Notices

A Few Startup Questions

Old 07-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Bru
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Startup Questions

Hi, I am completely new here. The largest boat i've ever owned was a 22' fishing boat. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I have a few noob questions:

1. I'm interested in the Scarabs and Formulas(thanks Thunder in Paradise). I know these boats are built for speed but how do they handle in choppy water? I live on Lake Erie and it can get fairly rough at times with no warning.

2. Can these boats be used for calm recreational purposes? What I mean is, can I anchor the boat and do some swimming off of it, scuba diving, etc. and sleeping overnight?

3. I have a wife and 2 smalls boys. Could we sleep in the cabin comfortably? I am 6'4" what is the headroom in the cabin?

Again thank you for your time.

Last edited by Bru; 07-26-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Registered

Smile Take time to look around

wow you have some requirements. First off most 24 degree dead rise boats ride pretty good. The more the weight with that a little better the ride depending on size. But, if you are that tall and expect to stand up in the cabin you eliminate most performance boats. Are you going to trailer or store in marina, that may eliminate a bunch more. Size and beam must be considered also if you trailer. You need to better define your requirements, ride is one thing comfort another. State them better and I am sure you will get better info. Also inboard or outboard? Don't forget the most important $$$$$$.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:16 PM
Bru
Registered

There aren't requirements, but just questions to help me get a better understanding of these type of boats, of which you answered almost none. Thanks though.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:43 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For overnighting look at Black Thunder SC series, Sonics 35 foot and up, Donzi ZX series 33 foot and up
Old 07-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Bru
Registered

Thank I'll look those up!

I've looked at many pictures. I'll try and hone in better of what i'm asking/wondering.

Is there a way to get a swimming ladder and platform on the side or back of a powerboat of at least 33'?

I've seen mostly one actual bed in most of these powerboats. Can the couch be converted at all like in an RV?

I'm 6'4" so i'm used to not fitting in things like these. But I would like to know what the height of an average cabin is. Say a 38' Scarab Thunder for example.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:50 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

This Wwellcraft performance cruiser has 6'5" headroom in the cabin. I guess I should say cabins.

http://47excalibur.com/

Last edited by SB; 07-26-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 406 Likes on 181 Posts

What's your price range?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Bru
Registered

$40,000 would be max as of right now.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
This Wwellcraft performance cruiser has 6'5" headroom in the cabin. I guess I should say cabins.

Wellcraft:: 47' Excalibur For Sale by Owner - Must See!47' EXCALIBUR | 508.878.5272 for sale
I love this boat!!!! It looks like they raised the price from 179. I guess it hasn't sold so you should ask more for it.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Sports boats generally don't have 6'4" headroom. The bed area is usually enough to lie down comfortably but can't sit upright. Opposing lounges are common in the cabin area and many convert to a decent size berth for kids. As lounges, you'd be able to sit upright in most but standing headroom usually under 6'. Only a very few offer 6' or more and they're big boats like a Black Thunder 46 or cruiser style boats like Sea Ray and such.

Boarding ladders are fitted to the stern platform on just about all sports boats, they unfold and drop into the water so access is pretty easy. No side ladders unless you buy an accessory one that sits over the gunnel. Beware of props when jumping out off the back.

Deep V hull design will handle the choppy waters, the classic rule of thumb is a 24 degree deadrise but there's many boats around with slightly lower angles of deadrise that also perform well. In the rough, waterline length and weight will always help but obviously you get into bigger boats, more money, more maintenance etc.

Boats you've mentioned, 38' Scarab is an awesome rough water boat but in the price range, it's gonna be old and may need a huge amount of work. Many (most) older boats have suffered from water damage/rot in the hull core so soggy transom and stringers are quite common and a big job. Older boats also have older engines and drives so be prepared, all that stuff is expensive and can financially cripple a boating dream.

Old Formulas are great boats too but beware all of the above applies.

Scuba diving is possible but if you're trying to store tanks and dive gear for 4 people, there just ain't enough space.

Go and look at a couple of boats and you'll see straight away how much room they offer.

Good luck shopping.

RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.