Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help.....authenticity of a Rolex?? >

Help.....authenticity of a Rolex??

Notices

Help.....authenticity of a Rolex??

Old 12-27-2002, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.....authenticity of a Rolex??

How does one determine the authenticity of a pre owned submariner? A buddy and I are looking to buy one each and have located them but how do you determine they are genuine?

I have read the posts on here about the original fakes and they look pretty damn genuine. This is a big purchase and we wantto make sure we don't get burned.

Also, are the 2 tone models gold wrapped or solid 18k?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2002, 01:48 PM
AttitudeAdjusta

Take them to a qualified jewler who can tell you if they are real or fake. Or buy new from a Rolex dealer.

Old 12-27-2002, 01:53 PM
Registered

Say you take them to a qualified jeweler and they have an issue...will they keep the watch? The guy I am buying them from is a personal friend and jeweler. My issue is not with him but with the people he buys them from. He generally buy them from other jewelers who pick them up at estate sales and such. Lets say he is passed a bad apple...how can I catch it? If I bring it to another jeweler as he suggests and it turns out he is getting burned, will they keep this watch? Obviously he wouldn't expect me to buy it but I would have to return it.

I ask these questions as I have a buddy that got burned in S. Florida.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:06 PM
enigma

A friend of mine told me that on a real Rolex the second hand sweeps smooothly,a fake one has the second hand that has a slight jerk while moving like a normal watch.

Old 12-27-2002, 02:19 PM
AttitudeAdjusta

They can tell you it's a fake but I can't see why they they would not return it to you.

Old 12-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Registered

Take it to a jeweler that is familiar with rolex watches. He will have a special tool that is needed to remove the back so he can check the authenticity of the movement inside. He shold also be able to peg the year for you. Some of the fakes are very good and reproduce the fast tick of the real thing, so dont go by that. Having the boxes and tags is also a good sign, heck, ive had jewelers that deal in used rolexs offer my $100 for each of my boxes. The 18k on real rolex watches is solid. I dont think youll have an issue with the jeweler keeping the watch. It isnt his, its not stolen, no reason for him to keep it. Good luck with your hopefully authentic sub purchase.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:00 PM
Registered

A good friend of mine is a jeweler. He has purchased good replicas for some of his customers to knock around in. The replicas that he gets seem so authentic you can only determine by opening them up.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:11 PM
Registered

Originally posted by pwrbotr
Say you take them to a qualified jeweler and they have an issue...will they keep the watch?
If it's hot they'll probably keep it just long enough for men in Blue to arrive...
Old 12-27-2002, 03:20 PM
Registered

when the men in blue arrive, i will sing loud and clear!
Old 12-27-2002, 04:21 PM
Luxy60

All newer watches come with a green sticker on the back of the case with the Rolex emblem and a model number. I've worn mine every day for the last 4 years and the sticker is still there. The movement is not a totally smooth sweep, there is a perceptable dwell but it's very subtle. The mechical movement and case are very heavy and usually there is a big difference between the weight of a knockoff (quartz movement) and the real thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.