Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Live Radio 6:15am 12-20-02 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39294-live-radio-6-15am-12-20-02-a.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-19-2002 06:22 PM

Live Radio 6:15am 12-20-02

From NJPPC:

Subject: We did it!! Tomorrow Dec. 20th 6:15am FM101.5 With Jim Gearhart!!!

YES! We received the call this morning from the Jim Gearhart show. Dave
Patnaude will be on @ 6:15am to plead our case for NO SPEED LIMITS ON
INLAND TIDAL WATERWAYS!!!

Call in to the show and voice your support! The station phone number is
1-800-283-1015.

This is a huge opportunity for us to plead our case and muster support
for people to come to the January 8th Meeting of the Rec. Boating
Safety Commission!

PLEASE CALL IN!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR EMAILS TO NJ 101.5!!!

tripps 12-19-2002 07:09 PM

Hey sharkey,ill call in 4 u guys and i dont even live in nj but we could be next :eek: :eek: :eek: IT WOULD HURT THE INDUSTRY BIG TIME,just think,hey you guys at MRD,could you take out my 1100s and put in 4 cyl IRON PUKES!!! just think of the rippling effect ,it would go all the way from the mechanics of those fine machines to the foundries that make blocks,manifolds, pistons etc etc Its bad enough that we have imported things here now,but thats another issue see ya and good luck keep it fast

tripps

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-20-2002 05:24 AM

Thanks Tripps!!! You never know when you may want to boat for a weekend down here. This speed limit would only make sure you wouldn't even consider it.....:(

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-20-2002 06:20 AM

LIVE NOW!!! Call in!!!!

1-800-283-1015

AugiePensa 12-20-2002 06:37 AM

Sharkry,I tried 2x's ,It just keeps ringing!

AugiePensa 12-20-2002 06:48 AM

Just got thru and they told me they are not talking about it anymore....SORRY.

BODYSHOT1 12-20-2002 08:00 AM

how'd it go??

DaveP 12-20-2002 08:20 AM

Morning!

I called in @ 600am and they said they wanted to move it to 720am which would be more prime time. GREAT!

At 720am I went on and they gave me a whole 2 1/2 mins to talk about while also receiving some arrogant questions from Jim Gearhart. I got the impression that they just did this because of the number of emails they received. Not because of any interest on their part as a story.

Overall - we got most of our message out there as well as the time, date and location of the Jan. 8th meeting. It's a real shame they would not take any call-ins. WOBM was much more gracious but that was also Sunday morning radio.

Bottom line - we got the message out and the tree huggers did not. :D :D

AugiePensa 12-20-2002 08:25 AM

AHHHHHH,thats why I couldn't get thru.

DaveP 12-20-2002 08:43 AM

This is what I wanted to discuss on the radio show today:

Why is a speed limit on inland tidal waterways ridiculous?

1.Not All Boats are equipped with speedometers
2.Those that are – 75% of them are inaccurate or do not work
3.Radar Guns do not work effectively on fiberglass boats
4.Statistics show that over the last 10 years boating registrations have increased in NJ and accidents have declined.
5.If the speed limit was in place this past summer – not one life would have been saved because of it
6.NJ State Police stated that it would be virtually impossible to enforce with their already limited man power
7.We have met with state assemblymen (not mentioning names) and even they agree that it would be impossible to enforce.

What our opponents say?
Willie De Camp of Save Barnegat Bay – He had stated that he doesn’t like statistics. That is because the statistics show the opposite of what he says. He also says it doesn’t take an idiot to know that a boat going fast on Barnegat Bay puts others in Jeopardy. I say that anyone who makes a blanket statement like that without looking at the facts is an idiot. National statistics show that the smallest percentage of accidents occur in excess of 40mph on the water. The majority of all accidents occur under 40mph. Willie De Camp also has said that speed limits is a good place to start and that mandatory education and licensing would take almost 5 years to enact. I believe that Jet Ski’s had mandatory education enacted within 18 months. AGAIN! Willie De Camp is afraid of the facts!
Willie De Camp also says that Maryland has speed limits and 100% conviction rate of violators! Willie De Camp OMITS the FACTS that Maryland has speed limits only in very shallow narrow areas similar to the size of the Pt. Pleasant Canal. The NJ State Police also have 100% conviction rate for people who break the “no wake zone” in the canal.

Roger Brown of the NJ State Boat Regulation Commission - has stated that this proposed speed limit is in response to people who have called or contacted him regarding noise and speed on the rivers. Little do the complainers know – but there was a law passed in 1987 regarding boat noise with the help of Willie De Camp. The law has not been enforced in over 10 years! The NJ State Police Marine Bureau are not even certified to use the equipment anymore!

Larry Babbio, Verizon Vice Chairman and President - he spent millions building his new mansion in Brick and says he doesn’t like noise. He should have chosen to move to “On Golden Pond” if he wanted peace and quiet. The Jersey shore is a beautiful area, but it is far from quiet during the summer. You don’t move next to a garbage dump one day and then call up the town the next day and say “it stinks around here”

Assemblyman Robert J. Smith, II – Head of the legislative task force for safer boating - said that capsizing his boat and being rescued by the Coast Guard was a very terrifying experience. I would venture to say that if he had a better understanding on how to handle a boat in rough seas he might not have wound up in the situation he did. The bottom line is that the captain is responsible for the safety of his vessel and crew.

Why will Mandatory Education and Licensing Work?
1.85% of all boating accidents that occur nationally happen with owners that have had ZERO formal education on how to operate a boat
2.The “crazy boaters” that are on the water are crazy because they are ignorant to “the rules of the road” and do not understand who has the right of way.
3.In NJ you need a license to operate every kind of motor vehicle (car, motorcycle, plane, scooter, helicopter and a tractor trailer) except a powerboat! Start with educating and licensing.
4.Licensing would enable the state to penalize someone’s car license for the people who are “repeat offenders” of boating recklessly. Right now – boaters just get continual slaps on the wrist.

We should also look to have better communication between powerboat and sailing clubs so all organizations can be aware of each other’s special events. This will also help eliminate congestion.

What can people do to fight this!

1.Attend the next NJ State Boat Regulation Commission meeting! The meeting will be at New Jersey State Police Headquarters West Trenton, NJ Wednesday, January 8, 10 AM (609) 882-2000
2.Write letters & call your state assemblymen!!!!
3.Write to:
Roger Brown, Chairman
New Jersey Boat Regulation Commission
c/o New Jersey State Police, Marine Services Unit
P. O. Box 7068
West Trenton, New Jersey 08628-0068

4******rm your fellow boaters of the pending legislation!!!
5.Go to our website for constant updates: www.njppc.com