Notices

Boat Lifts

Old 12-24-2002, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Lifts

I'm looking at getting a lift for the shore house this summer. I don't know too much about them. I got a quote for a 12k lbs. cantalever for approx. $10,500 installed. I was also offered an identical used unit for $7500 installed. How do these #'s sound?
Old 12-24-2002, 07:16 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Sounds normal to me. Most lifts seem to run about $1 per pound of capacity for good quality.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:56 PM
Registered

Default lift

I built my own and have just a shade over $500.00 in it, trying to find a pic of it to post, hang loose, don't waste your money on a store bought one, any competent welder can make you one.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:11 PM
Registered

I was in the boat lift business for about 10 years and put in hundreds of lifts, sold the biz two years ago. The only way to go is Hi-Tide aluminum lifts. The best service bar none, at least from the factory. People have been begging me to get back into the business but I just don't have the time. If you're in the Navesink or Shrewsbury River areas you can get piles installed without a permit. If you're down south you'll need the permit. 4 post lifts are the best, the Hi-tide 4 post lifts have a 10 year warranty. If you want an elevator type, again Hi-Tide makes an all aluminum lift with a 5 year warranty. No rust so they always look good. You can come look at my aluminum lift, it's almost 8 years old and there are a few aluminum elevators that I installed in the Brick area. I can let you know where they are if you want to see them. Email me if you need a dealer, there are some good ones and some you should stay away from. What ever you do stay away from steel lifts!!!

If you go with the elevator type, cantalever, you MUST install a full disconnect switch. This includes all condutors including the ground. It is the only way the lift will last in salt water. You should also hang a few zincs off the lift. That will help, but without a complete disconnect you're screwed. My first lift lasted 3 years without the diconnect switch, well my neighbor with crappy electric service to his dock didn't help. That is now corrected.

In addition to my 4 post lift I have two elevator style lifts in my back yard. On one lift I used a 4 conductor twist lock plug, on the other I used a switch. I guess I should mention to wire the lift 220v. I required that for every lift I installed and have never had a motor failure. Again email me for detail on wire size. I haven't found an electrician in the area that sizes it right and figures in for voltage drop running the two motors.

Finally, get the remote with the lift. It's worth the extra bucks to have it. In 10 years I only sold one lift without a remote. I have the remotes on all my lifts inlcuding my little 1500lb lift with my 14' aluminum boat on it. Also, you should get the cat walk so you can wash the side of the boat that is away from the bulk head. Most manufacturers have them.

As far as the 12,000# lift, go with a 16000 so you can put just about any performance boat you want on it. Used lifts are very hard to sell and have almost no value, the only exception have been lifts that I have installed in marinas where people sell the lift with the slip.

I still have an old price sheet here, a 10,000# aluminum elevator is $6400 retail, a 14,000# is $8400. Remotes are about $500 and you can figure another $500 for the catwalk. Shipping usually runs $400 and installation should be another $1200. Remember this is a 3 year old sheet and I'm sure prices have gone up.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:18 PM
Registered

Default cradle lift

Don't know how much your boat weighs but, under 3500 pds, use 4" channel and 5/16 steel or stainless steel cable

Over 3500 pds use 6" channel and 5/16 stainless cable and compound the cables

Just make a rectangle frame outta the channel the length of the boat, with cross members for strength

Hang pulleys over head, two, one on each side, for every 10 foot of boat, directly above the outter frame

Hang a pipe down the center line of the dock over head, utilizing an ACE motor and plate, they come with directions

try to look at my pics and see how I did mine, if you want to try to tackle this yourself, I'll make a detailed scetch and mail it to you.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Lifts-079.jpg  
Old 12-24-2002, 08:19 PM
Registered

Default zzz

zzzz
Attached Thumbnails Boat Lifts-080.jpg  
Old 12-24-2002, 08:20 PM
Registered

Default zzz

zzz
Attached Thumbnails Boat Lifts-156.jpg  
Old 12-24-2002, 08:23 PM
Registered

Default aaa

aaa
Attached Thumbnails Boat Lifts-081.jpg  
Old 12-24-2002, 08:24 PM
Registered

Default www

Attached Thumbnails Boat Lifts-082.jpg  
Old 12-24-2002, 08:24 PM
Registered

Default 222

Attached Thumbnails Boat Lifts-083.jpg  

Quick Reply: Boat Lifts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.