Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Feedback from Jersey Boyz Meeting (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39577-feedback-jersey-boyz-meeting.html)

AugiePensa 12-24-2002 02:35 PM

Feedback from Jersey Boyz Meeting

Come on people,we're looking for some feedback positive or negitive about The Jersey Boyz/OPA meeting last Saturday 12/21/02.........Thanks and Happy Holidays,Augie

Fast Shafts 12-25-2002 12:22 AM

Augie,

The only negative thing I would have to say is the logo with the guns and bats has to go,-unless your going to approach Smith&Wesson or Louisville Slugger for sponsorship money. I think this is sending the wrong message that this sport is associated with "thugs". It took Offshore Racing years to loose the 70's and 80's "Drug Smuggling" image. It would be ashame to loose any "momentum" or sponsorship because of this negative image.
Several times you mentioned that this is a "family sport", I agree, however we also need to take a lesson from APBA and not allow boats or tow vehicles to display vulgarities or naked ladies. I think it could be a hard sell to a sponsor when they see images of naked ladies, bats and guns. I dont consider this to be "family oriented".
The Jersey Boyz have created alot of excitment and anticipation for the coming race season and I think we need strive to have some class. This can only benefit us as a group! Lets be the Race Club that sets the standards. Lets be known not only for our races, but the way we interact with each other, our sponsors, the community, and most importantly, our fans.
Respectfully Submitted,
BOB G.;)

Shanghied Again 12-25-2002 09:25 AM

Augie the only problem I have is the date of the first race June 1st I am upset with! I Couldn't make the meeting due to work. Why should the NJPPC folks suffer and the Medics suffer, We set the date the year before with Trumps and we were running that event for the last 4 years on the 1st week of June. Last year was an oops according to OPA, I cant believe the Mayor couldn't be persuated for another date, Politics reacts to what people want, Summerfest doesn't start until the 21st of June what was wrong with May like it was for years or mid June. If everyone says they want to work together then we should try. I love NJ racing to! And want to attend all the NJ Events, This year you will loose a lot of volunteers because last year everyone scrambled to get back on Sunday, This year I doubt people are going to do it and miss the rest of the event. Also this year will be the best AC Poker Run ever, We did a lot of work on the run this year, with some surprises (To be Annonced)
Lets see if we can work together
Remember Jan 8th is the day we must stand strong together and put this speed law behind us!

snglestack 12-25-2002 06:37 PM

augie no volunters no medics no race take that to the bank:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

BRUCE SEROFF 12-26-2002 06:57 PM

Frank...

I understand your frustration with the scheduling. As you can see, the schedules are very tite and there is racing almost every weekend. I'm sure it was not done deliberately to upset the NJPPC members. But we dont want to overlap any races on any particular weekend. Hopefully, we will get it worked out and everybody will be happy.

Regards

Snglestack...

The problem that I see here is two fold. 1- Your just here to ruffle feathers and you have nothing positive to say.

2- Your not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Now... if you don't have any positive input, get lost in another chat room.

Panther 12-26-2002 07:27 PM

Man,

Why is everyone so quick to point out the negatives?

I think what you guys are doing is excellent. I couldn't make the meeting last week, but I wish I could have. Keep it up man!!

Hey why is the first race date so bad? I think it would be kinda cool if the Poker Run should be worked into the race somehow. What better than to make a sweet run with some friends, then watch a race, pick up your cards and head back. I think it would be an adrenaline rush.

Ron P 12-26-2002 10:32 PM

The poker run goes to A/C on Saturday. The race is on Sunday.

Last year we even held off the start of the race until about 1pm so the Poker Runners could make it back from A/C in time for the race. Guess what, no one came other than Pete Mazzo and his pace boat. Pete was in Point Pleasant by 1pm.

You would think a good way to end an overnight poker run would be to end up as a sweep boat at a race. I dunno??? Guess not.

AugiePensa 12-27-2002 06:45 AM

Panther....Thanks.I agree with you it would be great to end the Poker Run with the race.Eddie Smith and I have a meeting after the Holidays with Dave P. of NJPPC and we'll see what can be done. I am a member of NJPPC and race and would really enjoy doing the Poker Run as well as race that weekend,stayed tuned.Regards Augie

Panther 12-27-2002 09:06 AM

The poker run should end at Manasquan Inlet if possible. It may be good exposure for the NJPPC with everyone waiting at the inlet for the start of the race. Hell, I will be traveling by boat from Sandy Hook, to AC, then back for the Race, and then back home if everything works out.

Panther 12-27-2002 09:07 AM

I guess those super fast 1000 HP boats can't run that far!?!? Sorry guys, had to bust on ya there!

AugiePensa 12-27-2002 01:27 PM

Panther,hope you can make it! Give Eddie a call with your thoughts (732)920-3945 Smittys Marina,Thanks....Augie

Panther 12-27-2002 01:39 PM

Augie, I thought Dave P was always running these NJPPC events? Is Eddie running the NJPPC now?

Frank

Smittymarine 12-27-2002 02:18 PM

Hold the presses. NO DONT EVEN GO THERE!! Dave P and company are the NJPPC. I am just a boat racer, Looking for more boats. NJPPC is a great club, If something can be put together, I'm sure they'll look at it. Ed

Panther 12-27-2002 02:24 PM

Not trying to cause a commosion, just asking a question?

I think it would be great if we could somehow combine the two events. If they were both combined it would make it much more attractive for me to enter in the AC poker run. If not, I may just come to the race.

AugiePensa 12-27-2002 02:32 PM

Panther,DaveP runs NJPPC along with a board of directors,Eddie,Tony and I are on the board of OPA along with KURT who is Pres. I suggested you contact Eddie with your thoughts as we will be meeting with Dave P. of The NJPPC after the holidays. Eddie and I are just UNCOLA nuts trying to have fun racing with the Jersey crew and anyone else who wants to join us and The Jersey Boyz.

Panther 12-27-2002 02:35 PM

Augie, Thanks for giving me the scoop.

Ed, no pun intended.

Panther

AugiePensa 12-28-2002 12:00 PM

Panther....No problem,we will keep you updated on how the meetings go and what if anything can be done......A great bunch of people from The NJPPC and OPA will be working togeather to try an make this work for everyone......lets face it, it's all about fun!

Reindl Powerboats 12-28-2002 03:19 PM

Originally posted by A.Pensa
Panther....Thanks.I agree with you it would be great to end the Poker Run with the race.
AGREED

RLW 12-28-2002 03:33 PM

Check out my plug for you guys on the Key West thread.
Keep up the good work!

AugiePensa 12-29-2002 07:12 AM

Chris Thank you and keep Eddie and I updated on your Ohio race and RLW I've see it and Thank You. Regards Augie

SHARKEY-IMAGES 01-03-2003 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was pleased with the meeting. Always like to see an OPEN Forum and the ideas that come from it implemented by a BOARD.
Great meeting, great people, and great food!;)

Just so others get a better understanding of the A.C. Poker Run.
It is a 2 day event. Saturday & Sunday. The NJPPC has the run on Saturday following with a great party out on "THE DECK" of Trumps Marina. It doesn't stop there. Sunday morning, everyone joins together for an awesome breakfast party in Trump's Ballroom. Afterthat, many will meet down at the docks and set a game plan for either running inside or out and parade back to the Waters Edge or their respective home ports. It's truely a great event that shouldn't be rushed through.

I hope to attend all the races in NJ this year, but if one falls on the A.C. Poker Run, I am already committed to be there.

With best wishes for the best season ever. Race&Poker!!!!:) :) :)

BODYSHOT1 01-03-2003 09:27 AM

Thanks Shark!!

c-you in AC :cool:

Marty

SHARKEY-IMAGES 01-03-2003 10:38 AM

They are just recovering from New Years Eve celebrations....:crazy:

Hopefully they will be back in full swing by Monday...:D :D :D

So Snglsnack, What are you asking for your boat??? Would you like me to put it on my "Classifieds" page? :confused:

Link to CLASSIFIEDS

AugiePensa 01-03-2003 01:12 PM

Guys,"IF" we had ALL the answers we wouldn't have called a meeting,asked for your thoughts and Kurt would not have gone into his own pocket to pay for the afternoon.....Snglestack come to Smittys Marina after 1:00 PM Saturday 1/4/03 for lunch with us(He's getting old so we try not to let him work all day on Saturday's) and we'll go over anything thats in your head or call me, if I can I'll try to answer your Questions or a least guide you in the right direction. I/We don't have all the answers and never said we did,thats why WE asked for some input from Everyone. The # is 201-863-3560..Thanks Augie

T2x 01-03-2003 02:03 PM

Singlestack:

Nothing is perfect and no group is without some internal friction, but sometimes you simply play the odds. The odds here are simple:

1. You have a great group of people in the Jersey Boyz....not perfect nor should anyone expect them to be.

2. You have an enthusiastic desire to do something positive for the sport and the local participants.........no perfection implied or needed.

3. They are open and honest about who they are and aren't afraid to make statements in person face to face. An admirable (but not perfect)quality requiring the courage to stand for something.

4. They provide great food....not perfect....just great.

5. It provides a bridge between the APBA and SBI racers in the area.......not a perfect bridge of course.....but the only really useable one in a LONG time. Not only that....... with a little luck the same bridge may reach the Poker Runners as well.

All in all what's the harm in this effort? You can join it, watch it or ignore it. Why throw rocks at it????

By the way........."Single stack Mack with a window in the back" mean anything to ya?

T2x

AugiePensa 01-03-2003 04:48 PM

TX2, Thank You...couldn't have said it better!

snglestack 01-03-2003 04:52 PM

augie thanks for the invite but i will be at n,y. boat show sat.and sun. and then to marco island for a week call you when i get back to meet you t2x clueless as to your question :drool: :drool: :drool:

T2x 01-03-2003 04:56 PM

We'll see.............

T2x

AugiePensa 01-04-2003 06:37 AM

Snglestack,look up my DAD when you get to Marco Island....He's been on the Island for 38 years,his name is Jack Pensa. If ya fish or golf let me know I'll have him set something up while your there. Augie

pantera38 01-04-2003 10:18 AM

Is Smittys marine actually at 799 Rt 70? and is it easy to find from the highway? I'd like to stop by and meet you guys.
Lou

AugiePensa 01-04-2003 11:14 AM

Lou,yes it is,when you see The Pilot House Restaurant make right into driveway,bear right AROUND the Restaurant to the end and Smitty's Bldg. is on the right......you'll see The WAZZUP banner on the top of the building.

shawn 01-04-2003 12:02 PM

Hey guys,
who would I speak with to find out what class a particular boat would run?

Thanks
Shawn

BODYSHOT1 01-07-2003 09:45 AM

shawn,

check with Ed Smith @ [email protected] or Kurt Berger @ [email protected]

:cool: