Notices

New Stereo Advice Request

Old 12-27-2002, 07:33 AM
MikeBaja232

Default New Stereo Advice Request

I'm giving myself a new stereo for the boat for Christmas; but, I need some advice on what to buy. Unfortunately, this gift has a limited amount.

I have a 1997 Baja 232 Islander and want to replace the head unit, add a power amp and probably a sub. I'm going to stay with my current speakers at the moment, but will likely upgrade later in the year - 2003 that is.

I like the Poly Planar MRP-60, but I'm having trouble justifing $400 for the head unit only. Marine rated head units are few; are they really necessary? Any suggestions for a head unit (AM/FM/CD) in the $300 range? Amp amp and sub suggestions please?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 12-27-2002, 07:43 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at the clarion. I think it was one of the boat places (not Boat US) but maybe West or another that had them BELOW dealer cost!!!! Otherwise any of the clarion single din units will fit the bill. Another option is to get a cover and then you can use about any head unit you want to. Clarion also makes a fully waterproof head unit that you can actually dump water on and it is fine but that will get ya back up to the 400 buck range. All the clarion remotes have the remote jack so you can put in a guage size remote in the dash, or even on the transom of the boat. If you go with the cover then you can go with say a sony and still be able to do the remote.

For the amp get a QUALITY 5 channel and you will be fine. I use the Rockford the most to fit this bill. It has good power, does not use TONS of battery to run and is reasonabley prices for what you get. I am sure there are other options for you in your area. Stay away from amps made by Sony, Clarion, Kenwood, and the alike.

Hope all that helps

Jon
Old 12-27-2002, 07:49 AM
MikeBaja232

Thanks for the advice Jon. I already have a cover in the dash for the head unit; so you don't think I have to go with a marine unit as long as I keep it protected from water spashed in? What about moisture in the boat in general?

I like the Clarions; however, most of there offerings are the larger chassis and I really don't want to cut a larger hole in my dash.

If I have 100 W speakers (x 4), do I need a 400 W amp, plus the sub? I know you are in the business, what do you have to offer?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-27-2002, 07:55 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The moisture in a boat is not as bad as you would think. Clarion does make a single din (the size you have) CD head unit. I can not think of the model number at this time, HOWEVER if you go to their web site I am sure you will find them.

As far as the speakers go for amplifiers. What speakers do you have in there now? They may say 100 watts but that is probably MAX not RMS power. Ussually 25 REAL watts per speaker is good enough for most people. 200 or so to the subs

Jon
Old 12-27-2002, 08:11 AM
GRH

If I might ask a "stupid" question here.... I was looking at new stereos also.... I was wondering if anyone had any input on the new satallite XM ready radio's? Sounds like a great idea for a boat...

Old 12-27-2002, 08:12 AM
MikeBaja232

The Clarion Model is M5675-RET rated at 4x45 watts. Given that, why do I still need an amp?

The speakers are the factory Clarion CM262 coax; rated a 100W, 4 omhs impedance.

Mike

Old 12-27-2002, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother just got the XM radio and it is cool. You can move it from car to boat to house if you want. Hey Mike. I have a Clarion Head unit with remote and 45x4 that I cannot use now and a stealth box by JL with two 10" subs. It is for under the back seat of an extended cab truck so it is low profile, injection molded and covered with tan carpet. I also cannot use this. Both are in excellent condition. PM me if interested.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Clarion x series marine head unit ,that looks "big" actually takes a smaller hole, you can get a retro fit adapter from Clarion, you won't regret this head unit which can be found on ebay for about 185, as for the amp, the head unit does not put out that power rms, thats peak power it probably puts out 12-15 watts rms, and with the right amp you can block out the low freq. to the mids through the built in x-over, for example Phoenix Gold, an amp will be a 100% improvement, if the right one is purchased, I would recomend 1- 2 channel amp, and run your 4 speakers in 2 ohm stereo, and 1- 1 channel mono amp for the sub, for example a rockford 700s 2 channel and a rockford bd1000.1 1 channel, and upgrade your speakers later, remember, you can buy all this stuff on ebay for about half of retail, and no tax, Jason
Old 12-27-2002, 10:47 AM
CIGAR

what about kicker amps and subs

Old 12-27-2002, 11:11 AM
Registered

Think of it this way. Look at the size of the head unit that claims to put out 45x4 watts. Take a look at the same amp that claims to put out 45x4 RMS, why is the amp 3 timeslarger than the stereo that also has to play cd's, tuner and all the other functions. That rating on the stereo is when it is actually struck by lightning. Take a quality amp with less wattage than the head unit claims and you will get twice the sound. Don't skimp on the amp more wattage is better than not enough. Too little will often blow speakers before too much will. Distortion, especially on a boat is the killer! I have kicker subs on my boat and get many compliments. Good luck!

Quick Reply: New Stereo Advice Request

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.