Notices

Key West Races

Old 12-28-2002, 09:44 AM
Kirk

Default Key West Races

Anyone watching the races on speedvision right now?
Just wondering how they were?

Old 12-28-2002, 10:59 AM
BJM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sport will go no where with coverage like that. BORING! Just my .02
Old 12-28-2002, 02:38 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Factory Racers virtually received no exposure in two televised shows. These are the biggest classes when it comes to racer turnout, along with Supercat.
This sport needs a serious revamping in order for the casual spectator to have any idea as to what class is what and who's running against who.
17 Classes does NOT make for growth.

The Jersey Boyz have the right idea with running a "P Class Format" and if Captain Carbonell embraces that style of racing, he and the Jersey Boyz will walk past APBA based purely on simplicity.
Does anyone realize that if there are 5 or 6 classes of racing that you could run a two day format on any given weekend. The racer would have twice as many chances to take the overall. Just like the Worlds format but at every race. Plus the racer has more seat time and better value for his money as he /she has probably traveled a couple hundred miles just to race and to only get ONE shot at the win.
I was disappointed as to what APBA Television thought was the interesting topics. It is a sad day for televised Offshore Racing.
Jersey Boyz, YOU are on the right track.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:59 PM
snglestack

it would also cost twice as much helicopters insurance etc. where does that money come from/???????????????

Old 12-28-2002, 03:59 PM
WATERBOY2

I agree with less classes being better; but the bracket racing P-Class system should be for amateur divisional racing only.Remember, NHRA has alot of classes, but only Top Fuel,Funny Car and Pro Stock get TV time.As far as APBA, they are on to something with spec classes; the actual level of competition is better than its ever been in the sport.The TV coverage is another story.

Old 12-28-2002, 04:17 PM
TulsaLarry

All of you guys knocking the APBA coverage should try to remember what the coverage was like before this year. I believe that APBA has made tremendous advances this year by giving the fan an education into the sport, covering all classes, interviews with the racers and the actual coverage of the races is better. The last couple of years people kept complaining that the P classes didn't get enough TV time and the factory classes weren't covered enough, well with most races getting two hours of TV time I think that most of the problems have been addressed. Is there room for improvement? Sure, but that will come with time.

My congratulations to APBA and all the racers for a great year.

Old 12-28-2002, 04:34 PM
wayne

There needs to be more RACING coverage, not just showing a boat and telling who is in it and that it has mercury motors ..

Old 12-28-2002, 04:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TulsaLarry

My congratulations to APBA and all the racers for a great year.
AGREED 100%
Old 12-28-2002, 05:14 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on Tulsa, Typhoon wins the World Championship and nothing is mentioned. High Energy gets tossed from their boat and no footage.
Yeah, the coverage is better, if your a sponsor.
Let's get some colorful team interviews. Do you remember Lance Henrichsen getting interviewed in previous years?
Yeah, I want to watch two PX boats battle it out.
And let me correct myself, there was 18 classes in Key west, not 17. Eight of those classes had 4 or less teams participating and this was a World Championship event.
Less classes=more teams per class=more exposure per class. Now we're talking coverage.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:28 PM
TulsaLarry

RLW:

To each his own, I have enjoyed the coverage this year. I will agree there are too many classes and would hope that APBA is working on a solution for this problem. It dosen't bother me to have five or six P classes because it allows more people to be able to race, the problem I see is in the factory classes. Since canopies have been allowed the classes have increased to where there are not enough racers in some classes. I would like to see the Super Light classes race with the factory classes but I do not have all the answers to make it work.

Quick Reply: Key West Races

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.