guy. it sucks that this happend during the holiday season

CigDaze 12-20-2002 09:41 AM

That's terrible, I wish the best in his recovery.

Sad that things like this must happen....It's absolutely senseless. :mad:

WETTE VETTE 12-20-2002 11:00 AM

Hmm.., I wonder why the Miss USA Pagent decided to pull out of Gary? I frequent Gary on sales calls and E219 is correct. You really need to watch what you do in that town. It was dubbed the murder capitol in the nation!!! I think it is still in the top 5, if not #1. I wish the best for your friend and a speedy recovery!!

Waterfoul 12-20-2002 10:13 PM

A bit of an update......turns out the x-rays shed some positive light on his injuries. The bullit hit his femur and was deflected upwards till it hit the pelvic bone. Did not damage the pelvic bone to badly. Broke the femur though....will require surgery and much physical therapy.

It turns out he panicked and ran away. Was shot while running away. Shot in the back if you will. And as far as I know, the perp has not been caught. This guy is a day driver. Never an overnight trip. And according to his mother, a careful person.

Intolerant1 12-20-2002 10:21 PM

Thats good news Foul. Best of luck to him.

R Addiction 12-21-2002 01:48 AM

The crap that goes on anymore!!!:mad:

FunHome 12-21-2002 12:10 PM

Sorry to hear about this!! Good thing it didn't hit his Femoral Artery, he could have bled to death real quick!!

Here in Kansas we don't have "Carry Permits" but there are ways around it.

I have a gun in my truck all the time, and if we go somewhere in my wife's car I usually bring it along. Heck, I usually bring it along on all trips. (Don't I Chris!!!!)

HyperBaja 12-21-2002 02:45 PM

Originally posted by 105mph_38_2003
I take my .45 everywhere I go but in TX we have concealed carry laws so its legal....We need to exterminate these people one by one. A friend of mine blasted one of these punks a few months ago in an attempted car jacking...My friend had a hammerless .357 in his right hand coat pocket and when he exited the car he shot 3 rounds into the attacker. The other 2 guys were in a truck they jacked earlier and led police on a chase that was on TV...These kids were 15,16 and 17 years old!!!
I see some stuff like that in HS. someone stealing a nice stereo, next thing they know, the thiefs car is resting on the running boards. the person they stole the stereo from, loosen their lug nuts and pushed the car back and forth, and the tires fall off, and they take the rims and tires and leave the car.

Gearhead99 12-21-2002 02:58 PM

How horrible. I agree with packing a .45. I carry one in truck ALL the time. My friend, "Sam Colt". When we take wifes car on ANY trip "Sam" comes along.

Wife asks, Why, sometimes?? But, now she just accepts it there for our protection. She also knows that I can "Hit" what I am at.

Give me the stopping power of a .45 anyday vs the "spray and pray" of a 9mm.

ZT-Rick 12-21-2002 04:15 PM

Going back to 1984, I was a Junior in High school working at our local K-mart..I had a Jeep CJ-7 at the time, a beater, but it was mine, took pride in it. One of my co-workers came running in from the parking lot yelling to call the police, someone was breaking into Ricks Jeep.. so the chase began, I chased this kid for three blocks, we ended up running into a restaurant, through the dining rooms, into the bathrooms, I caught him and was ready to just "drive" him, then i stopped, realizing this kid was 10 if he was lucky. The police came, said it was a shame, but he was working for his parents, taught to steal by his parents at a young age, unbelievable! Today, almost 20 years later, that kid probably would be carrying a gun.. the police, even at that time told me that chasing this kid was a dumb thing to do! It seems you can't have anything nice these days without somebody wanting to take it from you rather than earn it/work for it themselves!